Electrical Wires going below the engine

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
Any one has the electrical wires going below the engine to the plugs ? or is it just my bike ?

The service manual diagram shows them going above the engine to the plugs, mine goes below the engine and could be seen via the engine protector.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The routings of these wires (final length) seems to be between the skid-plate and motor. I’ve removed and replaced Bosch motors several times but my concern is with the wire/cables which are visible through the skid-plate or motor armour. They seem to be exposed to small objects which could cut or slice these wires. I don see any other way that these wire could be re-routed unless the locations of the motor plugs can be re-designed.

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
Mine were above and almost impossible to fit the motor in like that I’m sure there a little pinched. I’m interested in routing below.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Mine were above and almost impossible to fit the motor in like that I’m sure there a little pinched. I’m interested in routing below.
The area above the motor seems to be reserved for hydraulic brake lines, shift and dropper cables. The push to reposition a motor back into place is worrisome enough with these cables. Pinching anything in the motor cavity can happen. Just dropping the motor back into place correctly can be a triumph. Then torque it down and hope you didn’t screwup. It’s only happened once to me (rear brake felt like it needed a bleed but it was pinched) and fixed it by removing everything …again. I’m more careful now.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
So the electrical wires are supposed to come wrapped above the motor and come out from the rear wheel side into the plugs like the manual says.

Well , I suppose it was easier to put them from the bottom, to the person which assembled the bike . I’ll try to put them up back. Currently they are exposed and filling with dust

Thanks

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The wires in the motor/skid plate area seem to be fairly resilient. I haven’t seen or heard of any issues with these wires being cut or worn or damaged. (It’s probably happened though). I worry more about water or wet debris. I regularly remove the skid plate and clean this area with compressed air. I use a very small amount of dielectric grease on the seals of each plug. (Could help with dust too). Since I ride in the rain and have had the motor submerged several times, I worry about the plugs but so far there has been no issues after 2+ years.

Dr.GonzO

Aug 24, 2021
Netherlands
I fitted the Volspeed V3 chip and placed the chip in front of the motor, there was some space there, the cabling of the chip routed between motor and skidplate.
Second ride out, i hit the skidplate very hard on a tree and it cracked and pinched some cables of the chip.
Not through but flattend the cables a bit.
After that i glued the skidplate, repaired the pinched cables and put the chip above the motor, now there is no more cabling on the bottom.
Was a bit of work to put it above the motor as i had to build it out to get the chip there.
After all it was worth the work, no more thinking of cables wich could brake for me....

Singlespeed29er

Dec 3, 2022
Pennsylvania
Just bought a Rail7, seem like an accident waiting to happen with the exposed wires under the Armor plate. I am on my 2nd Armor Plate and cracked in in two days of riding. Bad design, same weak spot. The wires to the motor are not protected, who design something like that. Trek really needs to take a serious look at this flaw.

1st Armor plate.jpg 2nd Armor plate.jpg

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
My wires are underneath
its a better line for the wires and also keeps them away from the rest of the control cables which are constantly on the move via the rear suspension my Orbea wild is the same too
As for the motor guard thats easily sorted as ive mentioned before.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My wires are underneath
its a better line for the wires and also keeps them away from the rest of the control cables which are constantly on the move via the rear suspension my Orbea wild is the same too
As for the motor guard thats easily sorted as ive mentioned before.

We have these on our Rail 5's. Another good thing about them is that because they're flat the Rails sit nicely on a MX paddock stand which because Rails are front heavy lifts the rear into the air. Handy for messing around with shocks and drive trains.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles