Exact capacity Bosch batteries: voltage x Ah?

antilope

Mar 8, 2023
Europe
I’m a bit confused about the Bosch batteries. If I look at my Bosch 750 Wh battery it says 20.1 Ah and 36 V. When I multiply that I get only 723.6 Wh. Is this normal? Bosch could have labeled it 725 Wh…

And when I look at the new 545 Wh battery, this number looks very exact (545 instead of a rounded number like 550). But even that one has a different capacity (518.4 Wh) when I multiply 36 V by 14.4 Ah, taken from here: The eBike battery: long range, low weight, easy to charge

So why don’t these numbers match, is this just marketing stuff? If so, why don't they choose 550 Wh instead of 545 Wh for example? Or am I missing something?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Bosch have been doing this for years. The 500 is actually 482Wh. It's effing annoying.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Interestingly, the plating label on my 625 claims 17.4Ah making the battery 626.4Wh, not 16.7Ah (601.2Wh)

mctubster

Jul 18, 2023
Nelson, NZ
They have likely chosen a slightly higher nominal (average) battery voltage of 37V, depending on what they have set the BMS to cut out at. Generally peak charge voltage 42V, cutout around 30V ... but the useful capacity to voltage curve is not linear so yeah some flexibly in the numbers there.
Also don't forget depending on the rate of discharge and temperature, you could receive 0-20% less capacity than quoted ... and that is before battery wear.
Have fun!

RiderOnTheStorm

I think the OP raised a fair question. So in my opinion, no need for patronizing remarks @Plummet

Product marketing hype is seeing across the board and is certainly fair game for manufacturers, but when product technical specifications don't align, it just makes you wonder.

The technical data published by Bosch for the "Powertube 750" product is somewhat off with respect to the Wh value, and I think this can be misleading for consumers.

boschdata.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles