EP8 Aftermarket Availability

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Does anyone know if Shimano is selling the EP8 Motor as an aftermarket option? From what I understand, same mounting configuration as its predecessor. I haven't been able to find anyone who is selling just the motor. Jas anybody switched out their Steps E8000 with the new EP8?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My current understanding is based upon random reading of stuff in various places, so no real knowledge that I would bet money on. But....

The EP8 has the same bolt holes in the same places as the e8000. But that is the end of the compatibility. The cables are totally different, connectors also. It's a big job, someone on here has done it, but he was a bike electrician or something like that.
Also, Shimano are not currently selling the EP8 as an aftermarket option. I have no idea of they ever plan to do so.

But I do wish they would open up about their plans for the e8000.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
E8000 is being discontinued Steve. in favour of the shitty E7000.
It will still be in production for some time as they plan on having warranty supply for... well... me really ;)

although not a stock item to buy off the shelf the E8000 motor is available to buy through an authorised retailer/dealer. I almost bought one as a spare last week. I'd imagine the same to be true of the EP8. but Madison have no stock just now.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
E8000 is being discontinued Steve. in favour of the shitty E7000.
It will still be in production for some time as they plan on having warranty supply for... well... me really ;)

although not a stock item to buy off the shelf the E8000 motor is available to buy through an authorised retailer/dealer. I almost bought one as a spare last week. I'd imagine the same to be true of the EP8. but Madison have no stock just now.
That is sad news, disappointing news. My bike and motor will be out of warranty in two weeks and has no problems at all. Which is a good thing, right? :)
So why do I feel let down by Shimano? :(

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I seriously doubt after 2 years use your motor has no bearing wear.

The real question is why woukd you think of a company worth multimillions who's business model is to constantly develop new products and discontinue their older ones as something you can rely on long term.

I miss Rowntrees Cabanas but I didn't feel "let down" by the company when they stopped making them.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

The real question is why woukd you think of a company worth multimillions who's business model is to constantly develop new products and discontinue their older ones as something you can rely on long term.

I miss Rowntrees Cabanas but I didn't feel "let down" by the company when they stopped making them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I didn't say it had no bearing wear (of course it will it's two years old), what I said was that it has no problems at all. Maybe I should have added "that I can feel".
I agree that Shimano constantly develops and improves its products, but in the main their products are either retro compatible or cheap enough to replace. I once had to drop down from an old XT calliper to a newer SLX because the way the hose connected had changed. No biggie, it worked just fine. But we are not talking here of low cost components but of the heart of the bike, an expensive heart too, and one that currently is not viewed as maintainable. I am aware that one of our members has done just that, seemingly with good effect, but our resident expert who does that sort of stuff for a living still won't touch Shimano motors. I feel let down by Shimano because they give the appearance of not giving a flying fart about the customers that have already shelled out many hundreds of pounds on their products and with no apparent care for what they will do with their bikes that have cost thousands. If they have made a customer focussed statement covering this, or even an industry one, I have yet to see it.

To compare the pending withdrawal of an electric motor costing hundreds of pounds, whose withdrawal affects the value of a bike costing thousands of pounds, with that of a chocolate bar is more than a bit silly.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I didn't say it had no bearing wear (of course it will it's two years old), what I said was that it has no problems at all. Maybe I should have added "that I can feel".
I agree that Shimano constantly develops and improves its products, but in the main their products are either retro compatible or cheap enough to replace. I once had to drop down from an old XT calliper to a newer SLX because the way the hose connected had changed. No biggie, it worked just fine. But we are not talking here of low cost components but of the heart of the bike, an expensive heart too, and one that currently is not viewed as maintainable. I am aware that one of our members has done just that, seemingly with good effect, but our resident expert who does that sort of stuff for a living still won't touch Shimano motors. I feel let down by Shimano because they give the appearance of not giving a flying fart about the customers that have already shelled out many hundreds of pounds on their products and with no apparent care for what they will do with their bikes that have cost thousands. If they have made a customer focussed statement covering this, or even an industry one, I have yet to see it.

To compare the pending withdrawal of an electric motor costing hundreds of pounds, whose withdrawal affects the value of a bike costing thousands of pounds, with that of a chocolate bar is more than a bit silly.
Have they said they won't be able to repair or replace the e8000 motor?

I get that it's discontinued and replaced by the ep8, but that doesn't automatically mean they cant/won't repair or replace it when it breaks.
There will come a day when they won't repair or replace it, but I would think that day will be years off.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
its products, but in the main their products are either retro compatible or cheap enough to replace.
Er... No they're not mate

Try replacing a right hand road 10 speed Sti lever for a 5 year old 105 shod roadbike.
just one example of thousands of no longer made replacement parts with absolutely no backwards compatibility from their current ranges
It's really not. I don't think you realise just how much I absolutely loved the devine coconutty cherry chocolatey mix those bars had.
Whereas I'm really not that fussed whether I had an Ebike or not. it's about my 8th favourite bike behind 5mtbs, a roadbike and my BMX. If it dies 2 years down the line and out of warranty it's no biggie. I used to kill DH frames/forks/shocks/wheels worth way more every year.

Let's get things into perspective here. The motor you're getting your knickers in a twist about replacing is still being produced and is still available to order from your LBS. No matter how much I hassle Karim in the local shop I STILL can't get a Cabana

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have they said they won't be able to repair or replace the e8000 motor?

I get that it's discontinued and replaced by the ep8, but that doesn't automatically mean they cant/won't repair or replace it when it breaks.
There will come a day when they won't repair or replace it, but I would think that day will be years off.
Shimano do not offer a repair on the e8000 motor. As far as I can tell (apart from the one Forum member that has done it on his own motor), nobody else does either. So that day is not years off it's already happened. As for replacement, if they have already stopped manufacture, then it is a matter of I would suggest two years at the most. They know how many bikes have been sold with e8000 motors and when they were sold, they now how long they last on average and will have done the maths. Shimano are not going to make more motors than they need.

But as others have said on this Forum, when the need arises large enough, handy people will step in and offer the service at a cost. That will be fine as far as it goes, because it will probably be bearings that need replacing, but what about stripped gears?

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
I think you feel let down by Shimano because this is the first bike component to have an element of, oh I dunno let's call it "cock blocking" by the manufacturer.

You wanted those new wheels? bolt em up! Fancy an XTR shifter? fill ya boots. In that regard the component known as the motor is a completely different entity.

That said If everything was available to get it done, cables/software/motor/etc I'd give it a go once warranties are well and truly expired, or I had a motor failure to repair.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles