EMTB racing thread

b45her

Dec 1, 2019
wales
You do know your CX020 produces double that, eh?
Bosch claim the the motor offers up to 340% support, so that makes it’s peak power output around 850 watts, with a torque output of 75Nm. Interestingly that’s still a bit short of the Brose Mag S (90Nm / 410% support) and the TQ 120 (120Nm).
if this is what your referencing thats not how it works. the above info is totally incorrect.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it was in reply to this post of yours.
if the motor produces more than 250 watts it's not an ebike by legal definition. its an electric motorcycle.
it doesn't actually matter how I came to know your motor outputs more than 250w.
Fact is it does.
All the currently popular class 1 Emtb motors do

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Electric bikes: licensing, tax and insurance

same in europe unless its a speed pedalec.

Not quite. In the EU it is "cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW". Max power and max continuous power are two very different things. Max power could be tested, but max continuous power is a figure claimed by the manufacturer. A motor maker like Bafang can claim that their motors are rated for 100w continuous if they wanted and they could peak at 2000w and still be within the law.

Bike EU

Motors are only limited in power by the practicality of using it. If it is big, weighs a ton, and eats batteries for breakfast, not many people will want it for everyday riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Whooooooooshhhhhhh...

While we're here exchanging compliments, you seem a bit thick.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
sorry @Levo19 . "thick" is probably a bit strong. A bit slow on the uptake is what I mean. Rob knows fine well my feelings on emtb racing. They're certainly no secret. But also don't really need repeating here. My "just popped in to grab my coat" comment was a joke that is perhaps lost in intercontinental-translation. Either way it wasn't meant for you and has clearly gone over your head but I can assure you when I typed it there was no sucking of anything on my mind.
It's Saturday night here now though... so who knows what might happen ;)

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Does anyone have any info about Ebike racing in the normal USA-- ie East of California
(I'm for the NE)
Mountain Games at Vail CO - Sunday 7th June
Class 1 eMTB

Class 1 eMTB models are defined as “a bicycle with fully operable pedals, and an electric motor under 750 Watts peak power that must be pedaled to activate the motor and that ceases to provide power above 20 mph”.

Bosch eBike MTN Circuit | Mountain Games

What's very interesting is that while the race is based on the majority of US States electric bike speed limits on roads - 20 mph 32 km/h - if you were thinking of racing your slightly modified 80 Volt TQ motored FLYON, forget it.

Only eMTBs that meet the following specifications for a Class 1 electric bicycle are allowed to race:
Bikes operated by the following systems: Bosch, Brose, Shimano, or Yamaha

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Lots of teams racing next weekend in Monaco

WES WORLD E-BIKE SERIES

E-GRAVITY
The world-famous trails chosen for the inaugural WES Enduro in 2019 will challenge again the very best e-MTB riders, this year in the new e-Gravity shape. Shorter trails, repeated stages, timed up and downhill for a more compact and spectator-friendly format. Rocks, greasy mud and technical liaison stages to push riders and their bikes to the limits of their abilities.

Monaco - worldebikeseries

WES teams.jpg

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Mountain Games at Vail CO - Sunday 7th June
Class 1 eMTB

Bosch eBike MTN Circuit | Mountain Games

What's very interesting is that while the race is based on the majority of US States electric bike speed limits on roads - 20 mph 32 km/h - if you were thinking of racing your slightly modified 80 Volt TQ motored FLYON, forget it.

It's interesting they are making up their own definition of a Class 1 ebike.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Or any of their approved bikes that can peak over 750w. "Sorry guys, no Levos"
By that interpretation a Bosch CX Performance - at ~850W peak - wouldn’t be allowed either and Bosch are a major sponsor of the event.

It isn’t clear if that is measured as battery discharge or measured at the wheel so seems almost certain teams will interpret that to their maximum competitive advantage i.e. 750W peak at the wheel.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Watch specialized have a race mode that limits it to the approved or something along them lines, they wont not be involved.

No one will check because it doesn't matter. It's apparent that the organizers don't know too much about ebikes or the Class 1 laws. They don't state the 750w limit is peak power, and everyone treats it as nominal so any 250w emtb is way under that, no matter what it really is.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wonder if it was affected by the Corona Virus though? There was a pretty big turn out for the WES Ebike event last year, I would have thought the expanded series this year will be a bigger draw for a lot of riders.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I wonder if it was affected by the Corona Virus though? There was a pretty big turn out for the WES Ebike event last year, I would have thought the expanded series this year will be a bigger draw for a lot of riders.
I think that EWS-E will dominate the numbers this year.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The virus that resides in Monaco is the kind that rots your wallet in a weekend, may be lethal if reaches a bank account ?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
For eMTB racing to work, since motor and battery parity isn't likely to ever be a reality, the courses need to be more technical with fewer open areas or long straights, so that *rider* matters more or as much as *bike*.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Does anybody know how I can watch the EWS-E in Zermatt this weekend (without being there) ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles