Electric failure--I was just riding along

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
Would love some advice on this:
I was just riding along ---it was a wet but not raining day and as usual I was pretty careful to carry my 2019 Levo over any water that might reach the BB. I stopped often, lying my baby on her side to clear brush from a storm. After the 8th such 3 minute stop, the TCU went dark as did all power. At this point< I'm pretty sure I had at least half the battery power remaining.
After a painful no assist pedal and push home, I took off the motor cover and everything seemed dry enough:
dry.jpg
I had a spare battery lying around and that didn't light anything up, but when I clicked the wiring harness to the charging socket the blue TCU light bars would sometimes flash for 2 or 3 seconds.
The handlebar trail remote switch stopped working the day before all this happened??...?? It seems like more than a coincidence, but the bike should still run without that, no?

daju

Apr 21, 2019
Maybe water got in the TCU?
Check out this video at 8:40 and 16:40

Thanks for that---I had watched that video, but I think my attention had wandered by 8:40--I definitely plan on wrapping the TCU with electric tape.
Meanwhile air in a spray can direct on the power cord got the blue lights flashing a full 4 seconds, so now I've got a fan going just like when the bathroom flooded fan.jpg
cord.jpg

daju

Apr 21, 2019
Just got bike from LBS--a year ago, they had never heard of a Levo and now they are selling 1 or 2 a month.
Anyways, their head mechanic is new to it all but very smart and invested
Spesh replaced all the wiring--power cord, TCU, and connectors from same to motor---not clear exactly what went wrong and all parts went back to factory as they were on warranty. 90$ for labor. Also, the TCU had somehow gotten set on "dark mode" ???
Plan on wrapping TCU with electric tape and sealing joint with top tube

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Just got bike from LBS--a year ago, they had never heard of a Levo and now they are selling 1 or 2 a month.
Anyways, their head mechanic is new to it all but very smart and invested
Spesh replaced all the wiring--power cord, TCU, and connectors from same to motor---not clear exactly what went wrong and all parts went back to factory as they were on warranty. 90$ for labor. Also, the TCU had somehow gotten set on "dark mode" ???
Plan on wrapping TCU with electric tape and sealing joint with top tube
Glad to hear it’s fixed but what’s with these labor charges for warranty work? It’s bad enough when it’s an independent component mfg like SRAM but those were essentially Specialized parts. If auto companies had the same policy there’d be rioting in the streets! “Sir, your alternator is made by Denso. The part is free under warranty but there’ll be a $300 labor charge”

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Looking at the pic of all those electrical gubbins below the BB, to me seems like a chronically poor design for an off-road machine ?

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Looking at the pic of all those electrical gubbins below the BB, to me seems like a chronically poor design for an off-road machine ?
Agreed. Took the left cover off last week just to check things out. Was surprised the small gauge wires didn’t terminate in a rugged plug like you see on cars. And they weren’t wrapped in extra sheathing all the way to the end nor supported very well. Visions of breaking off at the terminal from vibrations or rubbing through the thin insulation if touching a hard surface.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Main power plug failed in 600 miles. When the bash guard gets bashed it knocks the power plug out of the battery, eventually dislodging the connectors in the plug itself.

Skistriper

Apr 25, 2020
Vermont
I have several Levo bikes and have had this problem before. The trouble I have found has been that the Rosenberg plug must fit into the socket on the battery completely flat. The trouble has been with the strap holding the cable before it exits the bike frame. My Specialized dealer got the motor and cable replaced but the problem reoccured within a few months. After talking to a riding partner suggested being sure that the cable is inserting into the plug correctly, I carefully adjusted the new cable to make sure that the connecting surfaces of the plug went together, the plug fits into the battery port easily and it has been working well. I have readjusted my wife Levy as well and no problems. This cable length connection is the first thing I would check if there is a power cutout problem. I not sure if all the problems with this connection could be traced to this simple fix but it did work on 4 Levos that we have been riding here in VT. Great bikes with a poor placement of the battery connection and not good knowledge at the LBS.
Take care

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I have several Levo bikes and have had this problem before. The trouble I have found has been that the Rosenberg plug must fit into the socket on the battery completely flat. The trouble has been with the strap holding the cable before it exits the bike frame. My Specialized dealer got the motor and cable replaced but the problem reoccured within a few months. After talking to a riding partner suggested being sure that the cable is inserting into the plug correctly, I carefully adjusted the new cable to make sure that the connecting surfaces of the plug went together, the plug fits into the battery port easily and it has been working well. I have readjusted my wife Levy as well and no problems. This cable length connection is the first thing I would check if there is a power cutout problem. I not sure if all the problems with this connection could be traced to this simple fix but it did work on 4 Levos that we have been riding here in VT. Great bikes with a poor placement of the battery connection and not good knowledge at the LBS.
Take care

High Rock Ruti

Another thing to check for is metal filings attached the magnetic connector preventing stronger contact with the battery

daju

Apr 21, 2019
Good comments---I didn't know it was called a Rosenberg plug....
Since this blackout occurred 15 months ago, I've had the motor replaced on warranty--LBS did that in 3 days as I recall. Still love the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles