Embarrassingly Can't Get Rear Wheel Off

Blakey

Sep 9, 2020
Mid Sussex, UK
So I got my first puncture today on my 28-day old Cannondale Moterra 3. Someone cut a load of hawthorns down on a bridleway I ride and I'm guessing I picked up a thorn there. This is the first bike I've owned without a quick release and I can't get the wheel off!

It has a 5mm alen key hole on each side. I've chucked the alen key in there but I'm not even certain which way to turn it. I usually change a wheel with the bike upside down (on the trail) but I have it at home, the right way up on the bike stand.

No amount of googling seems to help!

So - help, please!

Thanks
Blakey

Blakey

Sep 9, 2020
Mid Sussex, UK
Errr, thanks. :) The bike didn't come with a manual sadly. Anyway I ended up flipping it upside down so it looked more familiar, and then just went at it with the allen key which did the job.

Can you replace non-quick release bolts with the quick-release version?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Anticlockwise is still anticlockwise upside down or right way up

Cannondale Engineers can be dicks but theyt haven't yet figured out how to mess that rule up ;)

If it's a thru axle it can possibly be replaced with a levered version... but being a Cannondale... possibly not.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you want to replace the through axle with a lever type you need first to find out the spec of your thru axle. You need 3 aspects of spec....diameter (12mm I think) length, and thread pitch.

Blakey

Sep 9, 2020
Mid Sussex, UK
Thanks all. I think the initial worry was simply over the fact that the Allen key nut was super tight. So it took some grunt to release it. I was just concerned not to f-up my £4.5k bike by being a numpty. :) Once I'd got the bike the right way round (i.e. upside down!) it seemed to be a lot easier! Just how I'm used to removing the rear wheel, rather than on a maintenance stand.

£65 for a QR axle for the front, need to contact Cannondale direct to find out if they do one for the back. That said, now I've done it, I'm less concerned and I always have a 5mm Allen with me anyway...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles