ENDURA MT500 Waterproof II Jacket: ExoShell60 vs ExoShell40DR material

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Last few weeks I was (and still am) on a hunt for buying ENDURA MT500 Waterproof II Jacket which use to be made from ExoShell60 material (with waterproofnes 18.000mm and breathability 64,000 gm/m2/24hr), but now I'm seeing almost all dealers updated this jacket specs (I guess new models are out) which now says it is made from ExoShell40DR material, which seems like a downgrade to me, a little bit more waterproofnes with 20.000mm, but much less breathability with 'only' 40.000 gm/m2/24hr. What are your comments on this? Still worth so much money or better to go for a cheaper Leatt DBX 5.0 Jacket?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
They are probably working from customer feedback (let's be charitable, Endura are a good company).
I have a Rohan Elite jacket and it is 20,000 for each and I have yet to find that it lacks breathability, or water resistance. I was blown away by the 64,000 gm/m2/24hr breathability that Endura promised on the original MT500. I still cannot imagine how 40,000 is possible without letting in the rain!

The choice is yours, but I have never bought an Endura product that has in any way disappointed me.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Last few weeks I was (and still am) on a hunt for buying ENDURA MT500 Waterproof II Jacket which use to be made from ExoShell60 material (with waterproofnes 18.000mm and breathability 64,000 gm/m2/24hr), but now I'm seeing almost all dealers updated this jacket specs (I guess new models are out) which now says it is made from ExoShell40DR material, which seems like a downgrade to me, a little bit more waterproofnes with 20.000mm, but much less breathability with 'only' 40.000 gm/m2/24hr. What are your comments on this? Still worth so much money or better to go for a cheaper Leatt DBX 5.0 Jacket?
I went for the mt500 earlier in the year and sent it back, as i found it awful for waterproofness, worse than my singletrack jacket. I do think endura have lowered their quality as earlier endura stuff i bought felt much better. I bought the leatt dbx 5, much better for keeping out the elements altho the hood is a bit small to go over my helmet but just as good underneath. The leatt is a heavyduty jacket but does have good ventilation.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I went for the mt500 earlier in the year and sent it back, as i found it awful for waterproofness, worse than my singletrack jacket. I do think endura have lowered their quality as earlier endura stuff i bought felt much better. .................
That is so disappointing to read. :(

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
That is so disappointing to read. :(
Yeah i was very disappointed as i had done alot of research and reading reviews. The way the hood stowed was awful and would pull up on the back of the jacket thereby shortening the hem at the back, but after using it 3 times in 30min thunderstorms and finding my chest arms and pockets soaked it went back.
The leatt saw me over dartmoor for 3hrs in storm alex and i had some dampness on my arms but still nice and warm, and yesterday 3hrs in lashing rain and the same damp arms and nice and warm. Thats with just a long sleeved jersey on, so for me the leatt is better

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire

Im literally weighing up those two options. So many great reviews and much positivity towards the MT500 II and also for the DBX 5.0 too with a leaning towards the MT500 II in many media circles. However the vibe im picking up online generally from customers comments points me towards the DBX 5.0.

Could be a flipping of the coin situ this.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Try this slight variation of the coin flip.
Assign one choice to each side of the coin as usual, flip as usual, and look at the result as usual.
But whatever the result is, ask yourself "Am I pleased?"
If not, buy the other one!

Played best 3....its the Mt500 then...... I'll hang onto the returns bag! ;)

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Played best 3....its the Mt500 then...... I'll hang onto the returns bag! ;)
Man I hope you won't make a mistake! This Leatt jacket looks and feels bloody awsome, extremely well made, I can't wait to wear it on proper rides, although it looks so good on me I would rather wear it for fancy stuff than wet and muddy rides :ROFLMAO:

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Man I hope you won't make a mistake! This Leatt jacket looks and feels bloody awsome, extremely well made, I can't wait to wear it on proper rides, although it looks so good on me I would rather wear it for fancy stuff than wet and muddy rides :ROFLMAO:

Dont say that......**gets coin out again** :LOL:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
What price difference have you found between Mt500 & DBX5? I've got DBX5 for almost 100€ less (was last one) than Mt500 so this was another strong plus which helped to flip my coin towards DBX5 ...

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
What price difference have you found between Mt500 & DBX5? I've got DBX5 for almost 100€ less (was last one) than Mt500 so this was another strong plus which helped to flip my coin towards DBX5 ...

Thats a great price difference.!!! wheres that from? The best I could see was only £27. Seen MT500 II for £206 and DBX5 for £179. Impressed with that price. Id looked for last seasons MT500, (liked it in Red) but theyre nowhere to be found in stock.

Ive not yet pulled the trigger.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire

Just ordered the MT500 II . What a headscrew that was to decide! :D

andyjayh

Sep 28, 2020
Guildford
I have the MT500 jacket and it’s Ok, which isn’t great for a jacket that cost so much. First one I had didn’t last long as I had a spill at BPW and tore the sleeve, not the jackets fault and I passed it on to my Brother. I bought a second whilst at BPW and that one has suffered from the internal seam tape pealing off.

Recently I’ve started to Use Fox Clothing and I’ve been really impressed in comparison. I bought a pair of Ranger Water and Flexair pants and they are fantastic. Appreciate these aren’t jackets but I will buy a Fox jacket next.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I have the MT500 jacket and it’s Ok, which isn’t great for a jacket that cost so much. First one I had didn’t last long as I had a spill at BPW and tore the sleeve, not the jackets fault and I passed it on to my Brother. I bought a second whilst at BPW and that one has suffered from the internal seam tape pealing off.

Recently I’ve started to Use Fox Clothing and I’ve been really impressed in comparison. I bought a pair of Ranger Water and Flexair pants and they are fantastic. Appreciate these aren’t jackets but I will buy a Fox jacket next.
I’m sure Endura would look after you... I’d give them the opportunity to replace it.

The Fox Ranger jacket is lovely, but it’s like a full on winter coat! There’s no way I could go riding in that - I’d boil. The Ranger 3L trousers were also lovely, just ridiculously short on me. Like 3/4 length short.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I didn't buy the Endura MT500 jacket because there was too many (compared to the luxurious price) negative feedbacks. The water tightness and seams doesn't seem to be 100% quality.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Just had first run out in MT500 II and its spot on. Warm and comfy enough got the trousers too. All good.

Yet to know what its like when its chucking it down but was champion for me in the cold damp stuff this morning.

Just a side note opted for nutmeg colour and its quite a bit darker than it looks online. Way better imo.

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
I'd vote for the MT 500, both the wife and i have the jacket and I have two pairs of trousers they keep me warn and dry all the time. Expensive but fab kit, no problems at all.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Salko have you managed to try it out yet? And what size did you go for? They do feel like they could survive a nuclear blast dont they?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
No, not yet, I'm waiting for proper conditions ... I went for size M (according to Leatt size chart), it fits okay but if I could I will rather go for size L but is not available anymore. It sure feels/looks they could survive a lot.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I bought a mkll MT500 at the same time I picked up the bike ( early October ) ..I still have a mk1.
I'm a fan of this brand ..but nothing is fully waterproof ..including this kit .
Looked after though ..it should give years of good service

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I bought an MT500 Jacket v1 this week for £149.99, there are quite a few around vs the v2. Cycle store and EBay.

I went for black.

Yet to really test it but it’s a good design, didn’t find the hood stowing pulled up the bottom of the jacket.

Bought trousers too which kept all the mud and water at bay on and 18 miler through very wet and muddy woods. I have the Humvee waterproofs too and they worked well on the one time I tried them......but had to get the MT500 trousers to match........the Wife won’t notice

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Got caught in a downpour today with mt500 'waterproof' jacket and endura mtr 'waterproof' trousers. Got effin soaked not happy at all considering how much this gear costs. Trousers are 1 month old and this is first time I've worn them in rain. Jacket is 11 months old and only worn around 20 times. Never been in a washing machine. Contacted them direct and they're not interested, just tell me to speak to whoever I bought it from.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Bumpy ..when you say that its never been in a washing machine ..does this also mean that its never been hand washed ?
My jacket lasted about four rides before it soaked through ..as I was just brushing the dried mud off ..however as soon as it has been through a wash cycle following the manufacturers guidelines ..ie washing the tray on the machine so that it is free of powder & softener and using a technical garment solution like Grangers or Nikwax it needs re-proofing again .
Once done the jacket works well until it needs washed again ..when re-proofing is a constant part of the cleaning cycle ..as mentioned on a previous post my re-proofer of choice would be Ballistol Pluvonin..if you can source it !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles