Rail (625Wh) Dropper seat post

Dan91

Sep 11, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for a new dropper seat post? I'm finding the standard one that came on the bike is a bit short and now has become a bit loose so I'm looking in to upgrading.

Thanks

EMTB Dude

Nov 16, 2021
West Yorkshire
Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for a new dropper seat post? I'm finding the standard one that came on the bike is a bit short and now has become a bit loose so I'm looking in to upgrading.

Thanks
I recently bought a new Brand-X ASCEND dropper seatpost from Chain Reaction Cycles and got a good discount in their sale
All the dimensions are on their website
I have a Fox Kashima dropper on my other bike and think the Brand X is just as good with a very smooth action, although I didn’t use the included dropper lever so can’t comment on that.
You can’t really go wrong for the price

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
OneUp will give you the most drop for a given post length. AXS will give you the most bling (and lightest wallet). The Brand-X will give you the best VFM.

The OEM seat post is user serviceable.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I’ve ran Fox Factory Transfers, Rockshox Reverb AXS and currently the Bike Yoke Revive. All 3 have been really good and I’d recommend any of the three. I don’t know if I’d buy another AXS though; it is heavier and performs no better than the other 2. Both the Fox and Bike Yoke have a significant “clacking sound” pop back up…..I personally really like that.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I’d recommend any of the three.

I've only used two of the three you mention. Of those, I favor the BikeYoke Revive by a long shot. The Revive not only functions as well as any seatpost, but it can be serviced or repaired by the end-user.

Of the "other" seatposts I've had experience with, the eventual problems were either squishiness or failure to return with gusto. The Revive addresses both these symptoms with elegant simplicity. For a squishy seatpost, you flip a lever, push the seatpost down, and it's fixed. If the pressure eventually leaks out, you don't need to take it in for a nitrogen refill, like so many others. You remove the saddle and pump it up with your shock pump. You don't even have to remove the seatpost from the bike. The seatpost design is BRILLIANT.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I've only used two of the three you mention. Of those, I favor the BikeYoke Revive by a long shot. The Revive not only functions as well as any seatpost, but it can be serviced or repaired by the end-user.

Of the "other" seatposts I've had experience with, the eventual problems were either squishiness or failure to return with gusto. The Revive addresses both these symptoms with elegant simplicity. For a squishy seatpost, you flip a lever, push the seatpost down, and it's fixed. If the pressure eventually leaks out, you don't need to take it in for a nitrogen refill, like so many others. You remove the saddle and pump it up with your shock pump. You don't even have to remove the seatpost from the bike. The seatpost design is BRILLIANT.

I love that about the Bike Yoke. My only gripe is that it became squishy on my 3rd ride. I don’t mean a little, it dropped at least an inch when I was in a seated position. While it is easy to fix, my Fox Transfer after 3 years has had zero issues with squish, and I mean not even a millimeter of movement (It has never even been serviced). My AXS dropper was run for 1 year before I sold the bike. The AXS never had any squish factor. So, while I really like the Bike Yoke so far and it is EASY to reset mid-ride, there is no way it should get squishy after only 3 rides. I’ll keep riding it and see if that is the norm, or a fluke. Also, my 3rd ride on the Bike Yoke was after my initial post, so wasn’t able to provide that feedback yet.

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
My one up has a noticeable amount of play from left to right. Has not got worse and I guess you don't feel it on the trail- but it is annoying.
Most droppers do
Agreed, my OneUp 180 also has noticeable side to side play but not noticeable when riding.
yep most droppers have that. Are you able to have the one up slammed. With out it sticking up a bit like like the stock dropper ?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
so you can hang off the back and move around

I remember when droppers were not popular and myself and my mates were a rare few running them.

The lower the better.

Clearly, you are a visionary.
But doesn't "hanging off the back" inhibit your ability to move the bike around beneath you?
Does the seat post set "as low as possible" inhibit your ability to climb?

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Clearly, you are a visionary.
But doesn't "hanging off the back" inhibit your ability to move the bike around beneath you?
Does the seat post set "as low as possible" inhibit your ability to climb?
You are a sarcastic man. Well done.

Not sure if you are winding me up here. Of course a low dropper does not inhibit your climbing or balancing on bike- as it goes up and down.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Not sure if you are winding me up here.

Just havin' fun, bro. Rob doesn't pay us enough to be all serious and grumpy.

But you DID say that "lower is better," so I had to shoot some paperclips across the room in your direction. I might agree if all I rode was downhills that aren't too long and could coast and pump the whole way. You see, I'm old and weak, so when there's pedaling involved, I need to get a full pedal stroke or my knees will explode. And when the going gets absurdly steep, I need the saddle higher so I can weight the rear with my butt while providing smooth power to the pedals.

I don't ride Rampage or hop onto fences like MacAskill, so perhaps I'm speaking out of turn. But what cracks me up is when I'm down in the flatlands, and I see a pack of wannabes pedaling along on the gravel trails with their legs splayed out like Miley Cyrus and their heels on the pedals because they can't point their toes straight.

Coincidentally, one of my seatposts IS slammed all the way. If it was 1 mm further down, it would jam up the actuator. When it's fully extended, it's at the perfect height for a full pedal stroke. It's the best of both worlds!

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
So, while I really like the Bike Yoke so far and it is EASY to reset mid-ride, there is no way it should get squishy after only 3 rides. I’ll keep riding it and see if that is the norm, or a fluke. Also, my 3rd ride on the Bike Yoke was after my initial post, so wasn’t able to provide that feedback yet.
It's a fluke or a defective post, not a design issue. From my experience with a few samples, it *is* easier for a Revive to develop squish than other posts if you make a mistake and pull up on a dropped post, but it's rare to see squish develop in normal use.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
From my experience with a few samples, it *is* easier for a Revive to develop squish than other posts if you make a mistake and pull up on a dropped post, but it's rare to see squish develop in normal use.

True dat. Once I was way up in the hills, and another rider approached. He spotted the seatpost and had some questions, including the "revive" feature. I told him, "Watch this!"

I lowered the seatpost, lifted the bike vertical, and extended the post. As you can imagine, the amount of squish was ridiculous. I lifted the lever, bled the air out, and ten seconds later the post was as good as new.

The Devine also looks interesting, maybe better than the Revive. It's supposed to bleed the air with every normal actuation of the seatpost.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
"Clearly, you are a visionary"

Except for this nifty device Breeze came up with:

1668651048247.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles