Extending Cassette life by replacing worn sprocket

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
I'm starting to get slipping on the highest gear 11t sprocket. Done 4300km (I wax my chain every 200-300km). Chain wear has just reached 0.75%, so the chain is ready to swap out, but I don't want to throw away another whole cassette when it's only the smallest sprocket that is worn out. The smallest two sprockets on the CS-HG50 / SLX HG81 (10-speed) cassette come off separately from the main cassette. It seems like Shimano want us to buy a whole new cassette when only 1 or 2 sprockets are worn, because you can't buy original 11t or 13t replacement sprockets (I haven't found any sources).
Has anyone tried the replacement sprockets available from China (via eBay)?

Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you can get 11t and 13t sprockets from anywhere, then maybe they are worth a punt. :unsure:

But you can buy a brand new 10-speed Shimano cassette 11-42 for less than £29 plus postage.

The risk you are taking is that the Chinese copies via eBay do not have the shifting ramps properly formed or even in the correct place. It's true that many bike components are made in China, but what is not known is what happens to the ones that are rejected on quality grounds. They may have been made for Shimano and have all the correct stamps and packaging etc. But are they Shimano rejects?

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
I'm going for the punt! Ordered a 11t sprocket. In Aust., the 11-46t 10sp cassette cost $70 (approx £38), and the sprocket about a 1/10 of that.
At my current mileage, I'm going through a cassette and chain every 6 months.
Apart from the $ saving, I think it's a total waste having to throw out a whole cassette knowing that only 1 or 2 sprockets are worn
I will report back on result.
cheers

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
UPDATE: the low cost replacement 11t & 13t sprockets I put on a worn HG50 cassette (11t & 13t worn) working perfectly after a few 1000km.
From China, available on eBay.

Lucky I kept my old cassettes, now I can get a second life out of them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles