Ebike suggestion

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
I think for trails you're best sticking to 160 or less even, most of the UK trails I'd be happy on my hardtail with 130mm up front and nothing on the back.

Levos are fantastic, Orbea Wild or Rise another great option, go for the Wild and you get a Bosch motor, they really are the punchiest out of all of them, however the Brose is great, and super quiet. A Haibike allmtn may be another option.

Bottom line is they are all great bikes, pick the one you like the look of best!

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I have an E-160 RSX, had it just over a month now and absolutely love it.

If you look around you pick it up for £5999 now which is an absolute bargain.

But it sounds like your heart is set on a Levo, so that's the bike I'd get, or you'll probably regret it!

Last edited:

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK

But it sounds like your heart is set on a Levo, so that's the bike I'd get, or you'll probably regret it!
I've ridden both and prefer the Whyte. You're right of course ;)

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK

Yeah, thanks. The E160 looks great, but the only time I've ever ridden an ebike my only annoyance with it was that it was heavy. The Levo is around 4kgs lighter than the E160 somehow, which is a decent chunk of weight. I also like the neater integration of the display and bar controller.

That said, it is very tempting. I think if the E160 had the X2 on the rear and Fix Factory suspension I'd be very very tempted. Even without that I am. £2k is nothing to be sniffed at.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I've ridden both and prefer the Whyte. You're right of course ;)
Why did you prefer the Whyte? I'm not entirely wedded to either bike, so open to advice.

Shame there's no reviews of the E180 RSX 2023 online...

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Why did you prefer the Whyte? I'm not entirely wedded to either bike, so open to advice.

Shame there's no reviews of the E180 RSX 2023 online...
To be fair, you have a succinct unbiased review below with a well reasoned recommendation for you.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
To be fair, you have a succinct unbiased review below with a well reasoned recommendation for you.

Sure, I was just wondering why they Whyte over the Levo.

And while I'm here; what's the delay with those Fantec bikes mentioned earlier? I'm guessing it's a Chinese brand trying to establish themselves? Looks like a good kit spec for the money... But I guess there's more to it than that...

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
think for trails you're best sticking to 160 or less even, most of the UK trails I'd be happy on my hardtail with 130mm up front and nothing on the back.
I agree with this completely, I took my 120mm hardtail practically everywhere with the most technical runs being parts of the quantocks and the red blacks at bpw

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK

And while I'm here; what's the delay with those Fantec bikes mentioned earlier? I'm guessing it's a Chinese brand trying to establish themselves? Looks like a good kit spec for the money... But I guess there's more to it than that...
It was personal - Liked the bling on the Whyte although the Levo is certainly less rough around the edges, they look amazing and the frames are a work of art.

Saying that, I went on to buy an Orbea Rise and have no regrets, like the fact it looks and rides a lot more like an analogue bike. And it's more than capable for trail riding.

Like I said, buy the one you like the look of most and enjoy it, If you drop 6K on an EMTB you're not going to get a bad one whatever you choose

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
I agree with this completely, I took my 120mm hardtail practically everywhere with the most technical runs being parts of the quantocks and the red blacks at bpw
I have a Cube reaction Pro that's been modded a bit and it's certainly different to my Rise, but enjoy them both equally. Cant take the little one to school on the Rise either

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
I have a Cube reaction Pro that's been modded a bit and it's certainly different to my Rise, but enjoy them both equally. Cant take the little one to school on the Rise either
I got a voodoo bizango back in 2019 and upgraded the fork, handlebar, grips, pedals and tires but otherwise kept it exactly the same. I still live it but I need a new drivechain for it cos it's completely worn lol

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
It was personal - Liked the bling on the Whyte although the Levo is certainly less rough around the edges, they look amazing and the frames are a work of art.

Saying that, I went on to buy an Orbea Rise and have no regrets, like the fact it looks and rides a lot more like an analogue bike. And it's more than capable for trail riding.

Like I said, buy the one you like the look of most and enjoy it, If you drop 6K on an EMTB you're not going to get a bad one whatever you choose
In fairness, I almost bought a Rise last year, so I can see why you like them. Coming back to it this year I almost did again, but after going out on my acoustic bike I'm pretty sure that I need a full power ebike.

I'm abysmally unfit and riding with somebody else with a full power ebike, so I figure it's probably best to go for a full power bike. Then if I get fitter I can lower the assistance. (Albeit the bike will still be heavier.)

If the E160RSX had Fox Factory suspension and an X2 on the rear then I think it would be a tougher choice, but really the spec is pretty in line with the Levo Expert - Fox Performance Elite front and rear suspension. The E160 has slightly better brakes (Code RSCs instead of the RSs on the Levo) but the Levo has a better rear shock (X2 instead of Float X). The Levo has an XO1 drive train whilst the E160 has GX, but it's GX AXS, which some may prefer.

I think the main thing for me is that I'd want a display on the E160, which would then have to hang off the bars somewhere, coupled with that huge Bosch remote. The Levo's display and bar control are much better integrated and the Mastermind TCU will allow me to match the assistance to my riding buddy's bike.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
In fairness, I almost bought a Rise last year, so I can see why you like them. Coming back to it this year I almost did again, but after going out on my acoustic bike I'm pretty sure that I need a full power ebike.

I'm abysmally unfit and riding with somebody else with a full power ebike, so I figure it's probably best to go for a full power bike. Then if I get fitter I can lower the assistance. (Albeit the bike will still be heavier.)

If the E160RSX had Fox Factory suspension and an X2 on the rear then I think it would be a tougher choice, but really the spec is pretty in line with the Levo Expert - Fox Performance Elite front and rear suspension. The E160 has slightly better brakes (Code RSCs instead of the RSs on the Levo) but the Levo has a better rear shock (X2 instead of Float X). The Levo has an XO1 drive train whilst the E160 has GX, but it's GX AXS, which some may prefer.

I think the main thing for me is that I'd want a display on the E160, which would then have to hang off the bars somewhere, coupled with that huge Bosch remote. The Levo's display and bar control are much better integrated and the Mastermind TCU will allow me to match the assistance to my riding buddy's bike.
They are all details not worth worrying about brakes and shock are fine on both - buy the one you like best. Levos are great bikes and Specialized service record is amazing

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Have a read up on the X2 problems and you might prefer an X anyway.

Factory and Performance Elite are the same apart from the Kashima coating.

I wouldn't worry too much about the specs on either bikes, nothing really separating them, just go with what you prefer the look of at this point.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Have a read up on the X2 problems and you might prefer an X anyway.

Factory and Performance Elite are the same apart from the Kashima coating.

I wouldn't worry too much about the specs on either bikes, nothing really separating them, just go with what you prefer the look of at this point.
Yeah, I know the only difference from the Performance Elite to the Factory is the Kashima, so it's not the end of the world not having the factory shocks. I took the same approach with my current bike which has a 36 Performance Elite up front and a Float X Performance I the rear.
I'll read up on the X2 issues later.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I think you mean Fantic ?

They're Italian and have been around since 1968. Google or even the forum search can be your friends if the crystal ball isn't working.

Basic History :

A few hundred forum results on Fantic :

Ah OK. Never heard of them before. Will have a look at your links. Seem to be good value considering the equipment spec. (Assuming the frame/geometry isn't trash.)

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I would say the Bosch gets you longer than the Shimano (625 bat )We are a big group and the ones with Shimano motors (Merida e160s) started to complain of shorter range after a year. Often they would have to turn around while the Bosch gang (whyte, Rail, Mondraker) kept on pedalling. I understand this is anecdotal, but 2 of them have already bought new bikes with Bosch motors. I had 2 failures with Bosch, both replaced under warranty within a week.
I settled out of court with my UK supplier on issues relating to my Shimano BT-8035 batteries and unacceptable deterioration. I then got rid of the bike as it had a brand new motor and two batteries. I've gone Bosch, I'm not sure I like how it rides as much, but it's definitely got more low end torque and a year in the battery seems to be doing a lot better.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Having sold my bike and gotten a bit closer to trying to arrange something. Still not 100% sure on what to get though. I test rode an alloy Levo and enjoyed it. Still thinking either the Levo Expert or Whyte E160 RSX, but the E160 RSX doesn't appear to be available for £5999 anymore.

Not sure if there's any other worthwhile options for around £6000 - £8000? And if there's updates to the Levo range on the near horizon? (Bigger displays? New motor?)

It's hard because most bikes are difficult to get a proper test ride on. Seemingly I can get a ride on a Whyte, but I'd have to pay around £50 for them to deliver one to a LBS for me to try.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I wouldn’t think the Levo would be updated for another 3 years, the gen 3 came out in 2022 and most companies seem to be on 3 year cycles. Brose did debut a new motor but who knows if/when Spesh will start using it.

IMO, you can’t go wrong with the Levo. I love mine, only downside for me is finding time to ride. I’m too busy chasing my 1 year old around and have another one coming in July🤯🤯

Tekmotiv

Tekmotiv.co.uk
Subscriber
Dec 28, 2021
Cambridge UK
Hi, I don't know where you are located, but f you are broadly within range of us near Cambridge , we have stock of full suss from Fantic ( Brose motors ie same as Spec ) Thok ( Shimano ) and Bianchi ( Shimano and Bosch ) all ready to test ride, sizes not withstanding. We have Carbon and Alloy options, including the new Fantic model with wireless AXS and Carbon wheel set which is extremely light. Be pleased to help. I won't put any links here but message if we can assist

Tekmotiv

Tekmotiv.co.uk
Subscriber
Dec 28, 2021
Cambridge UK

Fantic is an Italian brand, established in 1968. They use a German Brose S Mag motor on most models, and the latest Yamaha motor on the new low end models. Big range, lots of choice of travel/ frame / geometry and weight. All ride really well, are really nicely finished and specced.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Fantic is an Italian brand, established in 1968. They use a German Brose S Mag motor on most models, and the latest Yamaha motor on the new low end models. Big range, lots of choice of travel/ frame / geometry and weight. All ride really well, are really nicely finished and specced.
Curious - because you don't really see them being talked about anywhere...?

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I wouldn’t think the Levo would be updated for another 3 years, the gen 3 came out in 2022 and most companies seem to be on 3 year cycles. Brose did debut a new motor but who knows if/when Spesh will start using it.

IMO, you can’t go wrong with the Levo. I love mine, only downside for me is finding time to ride. I’m too busy chasing my 1 year old around and have another one coming in July🤯🤯
Similar here. I have a 3 and 6 year old. I'm just starting to get back into MTB, but found that I am waaay too unfit.

After trying the Levo Alloy it really was like being 16 again, but way fitter and faster!

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
And then this lands in my inbox...

My only concern is support and servicing, plus it's the Shimano motor and you can't spec the new larger battery, you have to buy it additionally to the 540wh unit.

Also, not sure what the Fox DPS is compared with the X2? Otherwise it looks pretty neat. Didn't they have a Fox 38 on last year though? Seems to be a 36 this year.
View attachment 108646
If you check the website out I think whoever has written that advert has made a mistake on the spec -

Tekmotiv

Tekmotiv.co.uk
Subscriber
Dec 28, 2021
Cambridge UK
Curious - because you don't really see them being talked about anywhere...?
That's easy to explain, they don't spend the money on marketing. Specialized etc do. Same story with many lesser known brands, but that doesn't mean the bikes are any the worse. Usually you get something interesting and different, with the exact same parts and a better value for money. My advice is try to test ride a few. Then you will know what you prefer.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Well I seem to be going round in circles.

Availability of the Levo Expert seems to have dried up so I can't get one locally and I'm not sure I want to spend that much anyway.

Back to thinking Trek Rail 9.8 XT or Whyte E-160 RSX or E-180 RSX.

The E-180 has the nicest kit spec, but I'm not sure if it's a bit much for UK trails, especially with me being quite a light rider?

What's the issue with being "overbiked"? Just that it feels more cumbersome to have too much travel? Or might I be OK with the E-180 RSX?

I'm also going the other way and considering the Trek Fuel EXE, but they seem to be more expensive for the spec, annoyingly, especially once you factor in a battery extender.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles