E-trike advice if possible.

Adwb

Dec 2, 2022
Bristol England
I am looking at a tricycle with either 250 watt mid or hub drive, both Bafang.
The retailer says the hub drive is better for hills as it is cadence controlled and the lack of strain on the chain drive.

I have a lot of 12 degree or even greater both short and long climbs in my area, and need to be able to ascend these with out having to get off and push.

Both options have the Shimano 7 speed Gear hub and a fairly useless 6mph maximum thumb throttle.

I am less concerned with uphill speed and more with the amount of effort required to be honest. The hub version is on the front wheel and both versions have a differential.

There is little difference in price between the two types but both have the very basic Bafang C961 display which seems very limiting in the ability to alter parameters, although It might be possible to replace it with a better one?

Thoughts any one on this ?

Last edited:

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I don't have much to add except a friend of mine purchased a Jorvik tricycle for his mum and a trailer for her dog.
It came with a 250W bafang m500.
The trike is quite heavy and my friend wishes he had specced it with the m600 motor instead for hill climbs.

Adwb

Dec 2, 2022
Bristol England
I don't have much to add except a friend of mine purchased a Jorvik tricycle for his mum and a trailer for her dog.
It came with a 250W bafang m500.
The trike is quite heavy and my friend wishes he had specced it with the m600 motor instead for hill climbs.
Thanks, they would not have sold him a non street legal unless he bought on line and , now at least, declared it for private land use only!
just realised that is the mid drive version.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I am looking at a tricycle with either 250 watt mid or hub drive, both Bafang.
The retailer says the hub drive is better for hills as it is cadence controlled and the lack of strain on the chain drive.

I have a lot of 12 degree or even greater both short and long climbs in my area, and need to be able to ascend these with out having to get off and push.

Both options have the Shimano 7 speed Gear hub and a fairly useless 6mph maximum thumb throttle.

I am less concerned with uphill speed and more with the amount of effort required to be honest. The hub version is on the front wheel and both versions have a differential.

There is little difference in price between the two types but both have the very basic Bafang C961 display which seems very limiting in the ability to alter parameters, although It might be possible to replace it with a better one?

Thoughts any one on this ?
Hmm. I wouldn't be looking at an upright trike for off road. I don't know about the bafang motor, but you want a wide gear range which the Nexus hub doesn't have. Anything with a mid drive and a standard derailleur will give you more options for changing the gear ratios by changing the cassette.
Where are you located? Do LOTS of test rides before you fix your ideas . Start saving money, decent trikes are nearly twice the cost of equivalent bikes, and contemplate how you will transport it.

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Well, for a start that's not an assist, it's got a throttle, but leaving that aside it's not really a trike with that close wheel spacing. It's probably a lot better than a granny trike, though.
Upright trikes in general are difficult to ride on anything that's not smooth, and horrible if there are deep ruts aligned with the direction of travel. They are really more for trips to the shops. For off piste something more like the t-tris or scorpion would work, or maybe a performer.
You wouldn't try to ride a road bike on rough stuff, so it won't work with a road trike either.

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
Well, for a start that's not an assist, it's got a throttle, but leaving that aside it's not really a trike with that close wheel spacing. It's probably a lot better than a granny trike, though.
Upright trikes in general are difficult to ride on anything that's not smooth, and horrible if there are deep ruts aligned with the direction of travel. They are really more for trips to the shops. For off piste something more like the t-tris or scorpion would work, or maybe a performer.
You wouldn't try to ride a road bike on rough stuff, so it won't work with a road trike either.
the bike is both assisted and has a throttle and seemed to work perfectly well off road to me

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Well, given that it's only barely a trike it probably does, but I don't see how it would help the OP with balance issues. Plus it would only be legal on private land in Europe unless you could get it registered as a moped.
But as I actually ride a recumbent trike I'm probably unqualified to comment.

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
Well, given that it's only barely a trike it probably does, but I don't see how it would help the OP with balance issues. Plus it would only be legal on private land in Europe unless you could get it registered as a moped.
But as I actually ride a recumbent trike I'm probably unqualified to comment.
it was just an option for him thats all

Adwb

Dec 2, 2022
Bristol England
I don’t want for off road, maybe gravel tracks but not mountain bike trails that’s for sure.
its the hill that are my big concern

Last edited:

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
OK, I get it that it's hilly. A trike doesn't use quite the same set of muscles as a normal bike. So let me ask, how are you managing right now with the bike and motor that you have? Do you have to get off and push?
Because that's hell with a recumbent trike. So you need two things. One is training your legs to use a slightly different muscle group, and the other is suitable gear ratios, probably a bit easier than on a comparable bike, because trikes are heavier.
Can you borrow/rent/steal a trike to try in your local area? Remember that you can go as slow as you like, as it won't fall over.
Like I said, test ride. Don't go entirely by what the dealer says, he's in the selling business. If it's any good he'll let you have a decent amount of time to try it. If not, go somewhere else. Don't get a granny trike unless you are a granny. I've never had a bafang motor so can't really help there. There are sections on this site for different motors, and bike or trike the motor will be the same. What will make a difference is whether you go for a delta or tadpole configuration. If delta, then yes, get a differential.
As for the rules in your country on motor power etc you will have to check for yourself. Trikes are fun, but they do have their pros and cons. You tube has shed loads of videos for you to look at. Did I mention ride before you buy? Probably only about five times. Maybe that's because it's important. Test it where you will ride it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles