England
Not really knowing what’s worn or not, I seek advice on this. Thanks
CF69A801-D747-44F2-BCAD-14064971DC10.jpeg
2CF52248-54CF-4A35-BEDC-B513B48927A7.jpeg

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Get a chain checker to measure the stretch, once it reaches 0.5mm you should change the chain, if it goes past 0.75mm there's a good chance you'll need a new cassette or it will skip when you put a new chain on.

If you've got to that stage already I'd just run it until you are snapping chains regularly and swap everything in one go.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
That cassette is fine.

If you're worried then buy a new cassette and chain and stash them. Only change if/when skipping occurs. YKIMS.

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Nice one guys. Reason I ask is it’s done just over 1000 miles now. Gonna change the chain out. Although I have checked it and it’s not at .75 yet.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Nice one guys. Reason I ask is it’s done just over 1000 miles now. Gonna change the chain out. Although I have checked it and it’s not at .75 yet.

If the chain's not near 0.75 then don't change it.

But if you do change the chain then change the cassette at the same time. Then keep the old chain and cassette as spares.

Edit: have changed my mind ... do not change anything.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
As my cassette lasts twice as long as my chain, I alter 2 chains now.

Test: Once the cassette starts rejecting a new chain, skipping, it's worn.
That happens when you did ride and use it with a +0.75 chain.

You can still ride a used cassette and a used chain, till they die together.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
3 chains to a cassette minimum @ around 3-4k personally,
There's no way in hell i would be changing a cassette and chain every time unless money comes easy.
Do you also rotate the chains (like once a month) or just run nr1 out till .75 and then put the new nr2 ?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Do you also rotate the chains (like once a month) or just run nr1 out till .75 and then put the new nr2 ?
No rotation just run till worn and fit new
Keep them clean and not over lubed
when off road riding have them basically dry of lube as it only attracts rubbish
seems to work good for me so i will stick with it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Put a new chain on it, and if it runs OK, run it until you get 0.5% then put the original chain back on. Keep the second chain until the original chain gets to 0.75% then put the second chain back on and run that until the cassette and chain give up.

If the new chain does not run OK, then put the original chain back on and run the cassette until it dies and then buy a new cassette and fit the second chain to it.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
No rotation just run till worn and fit new
Keep them clean and not over lubed
when off road riding have them basically dry of lube as it only attracts rubbish
seems to work good for me so i will stick with it.
Interesting. I've recently started using wax lube (Squirt) for the same reason. The whole transmission stays much cleaner than when I used to use wet lube and although the chain looks dry and clean after washing the bike you can still feel the wax on it if you rub your fingers on the chain. Early days yet but I'm hoping that this will mean slightly better chain life as I routinely ride in foul conditions year round due to living in the west of Scotland.

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
Put a new chain on it, and if it runs OK, run it until you get 0.5% then put the original chain back on. Keep the second chain until the original chain gets to 0.75% then put the second chain back on and run that until the cassette and chain give up.

If the new chain does not run OK, then put the original chain back on and run the cassette until it dies and then buy a new cassette and fit the second chain to it.

...and the front ring too :)

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
worry about it when it starts skipping under power, you'll know when....
Bottom line.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Best strategy is a chain checker, swap chains that go beyond 0.5 & shred the gnar, Dude 🤘

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I recently had that on my RockRider.
The Chainring is big enough to not start skipping, but made a rattling noise under load.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...and the front ring too :)
In all the years of riding I have done, I have only ever had to replace front rings once and that was on a 2x. There was no doubt that they needed changing. Not just were they obviously worn (see below), but a new chain just would not transmit power without skipping. For the avoidance of doubt the worn ring is at the front!

Big rings 3.jpg

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
I just change the chain at 0.5, hardtail is nearly at 2.5k miles, full sus was at 1.5k miles when I changed from a sunrace 12 speed to a Shimano 11 speed due to crap gear change, no skipping or chain slip though.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I've done over 5000k on my bike and I'm on only my second chain which is still within wear limits. When I get to the end of the third chain's life I may need to change the cassette, although I've never had to replace one on an analogue bike and my oldest one is thirty years old! I've never had a chain skip on one. I think this is because I'm quite light and I only ride in dry conditions. The conditions one rides in make an enormous difference. Although chains and cassettes can wear out quickly in wet, gritty conditions, if kept dry, well lubricated and the chain is replaced regularly, a cassette can last for many thousands of kilometers. My experience is that shops are keen to replace cassettes when there is plenty of life left in them. As said above, it is when they start skipping that they really need replacing. An enclosed chain, completely protected will last a lifetime. A cam chain in a car can easily last for the life of a car.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
thirty years old, so must be a 7 or 8 speed cassette.
Wear on our 12sp chains is significantly higher than on a 8sp chain.
If you see both chains next to each other you know why.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles