E160 - 2.8s too flimsy?

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I'm running 18/20psi in the standard Maxxis Minion 2.8 tyres (tubeless). I'm about 85KG kitted up.

Over the last few months I've had several punctures, and have ended up with a few tyres that now can't run tubeless because the sidewall is split right on the bead line.

I thought the idea of 2.8s was that you could run lower pressures, but where I ride (Sydney) it's pretty rocky, so maybe I'm asking a bit much. It seems quite a few people have changed to 2.6s, and I've seen the comment that stiffer sidewalls make the bike handle better as well as reducing pinch flats (which is what I'm getting - even running tubeless).

I've also noticed that I'm not getting as much cornering grip as I'd like in the current dry conditions - feels like the tyre is sliding out on loose surfaces.

Anyone else feel the 2.8 Minions are a bit flimsy. Would I be best of adding some sort of pinch protection (cushcore etc) or changing to some beefier 2.6s?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Not had any issues with the 2.8's but I just didn't like them. Riding similar terrain in Sydney and the Central Coast as you. The 2.8's feel like the squirm around under the bike at anything other than rock hard. They're hanging on the wall as emergency spares.

Much much happier running a 2.6 DHRII rear and 2.5 Assegai up front. Both just normal EXO casings and no inserts. Love the bike with this combo.

Gordon

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Much much happier running a 2.6 DHRII rear and 2.5 Assegai up front. Both just normal EXO casings and no inserts. Love the bike with this combo.

Gordon

What sort of pressures are you running in the new setup compared with the 2.8s?

AusE

Dec 3, 2019
Australia
Ive had no problems with assegai exo+ casings both front and rear, actually thinking of trying 2.4 wild enduros next for a change.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I found exo is ok on the front, terrible on the rear. I now run a tannus insert in the rear exo and it's good like that :ROFLMAO:. That's a dhrII 2.6.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
What was terrible about it? And how did an insert change it?
Originally I had it with a tube, and that was good damping but prone to punctures. Then I went tubeless tubeless and it was way too soft. I had to put more air in it than I normally run with a tube. It never felt good. I also had a few punctures as soon as I went tubeless. I need a heavier stronger tyre for the back. The tannus feels really good, and I'll keep it for weak walled light weight tyres like the exo. No problem so far with just exo assegai and dhf on the front, although next time I'll go exo + if I stay with maxxis.

Last edited:

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I'm running 18/20psi in the standard Maxxis Minion 2.8 tyres (tubeless). I'm about 85KG kitted up.

Over the last few months I've had several punctures, and have ended up with a few tyres that now can't run tubeless because the sidewall is split right on the bead line.

I thought the idea of 2.8s was that you could run lower pressures, but where I ride (Sydney) it's pretty rocky, so maybe I'm asking a bit much. It seems quite a few people have changed to 2.6s, and I've seen the comment that stiffer sidewalls make the bike handle better as well as reducing pinch flats (which is what I'm getting - even running tubeless).

I've also noticed that I'm not getting as much cornering grip as I'd like in the current dry conditions - feels like the tyre is sliding out on loose surfaces.

Anyone else feel the 2.8 Minions are a bit flimsy. Would I be best of adding some sort of pinch protection (cushcore etc) or changing to some beefier 2.6s?
Put some Schwalbe Eddy Current tyres on, totally bomb proof, very little, if any flex and can handle low pressures with ease.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I'm sorry to say, after trying time and again... The minion 2.8s are crap! Their sidewalls are way! Too weak! Even cushcore couldn't save them from snakebites! When running low pressures that are totally needed in the dry powdery rocky terrain here.. for grip.
A DD or downhill casing would be great! Unfortunately Maxxis does not make them! In 2.8... go figure...
Before wasting my money, by trying to switch to minions, I ran the only DD tire available in 2.8 - the Specialized butcher black diamond. With pressures as low as 14psi! For over a year... Never! Had a pinch flat ( with the aforementioned cushcore inserts)
So I've given up in Maxxis..
Gone back to the spec. Black diamond! It's a great tire! Feels great! Stiff sidewalls! (Especially with cushcore) so you can run it safely down to 15-18psi, without flats or squirmy feeling.
Unless you are racing the extra weight and slightly "slower tire" will make no difference..IMHO.
Tim
IMG_20201012_213837.jpg

IMG_20201012_213837.jpg

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
2.8 Eddy Current’s are a great choice, I’m 110kg in my kit and I never had any issues with punctures or tyre flex. I now run Assegai DD’s and have found the narrower (2.5) tyres to be excellent in every way.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I'm sorry to say, after trying time and again... The minion 2.8s are crap! Their sidewalls are way! Too weak! Even cushcore couldn't save them from snakebites!

Good to hear that I'm not the only one thinking this!

I tried some 2.6s the other day - borrowed a mates wheels who's running a Maxxis Minion DHF up front and a Dissector on the rear, set to 20psi front, 24 rear. Can't say that I noticed the 'transformation' in handling that other's have claimed, but certainly didn't feel any downsides.

the Specialized butcher black diamond

I'm running these on my Enduro (well, the 2.6, not the 2.8) and have so far been happy with them. So taking into account my test ride (above), I think I may just get some more 2.6s for the E160 and just run the same tyres on both bikes.

Anyone want to buy some slightly used 2.8 DHFs? They mostly have splits in the sidewall so need to be run with a tube. I have a few available :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Maxxis don't make minions in DH casing above 2.6" width because DHers don't ever use bigger minions than that.
for good reason.

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
Good to hear that I'm not the only one thinking this!

I tried some 2.6s the other day - borrowed a mates wheels who's running a Maxxis Minion DHF up front and a Dissector on the rear, set to 20psi front, 24 rear. Can't say that I noticed the 'transformation' in handling that other's have claimed, but certainly didn't feel any downsides.

I'm running these on my Enduro (well, the 2.6, not the 2.8) and have so far been happy with them. So taking into account my test ride (above), I think I may just get some more 2.6s for the E160 and just run the same tyres on both bikes.

Anyone want to buy some slightly used 2.8 DHFs? They mostly have splits in the sidewall so need to be run with a tube. I have a few available :)

You will drop the BB height by 12.5 mm by going to a non plus tyre due to the smaller diameter (705mm v 730mm). I wouldn't recommend that on the Merida E160. I have the same bike and turfed the Minnions for a 29er front wheel/tyre (Eddie Current 2.6) and an Eddie 2.8 rear. Epic combo and raises the BB by 5mm on an already low BB. I am on Sydney's Northern Beaches, so yes rocky as!

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
You will drop the BB height by 12.5 mm by going to a non plus tyre due to the smaller diameter (705mm v 730mm)

Where did you get those figures from? I'll have a measure when I'm at home, but I'd be surprised if the difference between the two really was an inch.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's not. The difference between a 2.6 and 2.8" minion on the same rim width (30mm) will be less than 6mm in height.
The Merida also doesn't have a particularly low BB anyway

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
It's not. The difference between a 2.6 and 2.8" minion on the same rim will be less than 6mm in height.
The Merida also doesn't have a particularly low BB anyway

Is the 2.6 a plus tyre?

Wheelsize-630x198.jpg

Last edited:

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Is the 2.6 a plus tyre?

No idea if it's classed as one or not.

But I've just done a rough measure of a 2.6 Maxxis DHF on the E160, a 2.8 Maxxis DHF on the E160 and a 2.6 Butcher Grid on the Enduro. All 3 are close (around 720mm) but if anything the Butcher is the tallest - possibly because it's mounted on a 30mm rim rather than the 35mm of the E160, so maybe stands a little taller.

But I couldn't measure a difference between the Maxxis 2.6 and 2.8. Maybe doing a proper rolling distance measurement would show something, but it's certainly not going to be more than a few mm.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Is the 2.6 a plus tyre?

View attachment 42429

Where did they pull those numbers from?

That chart seems to indicate all 650B tyres are the same diameter???? Hardly!

My bike dropped maybe 5mm going from 2.8 to 2.5/2.6. Maore than made up for that by putting on a longer travel fork....

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles