e8000 no assist zero cadence while pedaling

P.I.Engineer

Jul 3, 2022
Maple Valley, WA
Out of the blue i get a E010 code when i turned on the bike. Upgraded firmware to motor. Bike no longer throws code, but there is no assist. I can change the eco/trail/boost and the power bar never rises and i don't feel any assist.

i figured out it's the cadence sensor. I clicked over to cadence on my screen and it reads zero as i peddle. I gave my cranks a few heel kicks while i was riding and cadence/assist started working. It's a coin toss to if i get assistance when i turn the bike on. once it's working, so far, it continues working.

anyone heard or this? i'm assuming it's connected to the torque sensor but the bike does not throw any errors.

of course my 2 year warranty expired about 3 weeks ago.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
E010 is a generic error, meaning that power to motor starts but is removed after a few mS because there is an unknown error on any part of the Steps system.

Check battery connector and battery to motor connector for damaged pins.

Check for unplugged, dirty or pinched cables to display, motor, magnet.

If all the cables and connector pins are fine, then suspect of the motor itself. In case the motor is defective, Shimano may replace it for free even after warranty, check with your LBS.

P.I.Engineer

Jul 3, 2022
Maple Valley, WA
thanks, i've gone through and unplugged/cleaned/replugged everything. So far i've done about 10 power cycles and everything is working. I'm holding off on contacting commencal till it happens again.

fingers crossed.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
You're lucky, my E010 code proved to be a failed torque sensor, which can't be repaired or replaced.

My Commencal was 2.5 years old, and I didn't push them or Shimano to "extend" the warranty despite this being a fairly common issue with their eMTB motor applications. The waitlist for Commencal replacement motors is "indefinite," so I ordered one on eBay...

So far so good, but I'm much more careful about motor impacts - I think they need to beef up their torque sensors

P.I.Engineer

Jul 3, 2022
Maple Valley, WA
started happening again.

ended up taking to a shimano dealer. Shimano warrantied the motor. I'm very happy with the way it worked out. Bike was at shop for 2 weeks, i'd consider that quick.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles