Error 510, and 500

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
recently been having motor issues, I've documented it all over the past few weeks and am really just about to book it in with an Orbea dealer before the warranty expires on the 23rd Feb.
In a nutshell it's been spot on for all of 21 and 22, but on a ride on new years eve it started cutting out when descending, I put it down to a loose connection . but then next ride it started displaying error 510 and it's been increasingly hard to clear this. and as of today just realised the cutting out issue was likely "error 500" as today it did it a few times as I was watching the display.

heres all the details I've compiled, thought it would be worth sharing this to see if anyone has had anything similar?

31st Dec, whilst descending on the red north middle section at trail centre it cut out twice, by the time I noticed the screen was blank didn’t catch an error code. Once turned back on it worked fine both times

Jan 4th, attempted to replace frame bearings, replaced chainring with 34T direct mount (didn’t ride it after this)

Jan 9th had new frame bearings fitted at LBS

Jan 14th, 20km ride, first ride after having frame bearings replaced. When I set off it kept saying error 510 on the purion display, but resetting it cured it and it would work after that. Every time I stopped on the ride to go through a gate or clear an obstacle (3-4 times) it wouldn’t start again as it was saying error 510. Resetting it seemed to work and as long as I didn’t stop riding it was ok

Jan 21st, took motor cover off and inspected plugs, all looked fine. Rear magnet on the disc was covered in magnetic dust I removed all that and went for 30Km ride and it was fine, never displayed an error code once

Jan 28th , 5km ride along cycle track all fine

Jan 29th, displaying error 510 from the start, took approx. 20 resets to get it to go. Kept cutting out saying error 510, would take 5-10 resets to go again. Did 8.6km and it never did more than 1km without stopping

1pm after cleaning bike, Removed 34T direct mount chainring and replaced with the standard 32T one to see if it made a difference, short test ride around the block and it still says error 510 every few minutes, but resetting seems to work

3pm, rode into town and back, 1km each way, no problem

4th Feb, went to trail centre. Rode up to top of red north , on way down it cut out at roughly same place as 31st Dec. had to try and restart it 4-5 times before it would go, this time it said Error 500. It would stop working, show the code and then the display goes blank 2-3 seconds later unlike the error 510 which just stays there on the display

Rode back to visitors centre then did the blue, error 510 on the middle climb. Must have attempted to reset it 50 times trying everything I could think of (no pressure on the pedals, whilst freewheeling, with the bike stationary) and ended up pedalling all the way to the top with no assist, at the top I changed the mode from EMTB to tour, reset it and it worked! never threw a fault code again and I finished off the blue, and did the red north and the blue again with no problems. I did the remainder of the day in tour mode but tried out EMBT and turbo for little bits and that didn’t make a difference

anybody have any similar experience?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
another symptom now, after climbing 300m for half an hour it decided to start cutting out with no error code. limped all the way home with it coming on by itself and assisting for 1 second at a time...
Video links:
Orbea wild FS fault
Orbea Wild FS fault
Left the battery disconnected for a few hours whilst I had my lunch and after cleaning the bike I tried it again, got another completely different symptom it is jittery and is displaying error 513 but it does seem to work??
Orbea Wild FS error 513
It's getting booked in this week

Last edited:

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
Update on this, I took it to my local LBS (Orbea dealer) in the hope that they could do the warranty claim (this LBS did a warranty job on my other Orbea road bike last year and got the original seller to cover the labour charge ~£100 ish so I assumed that was normal practice) it seems normal to me anyway, surely if a shop can offer to do that for a small sum of £100 it's cheaper than having to pay for the bike to be couriered to them and then back to me, and also have to diagnose and repair the bike?
so the LBS said I just need to check if the original shop online (in Halifax) was ok with doing that, and based on what I told them the LBS said it probably needs a new motor and they said it would be approx. £100 labour charge
So I phoned the shop in Halifax whilst I was outside the LBS and explained the situation in detail, when they heard error 510 they said "oh thats just magnetic interference we can fix that, send it back to us please"
as I was already at the LBS I got a big bike box from them which was just about to get flattened and recycled, and I packed it up ready to send it back to the shop in Halifax that night
a week later I heard they were on with testing it and I was told they were waiting for it to dry out implying it might be water ingress, slightly worried at this point as I don't ever ride in the rain or through rivers etc but it's a mountain bike it does have to go through puddles at least I can't avoid them
and today they said it needs a new motor and it should be back with me towards the end of next week all going well

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles