EP8 Bikes: Arrival Dates and First Impressions

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
From what I've heard and read, Shimano is suppose to be shipping the updated EP8 motors sometime in December to the OEMs. We should see new bikes equipped with the EP8 motor arriving at our LBS or at our doorsteps shortly thereafter. For those who have ordered a new EP8 equipped bike, post the forecasted arrival date and your first impressions when it arrives.

Here is what I've got ordered:

Bike: Fezzari Wire Peak
Build: Pro, Silver, Medium
Forecasted Arrival Date: Late December 2020/Early January 2021

Build: Pro, Olive, Medium

Build: Elite, Olive, Medium
Forecasted Arrival Date: May 2021

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
In Canada here - here is what I have ordered:

Bike: Commencal Meta Power
Build: SX Signature 2021
Forecasted Arrival Date: March 2021 (been told via email that it will be shipped March 15th)

Last edited:

Grizzly110

Oct 5, 2020
Maidstone
Bike: Propain Ekano
Build: Custom build 29/27.5 Zeb Ultimate / Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate
Estimated Delivery Date: Late December

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Will post first impressions on the motor this weekend. Got the bike yesterday in the US, even though arrival date always said Dec 2021.
C3D527BB-F40D-4ED6-950D-C94CA85BC0C8.jpeg

Tim

Feb 2, 2019
Belgium
Wouldn’t the cost of gasoline, tol & boat/train ticket be much higher then the 10% discount you would get?

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
looking to test 165-170mm crank arms on my 160mm E13 E*spec equipped 2021 Commencal Meta Power 29 & finding almost zero availability of what Shimano lists as compatible..mostly due to early days I presume:

can anyone confirm that E8000-compatible crank arms will not fit/work with EP8?

thanks

Screenshot_20200831-025231_1.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
From what I've heard and read, Shimano is suppose to be shipping the updated EP8 motors sometime in December to the OEMs. We should see new bikes equipped with the EP8 motor arriving at our LBS or at our doorsteps shortly thereafter. For those who have ordered a new EP8 equipped bike, post the forecasted arrival date and your first impressions when it arrives.

Here is what I've got ordered:

Build: Pro, Silver, Medium

Build: Pro, Olive, Medium

Build: Elite, Olive, Medium
Forecasted Arrival Date: May 2021
Why have you got three bikes on order?

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
Why have you got three bikes on order?

I really wanted a Pro for me and an Elite for my wife. But, because the Elite was back ordered until May, I also put a down payment on another Pro. We’ll pull back on one bike before we have to pay the balance in January.

Unless you all think I need a spare? ?

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
looking to test 165-170mm crank arms on my 160mm E13 E*spec equipped 2021 Commencal Meta Power 29 & finding almost zero availability of what Shimano lists as compatible..mostly due to early days I presume:

can anyone confirm that E8000-compatible crank arms will not fit/work with EP8?

thanks

View attachment 45099

I read that the EP8 requires EP8 specific cranks, but I don’t recall where I read it. Ill see if I can find it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I really wanted a Pro for me and an Elite for my wife. But, because the Elite was back ordered until May, I also put a down payment on another Pro. We’ll pull back on one bike before we have to pay the balance in January.

Unless you all think I need a spare? ?
Deffo you need a spare, you are going to have to send every warranty claim back to Italy. :ROFLMAO:

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
I read that the EP8 requires EP8 specific cranks, but I don’t recall where I read it. Ill see if I can find it.

Here is where I read it. Not sure of the authenticity.

5505F22D-0358-4239-892D-444706B081BA.jpeg

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
Deffo you need a spare, you are going to have to send every warranty claim back to Italy. :ROFLMAO:

Haha. Fortunately, Fezzari is just down the street so I should be able to get help quickly enough. But, if I have motor problems, I’ll be in the same boat as everyone else.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
Here is where I read it. Not sure of the authenticity.

View attachment 45130
yup read that too. my guess is that only EP8 specific crank arms will interface with the direct mount-to-motor chainring setup.
I'd be shocked if E13 arms were cross-compatible with Shimano chainring or vice versa

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
I took delivery of a 2021 Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature last week. Took it for its first test ride on the weekend, its rides great, the EP8 motor feels awesome, lots of power and it was always there when i needed it. switched between trail and boost but mainly left it in boost, just dropped into trail when i wanted more control going up wet roots and leaves, a small crank in boost can give a big surge of power at low speed so trail helped to control power delivery (it was a wet day, with leaves covering everything).

Its very quiet going up hill, there is a bit of motor noise but only a bit if you peddle hard, its a nice noise though. Did i hear a rattle going downhill? no I really didnt notice anything. the bike felt solid and planted with no rattles. if you pick up and drop the back wheel when off the bike you can hear a click, or when moving the bike backwards you can hear a click as the gears engage but i didnt notice any rattling.

I used the Etube app, it takes ages to find the system from a phone but once connected works ok, and i could custom adjust the 3 power modes all fine.

Can't wait to ride it again!

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
The above asumptions of my ride route are laughable :ROFLMAO:

My first ride last week was a mix of steep freeride downhill loam trails, jumps, drops, footpaths, rooty single track, tarmac, everything really.

Today I went out with the sole intention of hitting as many roots and steps just to post back on here ;) I rode to the push up path at Aston Hill Bike Park, which is 8 minutes from my house, the bike park is closed due to UK COVID lock down, so I stayed on the push up which is a public footpath. It is covered in roots, big and small, and has a steep section with about 8 big wooden steps. I rode up and down the path about 6 times. It was a lot of fun, the FOX suspension is amazing and riding back up the section I normally have to push up made me simle, a lot!

I noticed a "bit" of a click from the motor when the bike was skipping over roots at the top of its travel, in the high speed motion of the suspension. When the bike was weighted more and in the mid stoke or during low speed motion the click is not really there. On the big step drops it wasnt noticable. When hitting stuff fast, the wind noise and tyre noise are way louder than any click...and to be honest the clicks i did hear are really not that loud and no reason not to buy an EP8 bike. If I hadn't been tring to hear a click, I wouldn't have heard it tbh.

Last edited:

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
The above asumptions of my ride route are laughable :ROFLMAO:

My first ride last week was a mix of steep freeride downhill loam trails, jumps, drops, footpaths, rooty single track, tarmac, everything really.

Today I went out with the sole intention of hitting as many roots and steps just to post back on here ;) I rode to the push up path at Aston Hill Bike Park, which is 8 minutes from my house, the bike park is closed due to UK COVID lock down, so I stayed on the push up which is a public footpath. It is covered in roots, big and small, and has a steep section with about 8 big wooden steps. I rode up and down the path about 6 times. It was a lot of fun, the FOX suspension is amazing and riding back up the section I normally have to push up made me simle, a lot!

I noticed a "bit" of a click from the motor when the bike was skipping over roots at the top of its travel, in the high speed motion of the suspension. When the bike was weighted more and in the mid stoke or during low speed motion the click is not really there. On the big step drops it wasnt noticable. When hitting stuff fast, the wind noise and tyre noise are way louder than any click...and to be honest the clicks i did hear are really not that loud and no reason not to buy an EP8 bike. If I hadn't been tring to hear a click, I wouldn't have heard it tbh.

I feel like the rattle is a storm in a teacup and a few people will miss out on how great this package is due to this "problem".

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
I feel like the rattle is a storm in a teacup and a few people will miss out on how great this package is due to this "problem".
I completely agree, the EP8 works great and it ate up 15 miles of trails and freeride in 1.5 hours yesterday, like I was driving my 3.0L Audi Quattro. ?

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
Just got an update from Fezzari. They are building my Wire Peak now. That's several weeks ahead of their initial estimate. Either they were sandbagging or the EP8 motors are now coming in earlier than originally estimated. Either way, I'm feeling the stoke. They say it will take about a week to get the build complete and then I'll drive down and pick it up in person. I'll post pics and first impressions when I get it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles