Fazua motor availability and speed restriction

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
I was interested in the LaPierre eZesty and the Bulls Wild Flow Evo with the Fazua motor. I contacted Fazua about the speed limit for the US market. They responded that they were NOT currently certified in the US or Australia and had no street certification outside Europe as of yet. This leads me to believe two things: One, that the 25kph restriction may be universal (no 32kph or 20mph bump in speed for the US market) and two, that they may not be allowed in all markets worldwide currently.
Hopefully these will change as I would love to have either EMTB for the light weight and the ability to remove the motor and battery to reduce the weight to 14kg and below. Either of these would truly be both a great EMTB and an impressive analog bike.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
My email question
Will the Fazua motor go up to 20mph or 32kph in the US market? The limit here is 20mph and all other e-bike motors here go up to that limit. Thanks,

Response

Hi,
thank you for your mail.
I would like to refer to the fact that currently our drive system has NO certification for the australian and american market and so NO street approval outside Europe! Therefore I can't give you any detailed information about your question, as we are still working on that theme.
Kind regards from Munich
Julia Richter​

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I might be wrong on this, but from what i know of the way the motor works and the kind of riders who like it, the limit is not an issue. Its designed to offer minimal assistance rather than an overriding shove, so wouldn't have though it would be an issue

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
I might be wrong on this, but from what i know of the way the motor works and the kind of riders who like it, the limit is not an issue. Its designed to offer minimal assistance rather than an overriding shove, so wouldn't have though it would be an issue
When Rob rode the motor at Eurobike he said it was like eco or trail on other motors. It would be nice to have it go up to 20mph because although much lighter than other EMTBs it still weighs 4-5kgs more than the average MTB. Plus I wanted to have one EMTB for everything including commuting on flat trails to work.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I wasn't aware there was such a thing as "our drive system has NO certification for the australian and american market". There are so many "drive systems" sold here in the US from many different sources and I would wager none of them have ever said this or even thought about it. What they are really saying I think is that they don't feel they can offer support at this time for their system outside of the EU. Bosch for example was very on top of their service plan before introducing their system here a number of years ago.

There are two camps forming in the eBike market it seems. Those that want as light as possible which is only possible with a small motor and battery, given that the frame and components also follow along. The trade off for light weight is less available power and range to enhance the handling a lighter bike may provide. Given that electric motors are more efficient if not run at their maximum output and proper battery management for longevity means you don't get the use of the full ah rating of any battery a small motor/battery combination, no matter how light, does not make sense to me to add the complexity of an e system in this manner.

The other option is a bigger motor and battery. This allows for the motor size to compensate for it's weight and the ability to run more efficiently as it won't be at it's max all the time. A bigger battery means more range and the weight is once again offset by the larger motor. So with this combination you get longer rides but on a heavier bike.

The handling of a heavier bike may be noticeable to some but it is my experience that it doesn't make that much of a difference, within reason, with an eBike. The mid motor ones especially as the weight of the motor is so low and centered it aids in stability.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles