E160 FSA headset

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
So I thought I'd change the stem. However when I have reassembled there appears to be too large a gap in the headset top. I don't remember what it looked like before I changed it out but pretty convinced the gap was not so pronounced. I've tried to capture it as best as I can in photos.

I don't think there is any play. When I ride it and compress it it all feels OK.

I might well be using the wrong terminology here, but should the aluminium ring (with split/cut out) that centralises the steerer tube be more compressed? Is that what the split is for?

Am I fussing over nothing or is there a problem?

Thanks people.

20230531_194316.jpg 20230531_194257.jpg 20230531_193939.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So I thought I'd change the stem. However when I have reassembled there appears to be too large a gap in the headset top. I don't remember what it looked like before I changed it out but pretty convinced the gap was not so pronounced. I've tried to capture it as best as I can in photos.

I don't think there is any play. When I ride it and compress it it all feels OK.

I might well be using the wrong terminology here, but should the aluminium ring (with split/cut out) that centralises the steerer tube be more compressed? Is that what the split is for?

Am I fussing over nothing or is there a problem?

Thanks people.

View attachment 116541 View attachment 116542 View attachment 116543
there should be no gap so the top bearing is not sitting correctly.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Does look like your top bearing isn't seated correctly. Also is the new stem the same height as the old one? Hard to be sure from your pic, have you still got a few mm gap between the steerer tube and the top of the stem/spacer?

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
New stem is 2mm or so taller. I removed one spacer. There is a few mm gap between top of steerer tube and stem. All bits put together in the usual logical sequence at torqued appropriately. I took it apart again and removed fork. Bearings are orientated correctly and seated properly. There is no play. It's really weird. The only way I could see I could improve matters would be to remove material from the split crown ring.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Take a look at your photos...............notice the gap in the cup that sits directly under the sloping top cap of the headset? Pretty sure that gap should be closed by pressing it down.

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
You can't press it down any further. I would not be prepared to attempt to pull it down any further as I would be torquing (is that a word?) far in excess of what is appropriate. It would risk pulling star nut out. My plan is to buy a new Hope headset. The gap bugs me.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You can't press it down any further. I would not be prepared to attempt to pull it down any further as I would be torquing (is that a word?) far in excess of what is appropriate. It would risk pulling star nut out. My plan is to buy a new Hope headset. The gap bugs me.
I would expect it to need tapping down...not forced down by tightening the top cap. I have had mine apart for cleaning and regreasing and seem to remember that was the case. Zero gap on mine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles