• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered External dimensions of the Shimano Steps BT-E8020 battery

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Could anyone tell me the external dimensions of the Shimano Steps BT-E8020 battery?​

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Eddie I’ll measure it for you , however it’s almost identical in size to the external Bosch battery if you have one of those . I know the neoprene cover fit Bosch also fit the shimano

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Eddie I’ll measure it for you , however it’s almost identical in size to the external Bosch battery if you have one of those . I know the neoprene cover fit Bosch also fit the shimano
Could there be some confusion going on? E8020 is the internal battery. No tapering or neoprene going on here as far as I know.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Ohh sorry my bad didn’t even consider that Doh!
I was a bit confused when I read "external" in the topic, but that was just the measurements :)

It's not easy finding the answer to this. Haven't found anything in the Shimano tech docs. And google returns this thread as the first result :) As far as I can tell, length is 400mm. No idea about the other figures though. But there's a few people here with that battery, it can be found in a 2018 Scott e-Genius for instance. Hopefully they'll chime in.

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Thanks for trying for me. :)

The Scott arrives this Wednesday, so I can measure the battery for my self. I was just hoping to get an idea, so that I could start to plan things for my forth coming trip to the Swiss Alps, and whether the battery was going to fit inside of my Camelbak Mule. My spare Bosch battery fits in easily, but I'm slightly concerned that the Shimano one might not, which could affect whether or not I take the bike.

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I now have the answer.

The dimensions and spec are as follows.

Battery BT-E8020 36V = 14ah 504wh
Length 375mm
Width 86mm
Depth 92mm
Weight 2,915g

For comparison with my current Bosch external battery.

Battery 36V 13.4ah 500wh
Length 319mm
Width 91mm
Depth 88mm
Weight 2,410g

The weight against manufacturers spec could obviously be inaccurate due to my digital scale, but there is still a difference of 505g between the two. Given that the Swiss trip for example requires two batteries, the extra battery length and additional weight of two batteries of 1,010g is a deal breaker in which bike that I shall be choosing to take.

A square was used for reasons of accuracy, and two squares used for when measuring the length of each.

b2.jpg b1.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles