Do Scott ebikes not get much love?

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Hi all, whilst deliberating ebikes recently I noticed that Scott don't seem to crop up too much compared to many other brands. So, just a general query, why do you think this is? I barely knew they made one until I stumbled across the eRide 920. For the money it's extremely hard to beat, I love the fact I can convert it to 27.5" or a mullet setup easily, I love the two stage front and rear lockout lever right on the bars, the overall spec is spot on for the money etc.
Despite all this I struggle to find any thorough reviews of that model on YouTube etc?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
It's ok is the best I can say for it. The componentry isn't especially outstanding & you can buy similar spec bikes for less. I have no dog in the fight & for all I know it may be a great ride but on paper it doesn't really stand out.

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Personally I feel the spec is spot on for the money especially taking the little details into account like the dual position lockout & the flip chip. Admittedly many would want a carbon main frame but I'm a bit scared of carbon fibre so to me it being all alloy is a good thing. I'm also taking into account stock shortages at the minute too, many of the 'better value' brands are out of stock and will be for a long time :(
Once I've had a few more rides on it I'll post a review anyway!

No Scott ebikes seem to get much love as far as I can see though? Even here there's not a great number of posts compared to others and I struggle to see why.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
There may be reasons for that. I've known lb's not carry brands because support is poor or margins make it not worthwhile & in those cases you don't get numbers of buyers & consequently not much chatter on forums. I have no idea if it's that way with Scott but in my case, I'm riding a Jam2 that has all of the spec of that Scott & is a grand cheaper. The Scott would have to be an exceptional bike to persuade me to switch.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I ride a 6.8. Thing is though, if you rate the Scott & it's doing it for you, then it's absolutely the bike you should buy. (y)

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Nice ride! Looks like the 6.8 would have been about £300 less at current pricing, if I could have bought one, it's out of stock everywhere and who knows when more stock will be available.
Yeah I've spent countless hours researching and now I have something so I can get out riding and that's the main thing :)

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
pal has the ransom, my bro in law the e-ride. both seem like nice bikes. haven't ridden either though.

I agree price wise they are decent for spec, some seem mixed on the looks of them. i quite like them but they are quite bulky....

i think the lock out is pointless personally on a e bike, the guys don't ever use them and it just clutters up the bars. I got one i'd remove this straight away.

They seem to be more popular in europe than uk, as said above maybe down to better dealer network etc.

If you like them, get one... it's your bike mate. (y)

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
I'd guess on long smooth climbs the lockout may save some battery power? When I had a non-electric full suspension the lockout was very useful ...but, as you say, I can easily remove it if I end up not using it 👌
Clutter doesn't bother me personally though, if it's functional.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I think most ebike riders find lock outs a bit superfluous in the context of battery assisted riding but it's still a handy feature on flat riding imo, tightens up the feel of the bike. On normy bikes, it's the best thing ever when you're half way up a two mile climb & realise the fork is swallowing half of every pedal stroke!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I'd guess on long smooth climbs the lockout may save some battery power? When I had a non-electric full suspension the lockout was very useful ...but, as you say, I can easily remove it if I end up not using it 👌
Clutter doesn't bother me personally though, if it's functional.
Easy? I always have thought you have to change the damping unit?
And I personally like the fact that the handlebar is more clean.

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
To remove the lockout system entirely I expect the damping units would need replacing?
I believe one can remove the lever from the bars & all the cabling and then the lockout would still be operable but not remotely

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
To remove the lockout system entirely I expect the damping units would need replacing?
I believe one can remove the lever from the bars & all the cabling and then the lockout would still be operable but not remotely

Yeah, it’s just cable and lever I’d remove so can re instal if ever wanted to / sell the bike

carlton

Sep 6, 2021
Wokingham
I've had a Strike eride 930 for about 3 months. I'm a noob to mountain bikes so I've nothing to compare it to. However it does all that I want and more. I do use the handlebar lockout and it does make a marginal difference but if you wanted to remove it I doubt it'd really be noticable except a bit more battery drain.

I had my name on a Focus Thron2 6.9 for months but it never arrived at the lbs so I got this bike from elsewhere. They got 3 in on Thursday and they were all sold by Monday so popular enough for that bike shop. As far as I can see it's almost exactly the same as the Focus but the Scott was £300 cheaper and that paid for the upgrade to a Nyon display. Everyone I've shown the bike to has been pretty impressed, including the lbs when they fitted the Nyon.

I think at the moment, with the shortage of bikes in general, probably the most important thing is availability.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I've had a Strike eride 930 for about 3 months. I'm a noob to mountain bikes so I've nothing to compare it to. However it does all that I want and more. I do use the handlebar lockout and it does make a marginal difference but if you wanted to remove it I doubt it'd really be noticable except a bit more battery drain.

I had my name on a Focus Thron2 6.9 for months but it never arrived at the lbs so I got this bike from elsewhere. They got 3 in on Thursday and they were all sold by Monday so popular enough for that bike shop. As far as I can see it's almost exactly the same as the Focus but the Scott was £300 cheaper and that paid for the upgrade to a Nyon display. Everyone I've shown the bike to has been pretty impressed, including the lbs when they fitted the Nyon.

I think at the moment, with the shortage of bikes in general, probably the most important thing is availability.
I'd the same thing. Was waiting for the Thon2 6.9 XL and the shop got back to me to say it would be delayed well into the new year(This was about june), or 'I did get this Scott genius 920 XL' About the same money,better fork, ok slightly better. ok slightly heavier :LOL:
But overall im happy with it. It fits me and has the features i need, though I still intend to upgrade the brakes and maybe wheels

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Finally been for a proper ride out on mine, absolutely love it. Just need a bit more handlebar raise but that's personal preference & an easy thing to change.

I don't have anything to compare it to really apart from a quick go on a friends Trek Rail 7. It feels like a modern, trail orientated e-bike 🤷🏻‍♂️

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've had seven Scott carbon, cross country push bikes, Scales and Sparks, (I just liked buying bikes which were, in those days, often quite cheap in end of model year sales). I loved them all. However, Scott obviously invested a lot of money in their lockout system and are determined to use it. Someone needs to tell them that you don't need lockouts on an e-mtbs, if they listen, then I could well become one of their customers yet again.

i

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I have a e Spark & a e Genius. Love them both, but I find I have a little more of a soft spot for the Genius ( maybe because it's orange ).
I cannot fault their reliability & I love the looks. I find them very pleasing to the eye & they get compliments which tells me I made the right choice. The dealer I purchased the Spark from fell out with Scott, because their after sales were crap. My lbs used to also stock Scott & they fell out with them for the same reason.

Mike Malanowicz

Feb 8, 2022
Warsaw, Poland
Scott bikes are on pair with others, no better, no worse. I compared my eGenius to Merida e160, Haibike xduro, Focus JAM, etc. Every bike felt a bit different, but no better or worse. I choose Scott because of a shop I have near by and this is quite important as I have 3 bikes in total. But Scott as a company is non-existent in social media so I guess they lack in marketing dept. Just look what Santa Cruz is doing when they release a new bike - new Heckler (as I'm writing this message) is everywhere and being horribly expensive I guess lots of people will buy it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles