E150 motor

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Hi all, general info here.
My bike packed in on a ride, just under 3000 miles trouble free. Traced to a damaged cable, but when Bosch uploaded the files from my bike, they insisted on replacing the motor too. All free.
Interesting bit here is the rattle we all know and hate/ignore is totally absent in the new one. Also motor whine is a lot quieter. Wonder what else is different inside??
Best bit is the rolling 2 year warranty?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
850 miles here. Been fantastic until couple of days ago. Did one loop, stopped in the car park for a coffee and bike (E160 Bosch Gen 4) wouldn't turn back on ie blank screen. Took it to LBS who on investigation and discussion with Bosch say the motor has failed. waiting for warranty replacement.
Very strange. the trail was wet, but nothing astounding. We had a minor hail shower during the coffee break. I only mention the latter as I was postulating presence of static in the air - clutching at straws for a reason.

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Bosch warranty is superb. But still annoying when things go wrong. Was without my bike for a month, so had to ride my Stumpjumper instead.
Interesting comment about static, could well be a thing, don’t know.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
850 miles here. Been fantastic until couple of days ago. Did one loop, stopped in the car park for a coffee and bike (E160 Bosch Gen 4) wouldn't turn back on ie blank screen. Took it to LBS who on investigation and discussion with Bosch say the motor has failed. waiting for warranty replacement.
Very strange. the trail was wet, but nothing astounding. We had a minor hail shower during the coffee break. I only mention the latter as I was postulating presence of static in the air - clutching at straws for a reason.
bike stopped working on the Monday - dead - nothing showing on the display at all.
Took it to Ace in Monmouth on Tuesday. They called Bosch and both agreed it was a motor failure.
Wednesday Ace sent the motor to Bosch
Thursday Bosch sent a new replacement to Ace.
Friday Ace fitted the motor.
All done under warranty.
Wish it hadn't failed, but couldn't have asked for better service from both Ace and Bosch.
New motor is noticeably quieter than the original.

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Further update on the motor. Unfortunatley the warranty replacement is now goosed after 2000 more miles!
Was riding some seriously wet trails in North Wales at the time, much cursing and walking required.
Anyone else on their 3rd motor? lol

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is really good news about the Bosch motor warranty treatment. :love:
Contrast that with the really bad news about Shimano warranty treatment. :cry:

In time, this will make a difference in Bosch's favour.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
My E150 RS had given up the ghost again. This will be my third motor, 3k miles on first the 1k miles on the second. I believe as mentioned earlier on this thread water is the common denominator here. The first during a wet ride in Sedbergh and the second (first ride after) a ride in biblically wet condition’s on the North York Moors above Stokesley.
The same symptoms, the Purion will not switch on totally dead according to my Lbs the thing will not power up to enable any diagnostics. Waiting to hear of the outcome from Bosch.
My bike is 2020 E150 RS ( which I still consider new) and Bosch replaced the the motor 3 months out of warranty with only a fitting charge of £50. Dare to say I’m hoping for the same outcome.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I know I should know the answer to this question but does the warranty cover the bike in miles or age, mine is a 2020 e150rs as well, I've got a clicking sound on my bike which I think is either the headset bearings, the AXS dropper or my tracker battery which has come loose and is swinging about, I would investigate and repair these possible issues but I can't see anything fully after eye surgery

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I know I should know the answer to this question but does the warranty cover the bike in miles or age, mine is a 2020 e150rs as well, I've got a clicking sound on my bike which I think is either the headset bearings, the AXS dropper or my tracker battery which has come loose and is swinging about, I would investigate and repair these possible issues but I can't see anything fully after eye surgery
age......with motors usually 2 years.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I have my bike back now with its 3rd motor fitted after 4000 hard ridden miles since July 2020…as I’ve mentioned in other posts I’m very comfortable at maintaining the bike on a mechanical level but when it comes to bikes complex electronics then it’s a “ horses for courses “ scenario and I’m of the bike shop.
A big shout to my supplying shop Team Cycles Gateshead. They couldn’t diagnose the problem because the Purion didn’t power the motor up so to cut a long story short I had to buy a new motor. The service I received was excellent having feared a huge bill for a replacement I was so pleased with the heavily discounted price that Bosch had offered on the motor, the fitting charge and the original charge for what limited diagnostics they could perform was just shy of £400..complete with a two year warranty I consider that terrific value.
Excellent comms and patience from all involved in the repair and I get to keep the old motor which is packed ready to send to E- Motor repairs in Barrow in Furness to see if it can be repaired cost effectively so I might end up with a spare motor to boot.
This bike and the the group of people I ride it with are so important to my quality of life and it’s good to know I’ve an LBS that I have faith in and trust to do the best they can for me. I’ve been critical of this LBS with the attention to detail shown on a previous motor swap out but on this occasion they were faultless.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I have my bike back now with its 3rd motor fitted after 4000 hard ridden miles since July 2020…as I’ve mentioned in other posts I’m very comfortable at maintaining the bike on a mechanical level but when it comes to bikes complex electronics then it’s a “ horses for courses “ scenario and I’m of the bike shop.
A big shout to my supplying shop Team Cycles Gateshead. They couldn’t diagnose the problem because the Purion didn’t power the motor up so to cut a long story short I had to buy a new motor. The service I received was excellent having feared a huge bill for a replacement I was so pleased with the heavily discounted price that Bosch had offered on the motor, the fitting charge and the original charge for what limited diagnostics they could perform was just shy of £400..complete with a two year warranty I consider that terrific value.
Excellent comms and patience from all involved in the repair and I get to keep the old motor which is packed ready to send to E- Motor repairs in Barrow in Furness to see if it can be repaired cost effectively so I might end up with a spare motor to boot.
This bike and the the group of people I ride it with are so important to my quality of life and it’s good to know I’ve an LBS that I have faith in and trust to do the best they can for me. I’ve been critical of this LBS with the attention to detail shown on a previous motor swap out but on this occasion they were faultless.
I’d happily pay that fora replacement motor and new warranty

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles