E-Bike Insurance.

BikeDude01

Mar 11, 2023
Hertfordshire
Hello, recently moved to a new in Hertforshire flat and have been keeping my e-bike (Trek Powerfly 4 FS 625 - paid 4500 last year) indoors as reluctant to keep it in the shared bike shed incase it's stolen (been watching too many scary youtube videos ref angle grinders and the like!) .

Problem is 'indoors' is a small space and I need to store the bike in the bike shed but before i do i need to get it insured. Plus I want to be be able to store it outside with peace of mind and not have to clean it everything i use it to bring it in indoors, etc. Plus this 'issue' means i'm less likely to use it and that's a waste of a cracking bike!

I already have buildings insurance for a property elsewhere but I had a look at Halifax contents insurance for the flat but it came to £35 a month and seeing as the e-bike is the only thing worth stealing i I thought this was a little excessive.

So do you have some recomendations for insurance that is exclusively for an e-bike and not contents or tied up in buildings insurance, etc?

Cheers :)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I had specific insurance from cycleplan which was about £220 a year and had the usual stipulations regarding storage and locking up etc.
when I got my son a bike they went straight off the value of the 2 bikes combined and the premium shot up to more than double that.
I have house and business insurance with the NFU so i popped into their local office and asked to add my bikes with the addition of crash damage, theft while out riding, theft from van etc etc and it added £130 a year to my policy, like for like replacement.

BikeDude01

Mar 11, 2023
Hertfordshire
Ah i wonder it it may be worth while to speak to the Halifax and maybe add the ebike to the buildings insurance i have on another property (albeit in two different areas).

I'll get a quote from Cycle plan too - cheers !

BikeDude01

Mar 11, 2023
Hertfordshire
Just got a quote from CyclePlan and it works out at £88 quid a year (was £128 but they have a introductory 'offer' reduction of 45% with a 50 quid or 10% excess. Seems reasonable?

What's their criteria to pay out if the worst happens and the bike is stolen ie would i be covered in the circumstance the bike is within a secured shed with the following lock - Evolution Mini-7 With Flex - New-U

The small print states a solid secure lock so hopefully something like the Mini is adequate.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 12.05.11.png

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Bike insurance - Bloody expensive and i got an approximate quote of £260. It's near three times what my house insurance is on a £50,000 contents policy.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Just got a quote from CyclePlan and it works out at £88 quid a year (was £128 but they have a introductory 'offer' reduction of 45% with a 50 quid or 10% excess. Seems reasonable?

What's their criteria to pay out if the worst happens and the bike is stolen ie would i be covered in the circumstance the bike is within a secured shed with the following lock - Evolution Mini-7 With Flex - New-U

The small print states a solid secure lock so hopefully something like the Mini is adequate.

View attachment 108850
on mine it states in there that it must be sold secure gold as a minimum, worth checking

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I use eversure, bike is stored inside and attached to a ground anchor. I have it insured for 12k, I have accidental damage and theft cover, also injury cover incase I have a serious injury and need to go private. I pay almost £540 a year. I must also use Diamond secure locks when out doors. I'd never ever leave it locked outside though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The problem I had with bike insurance is the small print. The bike must be secured with a sodding great heavy chain to an immovable object. So, does that mean that I have to carry the chain with me when I go out riding? The answer is "Yes, if you intend leaving the bike even for a minute!" Fair enough I suppose, bikes are VERY stealable. So, the answer is never to leave the bike for a second when you are out, no matter how inconvenient.

My bike too is insured as part of my buildings & contents insurance. But I had to increase the standard sum insured from £300!

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK

View attachment 108850
Small print says SOLD SECURE, not solid.

Buy whatever lock you want that holds a sold secure rating. There are different categories. Silver/ Gold etc. You're small print just says sold secure so anything holding that badge will be OK.

Keep the receipt for the lock. Take pictures of the lock. Make sure you can prove kit just ownership of the bike but also the lock.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Can you not keep your bike in your flat in one of those wall mounts, it might reduce the amount you pay plus it’s peace of mind to know it’s indoors and warm, I insured mine through Swinton combined 😉

BikeDude01

Mar 11, 2023
Hertfordshire
Can you not keep your bike in your flat in one of those wall mounts, it might reduce the amount you pay plus it’s peace of mind to know it’s indoors and warm, I insured mine through Swinton combined 😉
Space is ultra limited in the flat and having to clean it after every ride to bring it indoors (especially in winter) is a right pain!

Thanks for all replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles