Product Image:
20210329_192839.jpg

20210329_192824.jpg

20210329_192930.jpg

20210402_161458.jpg

Product name: Ergon GA3 grips
Price paid: £20.49
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: I've been on a quest for the best grips forever.
I've tried literally dozens of them
I have large hands and suffer from cramps, numbness , pins & needles and general discomfort and pain when riding

The closest I've come to reducing the above ailments to tolerable levels are RevGrips , this was before I tried these !!

At just over £20 they are not too badly priced , 5 times less than I paid for RevGrips, but are they any good ?

Ive put about 100 km on them now and I would say they are the best I've ever used
I put it down to 3 things -
1.The compound , which is soft but supportive
2.The diameter , which is perfect for my hand - i went for large
3.The wing/flange thingy , what ever it's called is the game changer though .
It provides great support to the heel of the hand , enabling pressure to be spread away from more sensitive areas of the hand

I find myself using various hand positions to prevent any particular part of my hands from taking a constant battering and these grips facilitate this.
I've also find I'm less inclined to have a constant death grip which is without a doubt the biggest contributer to my hand pain
I seem to just relax my grip using them

They are well made , top notch quality
Easy to fit , just one allen screw . They literally take seconds to fit
The instructions give recommend position of the wing , it's a good place to start , just suck it and see , you'll soon find what suits you

Available in large and small I believe

I know contact points are subjective and what works for one won't always work for another but if you suffer any hand issues, give them a punt . £20 isn't a vast amount to invest and you could move them on without loosing to much cash.

The build quality is flawless and combined with the fact they have massively reduced my hand pain , I'm giving them a perfect 10

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’ve fitted a set of these a week ago, and although impressed, need to play with the positioning of them. I’m really suffering with tingling hands during and after a ride, so have also ordered some gel grip grab gloves to see if they help.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Stu, do you find that having the wings angled up more reduces the pressure on your hands? Being a typical bloke, I didn’t read the instructions when I fitted mine!

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Stu, do you find that having the wings angled up more reduces the pressure on your hands? Being a typical bloke, I didn’t read the instructions when I fitted mine!
Yes ,that's definitely the idea
Instructions recommend minus 10° to plus 20° from horizontal
Difficult to measure but I'd say mine are at least plus 20°
Little bit of trail and error but easy to dial-in
I found that they work best with constant support on the heal of the hand

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Yes ,that's definitely the idea
Instructions recommend minus 10° to plus 20° from horizontal
Difficult to measure but I'd say mine are at least plus 20°
Little bit of trail and error but easy to dial-in
I found that they work best with constant support on the heal of the hand

Ok, cool, I’ll have a play with them when I go out this morning. ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use the Ergon GP1 and have been doing so for many years. I will not ride a bike without them. Same basic idea as the Ergon GA3. Everybody is different and you need to experiment with the angle of the flat bit. You may be surprised at how level the flat bit ends up, although mine have never gone above horizontal yet. I too would give 10/10

GordS

Jan 10, 2021
Brampton Ontario
I have the GP1 installed and definitely find them more comfortable then the stock grips on my Levo. I also shortened my handle bars by 10cm from 780 to 770cm when I installed these grips. No more sore hands or shoulders.

Ian

Jan 19, 2019
Nairn
I’ve got issues with my hands due to arthritis and have these grips on all my bikes, can’t recommend them enough. They have helped to keep me on the bike and really helps with mobility. A big thumbs up from me?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
the flimsy end caps are junk.

I've been running these with Ergon grips. The diameter is too large so I stick them in a drill and pare them down using some sandpaper. I know it sounds like lot of work for an end cap, but they work well and I've tried many end caps.

The end caps that came with my Orbea Rise work great as well, but I have no idea where I'd buy them separately. The Syncros end caps are pretty good too, but you'd have to buy Syncros grips just to have the end caps...

I don't know why it has to be this hard to get decent grip end caps and I REALLY don't understand why Ergon, of all companies, uses such a shit design...

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
I might be in for a slagging here but on my other bikes I've always used bar ends. Still getting used to the new wide bar setup on the Levo and can't decide if I should chop it down a bit or fit bar ends which would push the grips in 20mm or so.
Another option could be the Ergon GP4, has anyone tried them by any chance?

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
That looks like it would be good for prostate health. I’ve fitted my GA3s but have yet to have a long ride. I still get pins and needles and numbness in my hands even with carbon bars, so hopefully these will make a good difference. I’ve got the Muc-off stealth tubeless repair kits as bar plugs.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I might be in for a slagging here but on my other bikes I've always used bar ends. Still getting used to the new wide bar setup on the Levo and can't decide if I should chop it down a bit or fit bar ends which would push the grips in 20mm or so.
Another option could be the Ergon GP4, has anyone tried them by any chance?

I wonder if these would keep bar mounted displays off the ground if you have to invert the bike?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I got those grips on a bike too. Long XC rides made my fingers numb. I like them very much too, but the flimsy end caps are junk.

I have the GA3’s, both end caps are now broken from spills. I gorilla glued them back together to hold them in place but the end of the grips are all a bit soft & squidgy now. Shame, because the grips themselves are excellent

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How are the bruises?
I want to laugh, but quite a few are still hanging in there in a bit of "ooh look at me" and getting their money's worth. Fortunately the lower abdominal ones have gone - though I checked my leatt 5.0's and was surprised at the marks in that area so took a fairly good hit. Arms and legs still look like drunken modern art. Last weeks tree/OTB seems to have done more to my shoulder than seems apparent. The farmer just came past with his Telescopic/manitou/tele-handler to shift some trees and crap and I was struggling to lift some as I was cutting them. We're locked down so I might have to be sensible and give it some rest time .. uhmmmmmmmmm ....

I now you can't rely on body armour to protect you, but for some idiots it's essential .. I'd be like a jar of strawberry jam without it.

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
One decent ride on the Ergon GA3s and I didn't have any wrist hand trouble for much longer into the ride. In fact it was only after I stopped due to yet another Hypo, that the pins and needles started again after that.

Cory S

Aug 24, 2020
Bradford NH
125 miles now with GA3 grips. My favorite grip ever used now. I previously tried the GP1’s and found that the palm support (obviously larger wing) was better for flat terrain comfort, but I felt that my overall grip was compromised when I needed it. The GA3’s are pure perfection. I run the angle slightly below horizontal as well. My wife does love her cruising rides still with her GP1’s.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles