E150 dead again!

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Hi all, loving the E150 still.
Battery not charging unfortunately. Plug charger in, just get some continuous clicking sounds from charger and no flashing bars on the purion. After an extensive search in here. I checked and cleaned the charger socket and battery connection with pipe cleaner and electrical contact cleaner. No joy.
I have a second charger that also does the same.
Additionally I took battery out and reset it as per online instructions.
Bike still rides fine showing remaining 2 bars.
Any further tips on where to look before I take it to the Bosch wisperer?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi all, loving the E150 still.
Battery not charging unfortunately. Plug charger in, just get some continuous clicking sounds from charger and no flashing bars on the purion. After an extensive search in here. I checked and cleaned the charger socket and battery connection with pipe cleaner and electrical contact cleaner. No joy.
I have a second charger that also does the same.
Additionally I took battery out and reset it as per online instructions.
Bike still rides fine showing remaining 2 bars.
Any further tips on where to look before I take it to the Bosch wisperer?
will the battery charge if you plug it directly into the charger - ie dont try and charge it on the bike?

Have you got any mates with bosch bikes - Can you try a different charger?

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Good idea, already tried that, the charger plug is a different type of pin configuration to the battery connection.
Also as mentioned I already have a spare charger from the wife’s bike

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Ok now I feel silly. Just took cover off and of course it plugs right in!
And it’s charging. Lol
Thanks for that😭
Not sure what the issue is with the main socket on the bike as I did spend a good while cleaning it

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
if you can easily get at the wiring from the charging socket on the bike and follow it through to where it connects to the battery I'd imagine the problem should be obvious - sounds like either some sort of short circuit or a break in the circuit.

I'd get all the wiring removed from the bike and have a look at it, clean it all up etc.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi there Raymondo…..I had the very same symtoms on my Whyte. The battery would charge out of the bike but not in, took it to the supplying LBS and ended up with a new motor supplied by Bosch (3 months out of warranty) had to pay for fitting but great service all round …..,…
Hope things work out well for you

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m gonna throw something into the mix here guys, recently while doing a Kiox upgrade I discovered a little black connector, while I was doing the upgrade I decided to give my bike some TLC, when I pulled this connector apart I discovered some corrosion with a couple of the connector pins, with the battery disconnected, I drowned the connectors with IPA, cleaned them with an old toothbrush and applied some dielectric grease, I also checked all the other connectors and sockets and applied the dielectric grease, I know I’m tempting fate here but since then I’ve had no issues, I had an intermittent problem with my bike that’s why I’m replying to this thread in hope that it might help 🤞

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Cheers for that, will have a look.
Whyte are sending me a new loom FOC apparently, which is fantastic as the bike is way out of warranty.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m not shocked about that, they sent me a new free hub when my bike was over a year old and that was out of warranty too, they also sent me a new chain stay when that little machine screw that holds the derailleur hanger snapped through no fault of theirs too, their after sales service is the best of any company I’ve had with bike related or not 😎

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles