Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
A quick update to my earlier post. I have had no success getting my Edge 820 to connect to my Shimano Steps system so I gave up and bought an Edge 830 which connected straight away and lets me use data from the built in sensors on the Edge display (including showing stuff like cadence on screens other than the ebike specific screen). Gareth from the WeCycle channel on Youtube was a great help

addisdad76

Jan 26, 2023
Manchester
I have the e-bike field app on my Garmin 530 and today it kept going blank on the battery percentage and the mode field. I switched the bike off and then back on and it would work for a while and then do the same. Everything else worked as should. Has anyone had this or any advice?

wafu1982

Apr 23, 2023
Cornwall
Yep, I will also update it to be compatible with Fenix7 line, but you can achieve almost the same with standard Ebike Field. Just place it on the screen together with other standard garmin datafields. With F7x you can choose layout with 8 fields on single screen.
I've uploaded Ebike Field - Nerd Style to my Fenix 7X but receive the following error messages when installing. Does anyone else have this issue or a work around of some kind?

Garmin 1.jpg Garmin 2.jpg Garmin 3.jpg Garmin 4.jpg Garmin 5.jpg

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@sam.spoons Strange, It should work have worked for you with 820.

@wafu1982 Hi, it will work if you use it with "white" background. This datafield doesn't support black background in activity. If you want more universal datafield, use simpler Ebike Field (standard version).

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
@sam.spoons Strange, It should work have worked for you with 820.

@wafu1982 Hi, it will work if you use it with "white" background. This datafield doesn't support black background in activity. If you want more universal datafield, use simpler Ebike Field (standard version).
Thanks for the reply. I sold my 520 and kept the 820 for the acoustic bikes. The 830's bigger display is nice to have too so I'm happy with the current setup. Just gotta do some miles now. :oops:

Pennine

May 2, 2020
Yorkshire
@JanCapek
Ebike Field - Nerd version has worked faultlessly on my Garmin Vivoactive for 3 years. I upgraded to the Fenix 6 about 2 months ago & worked fine until the last 4 rides. Suddenly the watch has stopped showing the assist mode & battery percentage.
On uploading to Garmin I can see the remaining battery % & assist levels on the phone app but not on the watch. Weird!
Tried all the usual e.g. turn off/on, update app or delete & reinstall. Still nothing.

The VooDoo

Sep 26, 2023
Italy
Hi,

After a year using Ebike field on a Garmin Edge 530 with a Giant/Yamaha motor (datafield works very well), now I'm testing Ebike field - Nerd Style on my Fenix 6 Pro with a Shimano EP8 system.
It works nicely, I can view battery percentage, assist mode, speed, cadence, etc. as a donor I can view also also the battery percentage and assist level graphs in the activity.

Unfortunately the cadence data aren't saved in the activity, even if I can see the cadence during the ride.
There is any way to have also the cadence data in the FIT file?

Thanks. 👍

Ps.
To have the Ebike field - Nerd Style to work without problems, I open eMTB activity on the watch, scroll to data field page and then start the bike, after few seconds I can see bike data, sometime I need to scroll up and down assist level with the remote control on the bike to have battery percentage shown in the data field.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Hi Jan,
@JanCapek

just noticed you haven’t been online here since July, hope all ok?

I have just replaced my edge 530 with another edge 530 and seem to have set ebike field up ok again, I did get the premium package and was just looking at ebike diagnostics and it seems my wheel size is set at 800mm? I have set it at 2300mm on the garmin, but it still reads 800mm on ebike diagnostics, my questions are: can I change it in ebike diagnostics to 2300mm? And if I can’t will it affect anything? Thanks 👍🏻

IMG_4249.jpeg

Reactions: iXi

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@JanCapek
Ebike Field - Nerd version has worked faultlessly on my Garmin Vivoactive for 3 years. I upgraded to the Fenix 6 about 2 months ago & worked fine until the last 4 rides. Suddenly the watch has stopped showing the assist mode & battery percentage.
On uploading to Garmin I can see the remaining battery % & assist levels on the phone app but not on the watch. Weird!
Tried all the usual e.g. turn off/on, update app or delete & reinstall. Still nothing.
That is really strange.. can you send me image of the datafield on your watch after connecting to the bike?

@Howz well, too little time. :) You obviously have changed wheel circumference within bike settings to overcome legal limit. You have it all setup correctly then. In Garmin, it must be real number to get correct speed readings.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Thanks Jan, @JanCapek
Ahh that makes sense, I did this on my last bike with the garmin which was a 2018 levo hardtail, I now have a 2019 FSR Levo….does ebike diagnostics not work on the 2019 FSR As I can’t change anything or see all information?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Howz with 2019 you should be able to see most of the stuff, but can't change wheel circumference anymore - it is locked.
@The VooDoo why? That is recorded by Garmin itself if you connect your bike as speed/cadence sensor within garmin sensors settings.

The VooDoo

Sep 26, 2023
Italy
@The VooDoo why? That is recorded by Garmin itself if you connect your bike as speed/cadence sensor within garmin sensors settings.
Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, as you know, not all Garmin devices can view Shimano EP8 data, just the Garmin EDGE devices like 530/830 or 540/840, but I need to connect my EP8 with a Garmin Fenix watch, so it would useful if your datafield can read and record also speed/cadence data.

For your reference, actually I'm testing the "Shimano step E8000 data fields" that can be used also with EP8 systems and this reads and records (with graphs) also speed and cadence data, along with mode, remaining distance (not so useful), assistance percentage and battery percentace data.

It would great if also your datafield can read same data.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Ah, I got confused as we are in Specialized topic. I am afraid that is not on my priority list, I want to keep Ebike Field universal and not implement additional stuff just for vendors like Shimano or Bosh who refuse to open their communication to third party apps or act as standardised sensors.

The VooDoo

Sep 26, 2023
Italy
Ah, I got confused as we are in Specialized topic. I am afraid that is not on my priority list, I want to keep Ebike Field universal and not implement additional stuff just for vendors like Shimano or Bosh who refuse to open their communication to third party apps or act as standardised sensors.
I apologize, my mistake!
I wrote in this topic because it was talking about your datafield and I had already seen other users talking about Shimano systems.

Anyway, I don't know how complicated is to add the other Shimano data, but your datafields already reads Shimano Steps data and save battery percentage and assistance level in the garmin activity, only the other data that is communicated by the system is missing.

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
@JanCapek Would it be possible to add the following information to the "E-bike Assist mode" and "E-bike Battery Level" graphs?
  1. % of battery at the start and end of the activity. So you can understand more quickly how much battery you have used.
  2. % used for each assistance mode. E.g. 90% eco, 10% trail
1697118451032.png

Wasi

Oct 23, 2023
SVK
That is really strange.. can you send me image of the datafield on your watch after connecting to the bike?

I have been using the data field for a long time. I think the problem arose with the addition of the garmin Ebike activity. When the activity itself reads the battery data and the support mode. At that time, the data field "Nerd" does not work correctly. It helps to turn off and turn on the ebike. But it's just a lottery which application will connect first. (original Ebike application, or Nerd). My opinion... Because part of the data, e.g. the first 20 min. i have on the opening screen. And the remaining part until the end of the activity is already displayed by means of Nerd in the graphs IQ.

OrangePower

Jul 12, 2022
Slovenia
Hi
Maybe this has been mentioned somewhere before but I can`t find it.
I have kenevo expert with mastermind tcu. I paired garminHR sensor to bike.
I also have garmin 530 and I want to get HR reading on it. I can see two different HR sensors, one is direct conection from HR to garmin and other is trough mastermind tcu.

How can I get mastermind tcu data from HR sensor to garmin 530?
Which field should I use?

In this case I can use Specialized app on my phone and have HR reading there or I can use garmin 530 and have all the data there if I dont want to use phone.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles