Do E-Bikes freewheel slower?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Just as the title says really. I've noticed on my bike even going down steady gradients and not hitting the limit the e bike definitely doesn't build speed up like the acoustic bikes' do. Is this normal? It will still build speed up but doesn't free wheel like the other bikes. I've had it on my maintenance stand and both wheels spin nicely. Just wkndering?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
My Kenevo free wheels so well I thought it had the motor on driving it downhill. It rolls well :)

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
No. The only thing I can think of is that the tyres are the nobliest I've ever road. But the bike just came with them. Don't get it then as it defiantly doesn't freewheel like my acoustics. My acoustics get carried away on any kind of downhill slope. My e-bike I'm pedalling a bit on slight downhills just to keep momentum

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My money's still on your tyres.

Please tease us more with subtle discription of them but no actual details. ;)

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Don't know if this image helps. Ha. Just after in boxing the bike.

20180831_204335.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If I wasn't such an utter bike geek your pic would probably be absolutely no help at all but since I've read the spec list on the E-Sentier it actually does.
Your bike came with Maxxis Minion DHF Maxx Grip, 3C/TR/DD, 27.5” x 2.5 tyres. Same as my Sommet.

They're very heavy (and so are the tubes Vitus spec) and very draggy.
Swap them out for something faster rolling and lighter and go tubeless.
Your rims are already tubeless ready so it's as simple as taping them adding valves and sealant.

In doing the above you'll drop 3lb off the weight of the bike and transform it from draggy and unresponsive to faster rolling/acelerating and more nimble.

If sticking with Maxis Dual compound is faster rolling and Exo casing is easily tough enough for most riding but saves 2-300g over DD casing.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Cheers @Gary that's a real big help. Any chance you could recommend any tyres. I'll be using this bike mainly for commuting and adventuring. No super technical or jumpy stuff. Will keep full suspension acoustic for them days

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My bike rolls much faster than my mrs on her other bike, fat basard on heavy bike.....momentum is king

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
My bike rolls much faster than my mrs on her other bike, fat basard on heavy bike.....momentum is king

This is very noticible when I'm riding with larger friends on regular bikes

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
What terrain? I'm guessing a mixture of roads and off-road but what sort of off-road surfaces?

Everything from tarmac to muddy fire roads and slightly muddy trialls. Won'ttake the ebike touddy fields or anything but will take to dry trials and fields. Also will be used on wet roads at times.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hmm... it's really up to you to choose then as I don't know how much grip or how much of an off-road tyre you're really after.
You can't really fit anything properly narrow as your bike comes with 30mm internal rims so really you're looking at choosing something 2.3-2.5
For the rear a semi slick like a 2.3 Maxxis Minion SS in Dual comp/exo is a really versatile pretty fast rolling and fast mud clearing tread for the rear and tough enough for most riding but lightweight. they'll handle proper technical all weather riding under a decent rider.
You 'could' try one on the front too, but they're not really a directional front tyre as such. They corner brilliantly even in damp/soft conditions, infact much like the DHF (what I'd pair one with) but only if you lean the bike over properly onto the edge tread rather than steer sat up if you get what I mean. you may want something more directional but still fast rolling which takes you into larger XC style tyres. and I have to admit I cannot personally make any recommendations in that category as it's not what I ever ride.
If you have a good LBS ask their advice. most decent bike shops stock tyres for exactly the sort of mixed use you seem to be wanting. Just try and avoid cheap heavy tyres.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
"Maxxis Minion DHF Maxx Grip, 3C/TR/DD, 27.5” x 2.5 tyres "

Sticky downhill tires that are fast when you're pinning it on something steep. and feel like dragging a chain everywhere else. New tires will solve your problem

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the same tyres on my Sentier, and they are like riding a steam roller on Tarmac or anything not properly off road. I like them, but if was doing the riding you are describing, i would use something else

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
NO mine freewheels faster than normal bikes downhill - I would imagine due to the extra weight

check your brakes- they coulld be rubbing and you wouldnt notice

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles