European Commission proposes mandatory insurance for pedal assist e-bikes

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
European Commission proposes mandatory insurance for pedal assist e-bikes

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/e-bikes-insurance-375828

European Cyclists Federation press release in full

EUROPEAN COMMISSION DECLARES THAT POWER ASSISTED BICYCLE (PEDELEC) USERS ARE RIDING ILLEGALLY ON EUROPEAN ROADS

The European Commission (EC) has today released its proposal to amend the Motor Vehicle Insurance Directive (MID), which would mean that pedelec users without third party liability insurance would be riding illegally.

“If today`s proposal becomes a law, third party liability insurance will be required that would discourage millions of European citizens to use pedelec, undermine the efforts and investments of several member states and the European Union to promote sustainable mobility” – states Adam Bodor advocacy director of the European Cyclists` Federation.

The EC proposal clarifies the scope of the directive as to which vehicles are mandated to carry third party motor vehicle insurance. This clarification was necessary to avoid the confusion as to which vehicles, and on what geographical area (road, private land etc.) would qualify for a vehicle coming under this Directive. Unfortunately the EC proposal published today includes even the (light) power assisted bicycles – pedelecs under this directive.

In fact in an explanatory introduction to the proposal the European Commission claim that power assisted bicycles should already currently have full motor vehicle insurance (not transport, bicycle, personal or household insurance but full motor vehicle insurance). With this text the European Commission is trying to criminalize millions of current power assisted bicycle users, almost all of whom have some kind of other insurance, and has effectively banned pedelec use without insurance usually reserved for motor vehicles.

A pedelec has a 250 watt battery powered assisted motor (about the power of a good cyclist) which cuts out at 25 km/h. It is only activated when the cyclist pedals and is viewed as a bicycle in other EU legislation (such as type approval – where they are excluded-, driving license Directive and in most Member States road rules). It is being championed by many EU member states and cities as an ideal alternative to motor vehicle use since it is a bicycle which overcomes some of the bicycle barriers such as cycling in hilly areas, older cyclists and cycling in hot weather.

ECF, as well as partners from the bicycle and pedelec industry, lobbied the Commission to make a clear line between a motor vehicle and a power assisted bicycle, to follow other European and national legislation and not oblige the pedelec users to hold a mandatory third party liability insurance. Despite being as safe as a bicycle and rarely involved in third party crashes the Commission decided that this is worthy of being classed as a motorized vehicle.

If there is no change from the European Parliament and Council the scope of the Directive will be;

“1. ‘vehicle’ means any motor vehicle intended for travel on land and propelled by mechanical power, but not running on rails, and any trailer, whether or not coupled

1a. ‘use of a vehicle’ means any use of such vehicle, intended normally to serve as a means of transport, that is consistent with the normal function of that vehicle, irrespective of the vehicle’s characteristics and irrespective of the terrain on which the motor vehicle is used and of whether it is stationary or in motion.

ECF will challenge the European Parliament and Member States to overturn this decision by the Commission to go ahead with criminalizing millions of their citizens, because

There are around 4 million pedelec riders in Germany
Around 45% of bicycle sales in Belgium are pedelec
A quarter of all Dutch cyclists now use a pedelec

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hmmm. Wonder if the insurers have been lobbying for this as the ebike market has grown massively recently.

Still not been passed as law yet so hopefully time for the bike industry to lobby back.

How will the Directive deal with electric bikes and other new types of electric motor vehicles?

The evaluation demonstrated that new types of motor vehicles, such as electric bikes (e-bikes), segways, electric scooters already fall within the scope of the Directive as interpreted by the Court of Justice. Furthermore, in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity, Member States have the power to exempt new types of electric motor vehicles from compulsory third party motor insurance on the condition that a national compensation fund will ensure compensation of victims in case of an accident. So there is no need to bring any legislative changes in this respect.”

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Having third party insurance is a sensible thing for any cyclist, the injuries a cyclist can inflict on a pedestrian can be life changing. I've not yet spent enough time on ebikes to form thoughts on wether they should be treated sperately - other than the ability to accelerate quicker I don't see there is a massive difference to a regular bike.

Anyone checked if the BC third party insurance covers you on ebikes?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
the wording states "mechanically powered" that could be interpreted as a normal bike because its chain driven which is mechanical

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its an interesting one, as for me its actually bringing mandatory insurance for all cyclists a step closer, because really what the difference between a pedelec and a normal bike - not a big jump in legislation. If I was the insurance industry mandatory insurance for cyclists would be something I would spend a lot of time lobbying for as it will open up a massive market.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Mandatory insurance will lead to licencing which means ROAD TAX. Mandatory helmets (not a bad thing)
Another reason to leave the unelected monster.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Theres no such thing as road tax but i hear what you say, these days vechile exise duty is based on emissions which means none from an ebike if we need to be insured does that mean we will need a number plate or display some form of identification. Still if we leave the eu maybe it will be a mute point

Reactions: njn

Hinett

Mar 24, 2018
Derbyshire
Theres no such thing as road tax but i hear what you say, these days vechile exise duty is based on emissions which means none from an ebike if we need to be insured does that mean we will need a number plate or display some form of identification. Still if we leave the eu maybe it will be a mute point
This was my thought to, how will the poets that be know if you are insured or not without your bike having a number plate of some sort. Bikes have not been designed to hold a licence plate so where would it be placed so it does not cause injury to the rider or bike in case of a crash

cheekynuke

Apr 3, 2018
Buckinghamshire
Laws for Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland, all electric bikes are classed as a moped so you will need a moped licence to ride. The bike must also be registered, taxed and insured.

Registering and taxing

To register and tax your bike you will need to complete an V55/4 form and sent it to the DVLA. The address to return the form to is on the form.

You will also need to include:

A registration fee of £55.00 – Payable to the DVLA by cheque or Postal Order
An insurance certificate or cover note
Proof of identity
You won't have to pay to have your bike taxed.

Proving your identity

Easiest way to do this is to send in a photocopy of your photocard driving licence.

If you are unable to do this you must send in photocopies of a document that proves your name and another document that proves your address.

Documents that you can use to prove your name include:

Passport
Marriage certificate
Decree nisi or absolute
Birth certificate
Current UK paper driving licence (not a paper counterpart)
UK Electric Bike Laws - Passport one of the ways to prove your identity

Documents that you can use to prove your address include:

Utility bill from the past 3 months
Bank or building society statement from the past 3 months
Medical card
Council tax bill for the current year
If you happen to be a current DVLA trade plate holder, you can simply prove your name and address by filling out a V959 'Notification of name and address check' form instead.

Riding your electric bike legally

Now that you have your bike registered, to legally ride your electric bike you need to:

Wear an approved motorbike helmet :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Display a registration mark on the back of the bike (you will receive this once your bike is registered)
Have insurance
You don't need to have your electric bike MOT'ed and you can't ride on cycle paths or pavements.

So how long before this happens here ?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
But I guess if you dont use it on the road none of this counts ....anyway that sounds like the kiss of death for e bikes in NI....shame.
My local riding involves numerous bridleways linked by small side roads so seriously glad I am not on NI.
Have fun.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
It may be illegal for you to ride it offroad in NI, it's illegal to ride a moped around the fire roads in the forest, so presumably if an ebike is a moped, that is also illegal?

I came across a report on BBC that they started to try and fix the law in NI to reclasify them as bikes, but the Government there is suspended so nothing is happening.

Clint600f

Apr 9, 2018
Newtownards
It may be illegal for you to ride it offroad in NI, it's illegal to ride a moped around the fire roads in the forest, so presumably if an ebike is a moped, that is also illegal?

I came across a report on BBC that they started to try and fix the law in NI to reclasify them as bikes, but the Government there is suspended so nothing is happening.

That is it exactly, as our government are so inept and can't agree on anything let alone what constitutes a moped at the minute ebikes are illegal!
I believe people have even been prosecuted for having no insurance.
And these shower of c$$ts are still being paid!!!

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Mandatory insurance would be almost impossible to police I would think??

Regarding emissions from an e-bike .. If i've been on the IPA the night before there's plenty from me .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles