eMTB Realistic Battery Cover Gaps

Murdylicious

Feb 3, 2022
Sheffield
Hi everybody,

I've read lots of battery cover threads on here for specific bikes but I just wondered what is an acceptable battery cover gap overall.

I bought a Orbea Wild H30 and the gap at the top seemed big to me so i went to the shop and they swapped it me.

It's a little better but there is still a 1mm gap as far as I'm concerned! I'm in manufacturing so I no this is relatively hard to achieve and there seems to be protection to stop any ingress getting to the battery connections inside as well but want to know if I should be returning it for not being a perfect fit.

Are they supposed to be water tight like specialized is and some others?

What sort of gaps are people rocking? (battery covers not jumps!!)

Sorry for the picture quality, thought it was better than that! Any pics of other peoples appreciated.

gap.jpg

Thanks in advance

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hi everybody,

I've read lots of battery cover threads on here for specific bikes but I just wondered what is an acceptable battery cover gap overall.

I bought a Orbea Wild H30 and the gap at the top seemed big to me so i went to the shop and they swapped it me.

It's a little better but there is still a 1mm gap as far as I'm concerned! I'm in manufacturing so I no this is relatively hard to achieve and there seems to be protection to stop any ingress getting to the battery connections inside as well but want to know if I should be returning it for not being a perfect fit.

Are they supposed to be water tight like specialized is and some others?

What sort of gaps are people rocking? (battery covers not jumps!!)

Sorry for the picture quality, thought it was better than that! Any pics of other peoples appreciated.

View attachment 81395

Thanks in advance

Acceptable battery cover gap is the one that allows you to go through super muddy trip, wash your bike (not high pressure washer but high volume washer) and take out a dry battery after the wash. So be practical and forget about the looks. There was a discussion here how to add extra protection from water. Try maybe it will be possible to do in your Orbea too: Reign E+ 2022 - EMTB Forums

Is your battery and the cover screwed together? If so then it is relatively easy to make the gap smaller by changing the position of the battery. In most bikes it is possible to adjust the battery position by changing the position of the battery mounts.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
The one on my Decoy looks bigger than this, but they all seem to be like that so I'm just not worrying about it. I am very careful with washing and try not to directly spray (using low pressure hose) the area around the motor. If I pull the battery, there is nearly always some amount of mud / crap in there though. Doesn't seem to have caused any issues to far.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
When my new bike arrives gonna make a neoprene cover to cover the battery to keep out the mess also will insulate a bit from the cold in winter

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles