Ep8 rs full power

Apr 4, 2023
United States
It's already maxed out on profile 2, the assist is still weak off the bottom, and I weigh 130 lb. Perhaps bigger, stronger riders don't notice the same issue. Maybe it's so long riding single speeds, but honestly I'd rather ride my analog bike.

Was thinking about the risk of Shimano not honouring warranty. Let's say, for the sake of easy math, that 10% of the EP8s fail (huge percentage) and a replacement is $1500. That creates a $150 cost to change the Rise. $7000+ bike, but in standard EP8 mode it would be 100% more fun (for me anyway). Works out in my world (touch wood) :).

Cheers.
Tbh I feel like you're doing something wrong. I am a very large out of shape man and I feel like a superhero on my rise on boost. Have you changed the settings in the e-tube app? Stock profile 2 does not max out boost.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Tbh I feel like you're doing something wrong. I am a very large out of shape man and I feel like a superhero on my rise on boost. Have you changed the settings in the e-tube app? Stock profile 2 does not max out boost.
Well, i do almost everything else wrong, but put an ungodly amount of time and effort into bike setup. Nonsensically fussy about making bikes work well for me, (most people would hate them). Just finished revalving the shock on my YT (again :)). The EP8 on it is super fun and the goal picture for the Rise, don't like riding like a gerbil on an exercise wheel.

To each his own.

Cheers.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Official reply from Shimano Canada to request from the shop mechanic to allow reprogramming of EP8-RS (no surprise):

Hello,

Unfortunately we cannot change an RS motor to the non RS version. He’d have to purchase a new Drive Unit.

Louis, lead intern in charge of request denial.
(Okay, I made the last bit up.)

Seems a different level of enthusiasm compared to Shimano Australia.

Cheers.

Last edited:

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Hi all, new to the forum.

My daughter has a Rise H30, myself a Decoy 29. I had the opportunity to ride the Rise for the first time last week and was disappointed in the way the assist comes into play at lower cadence. Definitely not as much fun to ride the Rise on the twisty trails we have. Where the Decoy will smoothly pull a higher gear from corner to corner or up a short punchy climb the Rise will reduce the assist as your cadence falls, necessitating more shifting. Since I rarely use boost on my bike more overall power isn't necessarily the goal, but more grunt would be more fun on the Orbea.

Just back from the dealer to have them clear the service icon on the display on the Rise, inquired with the mechanic as to the likelihood of having Shimano OK changing to EP8 firmware. He's on board and sent an email to Shimano but is not optimistic.

If that doesn't fly I hope to make the change with STunlocker, and would appreciate any advice from those who have gone that route.

Cheers, Andy

My mate is selling his Honda Africa Twin 1100 DCT at the moment, might be more up your street if you want a motorbike you can rev up and go on instead of an assisted MTB?? 😉😂

That said I've got a mate that used to try and snap his chains grinding the crap out of too low a gear on his old analogue bike 😂

Change the assist level in Etube if you want faster power delivery?

Personally as a "lost fitness" MTB, Cross and Road rider - I want to have to put the effort in to get the full assist... If I'm ready to zoom home it's boost and cadence all the way, never need more...

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Well, i do almost everything else wrong, but put an ungodly amount of time and effort into bike setup. Nonsensically fussy about making bikes work well for me, (most people would hate them). Just finished revalving the shock on my YT (again :)). The EP8 on it is super fun and the goal picture for the Rise, don't like riding like a gerbil on an exercise wheel.

To each his own.

Cheers.

I'm with VicenarianEbiker - I'm 205lbs without kit, and boost is hilariously silly fun. Are you relying on the motor too much??

The Gerbil comment, I ride road and the norm there is a cadence in the 80-90 rpm zone - more or less and it's time to shift (for me), under 70 is way too low, puts strain on the knees too - I don't know my cadence on the Rise specifically but it's not low, it's much as it would be on my normal bike, but going faster and with more smiles!

I ride eco and trail mainly unless it's after the pub home time (mostly uphill) or a really silly steep section/obstacle I need to fire up.

You can't stop on a climb in a tiny cog and expect the motor to launch you when you touch the pedals, your analogue bike wouldn't. The Rise is there to be ridden like a real bike with assist.

I do sometimes pull to a stop at a gate or something and try to set off again in a silly high gear, just as I would on my normal bikes, not a fault of the Rise or the RS version, entirely my fault for not anticipating setting off again! Step on the pedals, get moving then gently drop the gears and spin away.

Last edited:

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Official reply from Shimano Canada to request from the shop mechanic to allow reprogramming of EP8-RS (no surprise):

Hello,

Unfortunately we cannot change an RS motor to the non RS version. He’d have to purchase a new Drive Unit.

Cheers.
You could tell them to enquire with Shimano Japan. My dealer in Australia told me Shimano had okayed many Rise software upgrades to full EP8. I bought the Rise expecting that it could be changed to 85nm max torque. It's still not as powerful as a Bosch CX but it's perfect for bike park style riding - helps me balance when going uphill around tight twisty sections.

The extra torque is also very welcome for those of us afflicted with advancing age and advancing arthritis :)

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
You could tell them to enquire with Shimano Japan. My dealer in Australia told me Shimano had okayed many Rise software upgrades to full EP8. I bought the Rise expecting that it could be changed to 85nm max torque. It's still not as powerful as a Bosch CX but it's perfect for bike park style riding - helps me balance when going uphill around tight twisty sections.

The extra torque is also very welcome for those of us afflicted with advancing age and advancing arthritis :)
Appreciate the advice Tony!

Absolutely right about the advancing age and arthritis! My GP just scowled when he looked at the x ray of my hip, "worst OA I've ever seen". My Decoy made riding a blast again.

Cheers.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy

Hello,

Cheers.
If this is the ep8 motor ….i would use Stunlocker….in 5 minute by app you move from rs to full power and viceversa in 1 minute

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
To add the rise has a very low weight limit compared to other ebikes. With kit the limit is like 280lbs while full fats easily handle 300lbs-350lbs. Evidence is right there lol.
I wouldnt start arguing with those kind of evidences because weight limit and motor torque are two completely different variables in that math. My point just is that it has never happened because of motor torque.

If you want to play safe, just dont do anything, its that simple.

@skinnyboy has also same reason I did it. Riding together with different kinds of bikes is just more fun and engaging.

Last edited:

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
If this is the ep8 motor ….i would use Stunlocker….in 5 minute by app you move from rs to full power and viceversa in 1 min
Spot on Texano, took 5 minutes. Really well thought out app.!

Also nice to be able to see the battery state of charge in percentage terms instead of the simplistic five bars Shimano uses, especially as they don't correspond to 20% each. I wouldn't necessarily use the app. on the trail for that feature, but will do a ride and check the charge remaining each time it drops a bar.

Cheers.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I've been running my Rise 2021 for several months with STunlocker. I've been running at 75NM max and 500W in boost, (lower torque and power for trail and eco). I use a range extender when I go for all out boost rides. I have 1300 miles on the motor like this, no issues. I believe with most certainty that this motor is nothing more than an EP8 with an rs sticker on it and that it was detuned to increase range and keep weight low. This bike is so much fun to ride like this, I've owned about 5 other ebikes and none can compare to this lightweight weight/big power experience.

Please note that the new Giant Trance X E+ (Yamaha Syncdrive pro) and the Rotwild RX375 (Shimano EP8) are equipped to ride this way, both are smaller battery lightweights with motors capable of full power (with option to use full power built-in), so there is definitely evidence that this is already possible in the market, only that Orbea seems to want to control the "user experience", i.e. no negative reviews about range etc. I'm completely able to manage my own battery capacity, thank you.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
I've been running my Rise 2021 for several months with STunlocker. I've been running at 75NM max and 500W in boost, (lower torque and power for trail and eco). I use a range extender when I go for all out boost rides. I have 1300 miles on the motor like this, no issues. I believe with most certainty that this motor is nothing more than an EP8 with an rs sticker on it and that it was detuned to increase range and keep weight low. This bike is so much fun to ride like this, I've owned about 5 other ebikes and none can compare to this lightweight weight/big power experience.

Please note that the new Giant Trance X E+ (Yamaha Syncdrive pro) and the Rotwild RX375 (Shimano EP8) are equipped to ride this way, both are smaller battery lightweights with motors capable of full power (with option to use full power built-in), so there is definitely evidence that this is already possible in the market, only that Orbea seems to want to control the "user experience", i.e. no negative reviews about range etc. I'm completely able to manage my own battery capacity, thank you.
Nailed it.

Cheers.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I've been trail riding my H15 for 3 months or so - I increased max power using STunlocker to try it but it kills the battery so much faster. I then played around a bit to find power settings that worked best for me and ended up using 30/40/50 for practically all my riding. I found the stock eco 20 too low to be useful, and stock boost 60 just not needed so I start every ride at 30 with 40 for harder climbs, and use 50 on climbs after a few hours when my legs get tired. Riding with mates on older full fat bikes I never get left, and generally have ~40% left when they're down to the last bar and panicking. I have the second mode set at 20/40/60 in case i want more power or am desperate to get range but have never used it.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden

Hi, why 75 Nm and not 85 Nm?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Hi, why 75 Nm and not 85 Nm?
Only because didn't feel necessary to take all the way to 85, the power wattage setting feels like it does more for the motor's grunt in general, also bike is so light not sure it really needs 85, but I will try it eventually.

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
For context : H30 bought in 2022 with aim to upgrade spec from the off. All work done and also bought PCE02. I then used STUnlocker to unlock to full 85Nm but played with the profiles and amended to USA for 20 mph / 32 kph. I did find it irritating STUnlocker licences per bike but que sera it keeps the software dev going... or does it ?

Fast forward to 2023 and lovely wife tried my Rise and wants one !!! New 2023 H30 with EP6 arrives and I did a bit more research after I was told STUnlocker not doing anything for EP6 and found eMax Tuning FREE. With it I connect to the new bike via the PCE02 and it unlocks the power settings via manual input or a handy "Set to EP6" button that put in settings to unlock full power.

Now to get it to 20 mph / 32 kph I would need to again licence but TBH my wife is not needing that added support as she won't go do any knarly stuff.

Point is there's options out there and they don't all have to cost you. I find it hard to believe the eMax guys let you use their software for tuning unlock and provide great support (I sent questions re EP6 abilities). STUnlocker is used and rated by many so you pay's your money and make's your choice....

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Point is there's options out there and they don't all have to cost you. I find it hard to believe the eMax guys let you use their software for tuning unlock and provide great support (I sent questions re EP6 abilities). STUnlocker is used and rated by many so you pay's your money and make's your choice....
The PCE02 isn't free last time I checked, that's the most expensive part to making this work. I think the STunlocker license fee is quite reasonable. If all you want is derestriction is much cheaper than options out there for Specialized and other non-shimano motors.

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
The PCE02 isn't free last time I checked, that's the most expensive part to making this work. I think the STunlocker license fee is quite reasonable. If all you want is derestriction is much cheaper than options out there for Specialized and other non-shimano motors.
I don't think the PCE02 is needed for eMax. I just happened to have it and find it easier.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I've never heard of anyone able to alter torque and power from a mobile app via bluetooth. To my knowledge is only possible with Windows + PCE02 which happens to cost $200-$300 in the US, totally worth it for what it does for EP8rs.

If someone else has been able to unlock the EP801 with emax without a PCE02 (i.e. via Bluetooth), please post about it here!

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
I've never heard of anyone able to alter torque and power from a mobile app via bluetooth. To my knowledge is only possible with Windows + PCE02 which happens to cost $200-$300 in the US, totally worth it for what it does for EP8rs.

If someone else has been able to unlock the EP801 with emax without a PCE02 (i.e. via Bluetooth), please post about it here!
Did you actually read the info on the website - they seem to believe it does the torque at least which for a free app is a heck of a thing to offer.

Totally agree on PCE02 - only bit that annoyed me was having to get a Windows laptop as the house is 100% Mac. :D

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Did you actually read the info on the website - they seem to believe it does the torque at least which for a free app is a heck of a thing to offer.

Totally agree on PCE02 - only bit that annoyed me was having to get a Windows laptop as the house is 100% Mac. :D
Yes, and states you need the PCE02 calls it a "cable", so would be free software + $200-$300 for adaptor, not exactly free. Real question is will it work with BT and mobile version...this I doubt.

Derestriction of top speed requires $119 euro license

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy

Right NOW the only way is the pce02

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Interesting thing discovered … we have in ep801 4 level of max power 3 for basic mode and 1 for fine tune.
For the rs unit they are set for basic 150 250 350 and for fine tune 350. I am wondering if in fine tune we have an one only level of max power or is Just a max power limitation for fine tune whatever will be the eco trail boost set in basic.
In the full Power all for are set 600watt.

IMG_6157.jpeg

Major Clod

Aug 20, 2023
Australia
You could tell them to enquire with Shimano Japan. My dealer in Australia told me Shimano had okayed many Rise software upgrades to full EP8.
@Tony4wd would you be able to send me a DM of the shop you purchased from in Aus? I'm planning on getting a Rise H-series and would be great to know which shops are more "flexible" with these sorts of requests. I don't want to get stuck with a dealer who isn't interested in helping. Cheers

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
@Tony4wd would you be able to send me a DM of the shop you purchased from in Aus? I'm planning on getting a Rise H-series and would be great to know which shops are more "flexible" with these sorts of requests. I don't want to get stuck with a dealer who isn't interested in helping. Cheers
It was crooze.com.au which is still trading, but the business has been sold to new owners and no longer supplies Orbea. I suggest you ask the shop you intend to purchase from about changing the software before purchase - if they don't want to do it try another shop.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
My local were happy flash to full EP8 with a request through shimano (I had brought the bike from them)

I've dialed back the settings as it was too much for what I want from the bike.

RiseRider

Aug 6, 2023
Germany
u can unlock 85NM for 1 buck on the app store... emaxmobile app for iphone... the developer recently added this feature for ep801 rs...
unlock speed restriction is not possible yet via the app but it is possible via pc interface

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles