E-Balance Bikes

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
Anyone have any experience with the E-balance bikes? My son turns 2 this month and he’s getting a balance bike, I was looking at different models when I came across the Mondraker Grommy. I’m all for it but my wife thinks he’d kill himself on it🤣😂

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Is an e-balance bike not essentially a motorcycle?
I got my son a Specialized Hotwalk when he was 2. For his 3rd birthday, I got him a Specialized Jett with 16” wheels, cut the seat post a bit - and stuck stabilizers on it for him to learn pedalling / braking. Within 3 months, the stabilizers were off, and he was flying about on 2 wheels! For his 4th birthday, I got him a ramp… although 4 months later, he’s still ‘bumping’ off it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It can't be a "pedal assist" without pedals, can it?

Continue to get your son the lightest bike that you can afford for him. Work out what percentage of his weight the bike is. Compare that to your last mtb. Then get him a lighter one!

You will be rewarded with a son who loves biking and riding with his Dad. The joy from that will last for years!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
Is an e-balance bike not essentially a motorcycle?
I got my son a Specialized Hotwalk when he was 2. For his 3rd birthday, I got him a Specialized Jett with 16” wheels, cut the seat post a bit - and stuck stabilizers on it for him to learn pedalling / braking. Within 3 months, the stabilizers were off, and he was flying about on 2 wheels! For his 4th birthday, I got him a ramp… although 4 months later, he’s still ‘bumping’ off it.
That’s basically what it is, it has a throttle like a motorcycle. I got my first motorcycle at 5 so that’s the plan for him too, I’ll probably pick him up a KTM 50SX or something along those lines. I looked at the Hotwalk but will probably go with the Kids Ride Shotgun since I can get it with a brake set-up. I figure the sooner he learns to use brakes the better.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
That’s basically what it is, it has a throttle like a motorcycle. I got my first motorcycle at 5 so that’s the plan for him too, I’ll probably pick him up a KTM 50SX or something along those lines. I looked at the Hotwalk but will probably go with the Kids Ride Shotgun since I can get it with a brake set-up. I figure the sooner he learns to use brakes the better.
The Kids Ride Shotgun balance bike wasn’t around a few years ago, otherwise I’d have probably done the same. He just got the Hotwalk because it was the only bike of my daughters (almost 9) that wasn’t pink and could be passed down!

I made the mistake with her of having a 12” balance bike, then a 12” pedal bike, 14”, 16” and now 20”. 4 bikes in 6 years.
She’ll be getting either a 24 or 26” this year as the 20” was looking a bit small last time she was on it.
3 of them were Specialized, and 1 was Scott - so none of them were cheap!

My son got pushed straight to 16” - which should last him another year or 2… and will save a heap of money in buying a bike a year as he grows!

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I'v got my youngest Girl a trs electric trials bike, can adjust everything, throttle response, torque, top speed, Trials bikes are the best to learn bike skills on, Especially balance, all the best hard enduro riders come from a trials backround. Easy to put a foot down when trying new skills out, so less injuries and rows with the mrs...

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
250w kids electric balance bikes
I spent £350 on the Kids Ride Shotgun with the magura brake and my son hates it🤣😂 he freaks out on anything that moves. We rode the mini train at the park last week and he screamed the whole 3 min ride.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I spent £350 on the Kids Ride Shotgun with the magura brake and my son hates it🤣😂 he freaks out on anything that moves. We rode the mini train at the park last week and he screamed the whole 3 min ride.
i got my boy an electric dirt bike when he was 4 and that was a waste of money too. First time he lost his balance on it and dropped it on his leg he just wouldn’t touch it again. He got a 16” Revvi which was great but ultimately hampered his progress on a pedal bike. Same can be said for the 24” pedal bike he had next that I put a hub motor on. Just made him lazy. He’s now on a 26” Cub Scout with only pedal power. He acts like he doesn’t like it but you can see a greater sense of satisfaction when he gets to the top of hill without stopping.

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
I think they'd be better on balance or pedal bikes, but it depends where they are going to be used.

I saw some kids with these at a BMX / pump track. They didn't really suit the track at all and the kids kept falling off. The parents had also put a full face on these poor kids as well, which looked way too heavy for them. Other kids on balance or pedal bikes were having a much better time, plus they were learning to actually pump properly rather than relying on the motor.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Inverness
my 2 year old son just doesn’t seem to like anything that moves, he’s got one of those cars that you sit on and push around with your feet. He’ll sit on it and push the buttons that make noise and look all happy but as soon as you try to move it he freaks out and jumps off of it.

My 9 month old son absolutely loves the car though, I’ll hold him on it and push him around and he laughs and yells. I’m guessing he’ll be on the balance bike before his older brother.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles