E180RS Service.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
After 2 years of faultless performance I decided it was time to check it over. Mileage is low at 800 miles because I have 2 bikes and only use the 180 for the gnarlier rides.
In 2 years all I have done is change the gear cable because it was frayed and changed the chain at about 600 miles.
The forks have gone to TF Tuned for full service. Headset bearings are all good. I stripped both wheels to check the wheel and hub bearings.....all clean and OK. The excellent DT Swiss ratchet freehub system was clean and just needed some fresh special grease.
I took the shock and extender off to check the pivot bearings. All OK.
So in summary, just some cleaning and regreasing was all that was needed...
. nothing needed replacing.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.....because I have the bike on a stand I had to remove and replace the battery from below. I rarely remove the battery but when I do, I put the bike upside down on the bars and use my DIY strap ( two 13amp socket screws with a piece of webbing between them) to pull the battery out, and never experienced any issues lowering it back in.
So I exerienced the problem people complain about on this generation of Whyte EMTB, of the battery jamming in the downtube. There is a simple solution however. Just pulling the cables/hoses that go into the downtube via grommets a little to take out the slack resolves the problem.
One other thing I noted when servicing the bike was that it is far easier to remove the shock by first removing the pin at the top end and then the bolts on the pivot end of the extender..............then remove the extender from the shock. In fact removing and replacing the shock in that order is the only way the correct torque can be applied to the bolt and sleeve bolt on the shock to extender end.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
not a lot of choice come winter time!! Yes it is not spared foul trail conditions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles