E180 Gear change cable replacement.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The cable was frayed and gradually getting worse so finally got around to replacing it.
I bought a 2200mm SRAM s/s cable , a new wire cutter and some end stops.
I cut the cable at the mech behind any fraying the released the end stop at the shifter and pulled the old inner cable out. Feeding the new cable through the shifter (make sure the end stop sits in position) and then into the cable houseing was fine until it met the point where the housing exits the chainstay.....pulling that away from the mech allowed the cable to exit.
On the X01 mech the cable then has to pass around a caged wheel.....that had to be removed to feed the cable. In my case the wheel was in any case totally gummed up with trail dust/mud so it needed cleaning anyway. The cable then goes around an open guide and through a small hole at the end of the guide before getting to the securing screw.
What surprised me was how much re indexing was then required perhaps suggesting how much unwanted cable tension was being caused by friction in the cable run.
One other thing I noted was some chain suck when in the 2 highest gears. In this dry and dusty weather I have been been using dry lube. Maybe because of the heat or not stripping the chain often enough I don't know but a degrease and lube wetube solved the issue. ( I use Mucoff lubes)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Great post mate but after doing this twice on my bike I was certain I’d never do it again so I bought myself the Sram GX AXS setup, it’s an absolute game changer 👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
It’s absolutely awesome in’t it, I’m going to get the AXS reverb seat post next, I wish someone would invent wireless brakes too 🤣

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles