E160 Bash guard coverage solutions?

cat1

Aug 9, 2019
United Kingdom
I have just bought an E160 s which I think is awsome but the second time out on it I have chipped a bit of the paint off beneath the motor. The bash guard seems super strong but does not cover the full underside of the frame. Some of the reviews also mention this problem. Does anyone have a solution for this? DIY or aftermarket?

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I’ve been looking for a while but can’t find a solution. There is a guard for the older bikes but nothing the 2023 E-160. Maybe we could try and get something 3D printed?

cat1

Aug 9, 2019
United Kingdom
Yeah I do not have a 3d printer butt IU am sure it would be easy enough to do. Its really annoying happening on my second ride and after a few I can imagine it getting really smashed up.

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
I have also taken chips out of the exposed bit you describe. Rockguardz make one but it £70 and I am not sure how I feel about the look and application. In the meantime I have ordered a sheet of Kydex and I am going to have a go at fashioning something to fit. I shall report back.

The damage to to paint has made me very sad. One had an unknown cause. The second chip was a loose rock flying upwards towards frame.

cat1

Aug 9, 2019
United Kingdom
Good idea. Let me know how you get on with it, as it's really annoying. I had one of the rockguardz on my old bike and wouldn't recommend them, especially for the price. Mine had a hole put in it from a rock strike easily.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I don't get too hung up about scratches & chips ..it is after all a bike we are riding over rough terrain ..so
these things happen ...
If it bothers you that much though visit the Whyte website where its possible to buy small paint pots to match your colour 😉

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Riding alot on Dartmoor, I take hits under the engine regularly, and having the first e150rs version, at that time my gear cable also popped out there, so I really needed to find something tough, and I didn't think a carbon one would fit the bill.
Luckily there was a chap advertising Whyte 'engine guards' on Facebook (his pic as below), so I bought one of those. Just a bit of bend steel and powder coated. Uses a longer battery cover bolt at the front, and a tab at the rear held by velco.
Liam Davies guard 2.jpg
I know he's changed jobs now so is unable to continue making them.
2 years later, still a good buy, thanks Liam.

Last edited:

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
Good idea. Let me know how you get on with it, as it's really annoying. I had one of the rockguardz on my old bike and wouldn't recommend them, especially for the price. Mine had a hole put in it from a rock strike easily.
First pic was first bit I cut and moulded. I changed my mind and decided I could use a longer piece into battery compartment to secure it. I just need some velcro and I'm done. It's not perfect but it's an improvement.

20230701_141831.jpg 20230701_141611.jpg 20230701_141654.jpg 20230701_141658.jpg

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
Good idea , what thickness KYDEX is that , 3mm ?
3mm. If doing again I'd make sure it was not the shiny side facing out. I'd also potentially extend to left of wire. Current solution is working as i had hoped. Has not shifted at all. Hasn't had all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles