eMTB Charging with the Jackery 1000

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I took advantage of the recent sale and ordered a Jackery 1000, which came yesterday. I was looking for a solution for charging my eBike on road trips, as well as general charging and powering other small devices. Looks like the Jackery is going to be a pip! Here's a link to the video I made, and also an unboxing video.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I have a similar device made by Bluetti which I have used to charge my bike. Charging the bike only draws about 400 watts maximum and it’s no problem to charge with a portable power station such as mine or the Jackery. I could probably perform 2-3 full charges with mine, if I didn’t also use it for powering a small refrigerator and microwave, and charging other devices.

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
I have a similar device made by Bluetti which I have used to charge my bike. Charging the bike only draws about 400 watts maximum and it’s no problem to charge with a portable power station such as mine or the Jackery. I could probably perform 2-3 full charges with mine, if I didn’t also use it for powering a small refrigerator and microwave, and charging other devices.

What size Bluetti (Wh) and what size bike batteries are you charging?

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
Thanks for that, been looking at several of these, the price kinds of puts me off at the moment, was looking at the Jackory 1000, but yesterday saw a review for a new Pecron 1000, with is a few hundred dollars less than all the others and tested very well, but there doesn't seem to be a UK version yet.
Have you used solar to top up yet?

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
@Gasser If you don't mind the potential risk, then checkout Kickstarter or Indiegogo as there's usually a few on there, I've got one from Kickstarter and currently waiting for one from Indiegogo.

3dp

Aug 26, 2020
Stalyvegas
Just picked up a Eco flow delta for bikes and caravan basically - charges 2x500w levo and has the capacity to run ther expresso or micro an in the caravan £1300 (says 1200 wh but tests on line say around 1000) not cheapest £/w but compared to the jackery/bluetti the charge times off mains (or via a petrol inverter genset ) made it a no brainer for our extended off grid breaks

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
1700 wh charging a 504 wh battery. With the power lost converting to ac it's more like a 1400 wh battery.

Are you still getting on ok with the bluetti? Thinking about buying one and came across this thread.

Am i right in thinking that the Bluetti 150, which is 1500w, would then be about 1200wh capacity after losses.
So for my 625wh bike batteries, i could potentially get almost 2 full charges?

Seems like a handy bit of kit. Especially like that they can be charged while driving or from solar.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am also looking at the power stations.........my short list currently is Jackery, Bluetti and Eco Flow. The stand out difference with Eco Flow is the rapid charging ( at least from the mains) and probably a bit better priced than the others.
In general if you take the rating...e.g 1000 w/h and multiply by 0.85 and divide by the load of whatever you are running, you get the run time.
Primary use for whatever I end up buying would be to power lighting in a stable block instead of a petrol generator plus possibly low powered devices like horse clippers. Then in the summer, for camping trips to run lights, fridge and charge phones/gopro etc. That leaves the issue of charging my bikes and personally I have decided it is not cost justifiable given the size/cost of power station I would need to make anything other than a top up feasible v the size/cost of a power station for all the other uses. A 500w/h will suit me fine. With 2 bikes, I would need at least 1000 w/h......probably 1500. I dont "wild camp" so there is always somewhere to plug a charger in the mains.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Are you still getting on ok with the bluetti? Thinking about buying one and came across this thread.

Am i right in thinking that the Bluetti 150, which is 1500w, would then be about 1200wh capacity after losses.
So for my 625wh bike batteries, i could potentially get almost 2 full charges?

Seems like a handy bit of kit. Especially like that they can be charged while driving or from solar.
solar..? ...in Scotland??:p

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
solar..? ...in Scotland??:p

Would be charged from mains before i go.So the charge time from mains isnt really an issue for me either.

They are a bit pricy, although at £1000 for the 1500wh its not that bad. But then its "only" another £500 for the 2400wh version.
Didnt realise the EB versions cant be charged from your car 12v though. Seems you need another inverter for that from what ive read.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Still expensive but the Allpowers Monster X is getting good reviews for those looking to max out on usability

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Would be charged from mains before i go.So the charge time from mains isnt really an issue for me either.

They are a bit pricy, although at £1000 for the 1500wh its not that bad. But then its "only" another £500 for the 2400wh version.
Didnt realise the EB versions cant be charged from your car 12v though. Seems you need another inverter for that from what ive read.
EB?? I am currently favouring the Ecoflow River Pro ...700w/h. I know that one can be charged via 12v car cigarette lighter socket and it has "charge through" meaning you can be charging and running an output device at the same time. The connectivity via a phone app is useful as well.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
EB?? I am currently favouring the Ecoflow River Pro ...700w/h. I know that one can be charged via 12v car cigarette lighter socket and it has "charge through" meaning you can be charging and running an output device at the same time. The connectivity via a phone app is useful as well.
I can confirm those functions. River Pro is an excellent device. If that is not enough, you can always buy the extra battery which doubles the capacity.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can confirm those functions. River Pro is an excellent device. If that is not enough, you can always buy the extra battery which doubles the capacity.
yep.......although I think it is the River Pro MAX that has the ability to add the second battery??

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I've got two River R600 max units, they are the basic R600 with an extra battery unit that bolts to the bottom, I think each Max unit is 576wh, they can be linked together to make 1152wh total.

The River Pro is 720wh on it's own and you can double that by connecting a separate extra battery.

The Pro has better battery technology and is more efficient I think...

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland

By EB i mean the Bluettie EB150 etc. Not sure the full difference between them and the AC versions, but i think they can be charged straight from 12v charger.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
By EB i mean the Bluettie EB150 etc. Not sure the full difference between them and the AC versions, but i think they can be charged straight from 12v charger.
All ofthem can be charged from the mains, from 12v car socket and from solar panels. One difference re mains charging is whether they supply a separate charger unit or not. The Ecoflow charges from the mains just with the cable supplied..........the "brick" is integral...and that is another feature I like a bout the Ecoflow.

Today I found out a company in Swanmore ( between Southampton and Portsmouth) is the UK support for Ecoflow. So they sell all the range but also if anything goes wrong, it is them that fixes or replaces it. They do not have a showroom/retail counter but are happy to sell to customers at their premises if you let them know you are coming..............or you can use their online ordering service.
I do not like the idea of buying one of these units from Amazon or Ebay so happy to have found these guys.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
All ofthem can be charged from the mains, from 12v car socket and from solar panels. One difference re mains charging is whether they supply a separate charger unit or not. The Ecoflow charges from the mains just with the cable supplied..........the "brick" is integral...and that is another feature I like a bout the Ecoflow.

Today I found out a company in Swanmore ( between Southampton and Portsmouth) is the UK support for Ecoflow. So they sell all the range but also if anything goes wrong, it is them that fixes or replaces it. They do not have a showroom/retail counter but are happy to sell to customers at their premises if you let them know you are coming..............or you can use their online ordering service.
I do not like the idea of buying one of these units from Amazon or Ebay so happy to have found these guys.

It was via an answer by Poweroak to an amazon question that i found out you cant charge the eb's via 12v.

"Can it be charged directly from the cigarette/12v socket in the dashboard?
Hello friend,
Sorry our this power station only can charged by AC adapter and PV charge,
it's cannot charged by the 12v cigarette socket.
best regards,
PowerOak Direct"

Still need to have a look at the ecoflow ones. Amazon has a time limited deal on the Poweroak ac200p at the moment, tempted to just bite the bullet and be done with it :)

Edit- Ive been mixing up the names, Bluettie is the us branding, Poweroak is the EU branding.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Can you not just charge the bike direct form your car via the cigarette lighter socket ?.
with the Ecoflow River Pro...yes. You would be best only doing that whilst driving though. Alternatively if you equip the vehicle with a solar panel it can be charged with that....obviously how efficient that would be is dependant on the usual solar power variables. From the posts a bove it appears the Bluetti/Poweroak does not have 12v charging functionality.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Have a look on HOBOTECH's YouTube channel, he does in-depth reviews of most solar generators.
I gave it a watch.Good stuff. Ive purchased the Poweroak ac200p now. Bit more than i wanted to spend. But its christmas,almost?And it was on sale on amazon. Thats my excuses.

To clarify for anyone else reading, The poweroak ac versions, (Rob did a review of one) can be charged from the 12v cigarette lighter and comes supplied with a cable for it. Just seems the Poweroak/bluetti EB versions cant. Not sure whats different about them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles