E8000 cold weather problems

jonaskos

Sep 1, 2020
Finland
Has anyone had any issues with E8000 system below freezing temparetures?

My Merida e-One sixty 9000 (2020) will not power on when the bike has been outside for an hour in about -5 degrees celcius. The battery is fresh from the charger and at room temparature. The remote switch light blinks once but nothing else happens. After taking the bike inside for some time it works as normal.

itsanebikething

Jan 5, 2021
Scotland
I had charged mine fully last week. Went to go out on in yesterday and it was showing 3/5 bars for the battery - the bike lives in the shed. It’s been -1 or so overnight. No problems with it functioning though. Did 20km and had 1/5 bars left.

Apr 18, 2020
germany
By leaving the bike outside in those temperatures you risk fatal battery failure by deep discharge and faster ageing. If you gonna leave it outside longer than a few minutes/hours leave it at least charged up to 50%. If you leave it outside empty at that temperatures it may never wake up again. Also condensed water by bringing it inside and charging it might become a problem.

jonaskos

Sep 1, 2020
Finland
I got an answer from Shimano saying that the switch on top tube should be replaced. If I understood correctly it has a small battery in it which doesn't like the cold. The bike was in a Merida authorized service and the guys there told me it's not worth replacing as the new ones will fail in cold too. I didn't take it further. I normally have my bike in a warm garage so no issues when I go out. If the bike stays outside, it can be switched on via the power switch on the battery itself. There is a small rubber plug under the bottle holder which needs to be taken off. Through the hole there the bike can be switched on with a small tool e.g. the allen key stored in the back axle. I have tested it and it works.

Veno

May 3, 2020
Zagreb
I got an answer from Shimano saying that the switch on top tube should be replaced. If I understood correctly it has a small battery in it which doesn't like the cold. The bike was in a Merida authorized service and the guys there told me it's not worth replacing as the new ones will fail in cold too. I didn't take it further. I normally have my bike in a warm garage so no issues when I go out. If the bike stays outside, it can be switched on via the power switch on the battery itself. There is a small rubber plug under the bottle holder which needs to be taken off. Through the hole there the bike can be switched on with a small tool e.g. the allen key stored in the back axle. I have tested it and it works.
The trick with the rubber plug hole worked! You just made my sunday!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles