E+ 3 Dropper Post

Jim n AZ

Oct 12, 2022
AZ
I'm looking to put a dropper post on my E+ 3. I need budget freindly and reliable post reccomendations. If your reccomendation has a cable, how difficult is it to route internally on the E+ 3? Or is that even possible? Thanks everyone.

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hi, Giants own brand are not bad, or brand x seem to get good reviews, haven't used on of these personally though.
As far as the cable goes its fairly simple to do. Battery out, remove the trims around the motor, remove the front 2 motor mounting bolts, loosen the rear 2, no need to remove these, lift the front of the motor enough to allow routing of the cable up into the seat tube, Fit your dropper and check the cable length, Then put everything back taking care all cables and wiring are not pinched and secure. It should be possible for the cable to move through the frame and seat tube when everything is re-fitted to aid removal of the dropper, this is helpful and means you don't have a mile of baggy cable at the bars. Please note this is on my 2021 Trance E+Pro 3, other models should be very similar, I did one on a friends fathom recently and that was the same, good luck

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
Hi Rubinstein,
I've just bought a 2021 Trance X e+ 3 Pro and the dropper cable and and lever is missing, so I've bought the kit from Tredz (handlebar lever plus inner and outer cable) and just have to fit it, but there is is not an existing one on it, so I have no idea where it is fitted/routed!
I'd be really grateful if you could tell me if the cable is routed under the motor or above the motor please, any help would be much appreciated please.
Kind Regards, Simon

P.s Sorry for hijacking the thread

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hi Simon,
So if the bike was sat on its wheels upright The cable route is above the motor and into the base of the seat tube. Frame route just follows in the existing clips with the rear brake line/controller etc that you can see when the battery is removed. Exit is via the right hand grommet near the head tube. Install is as above, be careful not to pinch wiring when refitting, hope that helps.

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
......... Thank you so much Rubinstein, that is so helpful........... I think I'm going to attempt the job this afternoon 👍
I think I'm going to to electrical grease all the motor connections as well while I'm at it in there, just as a bit of an insurance policy, I did it on my Fathom and touch wood never had any problems with it.
Kind Regards, Simon

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
Kushdy,
Also when you're ready to route the cable start from the outside at the head tube into the frame and down towards the motor, this way you should be able to run it past the battery latch without having to remove it. Much easier than doing it from the frame outwards ;).

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
.........thank you so much Rubinstein for your helpful info, it made the job much less stressful knowing where to route it.
It went really well except for hinging the motor back up.........wow, what a lot of wiring and plugs 🤬
I took the battery pin mounting base plate off so that I could pull the wires up through, then lifted the motor into place and bolted it and dealt with the wires carefully afterwards 😥
I took all the plugs apart, checked them and used electrical grease to seal them.
I torqued the 4no. Motor bolts to 22nm, think that's approx. correct.
Once again many thanks for your help.
Kind Regards, Simon

P.S. Great tip about pushing the outer casing down from the top first👍

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
Ha ha, yes it's lovely, I haven't been out on it yet as I'm waiting on the charge port cover /cap from Giant bike spares as it was missing.......... don't want to risk it in this weather, itching to get out on the trail to see the difference from my Fathom 🤞

IMG_20221030_171540_542.jpg

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
No, I bought it off a bike shop as a faulty bike, they stated that "the customer returned it with a faulty motor, so they replaced it with a new one under warranty, but it look quite a while.
They then found that there was no power to the motor and it was going to take even longer................so the customer requested a refund!
Yes, it's in great condition and also got the bonus of a brand new motor........ it's got one mile on it it says 😁
Didn't take me long to fix it luckily, software update + battery connection/position adjustment sorted it,
But you never know as I haven't done a big test ride yet, going to wait for the charge port cover cap first !

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
I admire your self control, if it was me I’d be out with the tape and on the trail in seconds 😎. Best of luck with it, I think they are a brilliant all round do anything bike. Done 5000k on mine so far and it just keeps getting better

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
...........the other problem with not being able to take it out is I'm away on holiday this week, damn it 🤬
Wow, that's a lot of mileage and a lot of fun........... I can't wait to see what these 630 batteries can do, also never ridden a 29er.
Yes, Steve Jones (embn) has praised them, also loads of good reviews online so I can't wait to get out on it!

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
After fitting about 7service kits to my Giant dropper last year alone dur to the play in the seat post driving me nuts, I treated myself to a Brand X and have yet to do anything whatsoever to it in the last 8 months.

Cable routing is pretty easy as your dropper comes out the top, so just guide her out the top, disconnect the cable and tape your new cable to it and draw it through, but in reality you can use your old cable, i did.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles