DIY Tubeless inflator, cheap airshot

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
After struggling with getting a tyre to seat when going tubeless google came up with a few of these so I set out to make my own and here is how I did it incase you want to make your own.

Fire extinguisher, I bought this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/firemax-dry-powder-fire-extinguisher-1kg/5534h

20191123_125337.jpg

Empty it out into a bin then when your sure its not got any air left in it unscrew the top and give it a good clean out.

Unscrew this threaded nut and drill it out to 6mm, I also chopped it down a bit but its not important.

20191124_083033.jpg

Cut a valve out of a old innertube and take the core out, cut it so it fills the hole in the extinguisher with as little play as possible.

20191124_083545.jpg

Push the nut you drilled out onto the valve then put the valve nut on and make sure its nice and tight, wrap some PTFE tape around the lot to create a nice seal.

20191124_084259.jpg

Screw it back into the extinguisher nice and tight.

20191124_084414.jpg

Put your pump on and pump it up, you will need to hold the handle on the extinguisher down so it can get air in.

20191124_084602.jpg

Push some 6mm tube (I already had some, ebay, amazon, B&Q, homebase ect all have this) onto the extinguisher and onto your tyre valve and blast.

20191124_084720.jpg

80 PSI got these impossible tyres on but I have took this up to 120PSI with no problem, it will be rated way higher than I could pump it to, the only slight concern I would have is the valve blasting 'through' the nut but I doubt it.

cat1

Aug 9, 2019
United Kingdom
One of the guys on the demised MBR Forum made a one from a 3-litre plastic coke bottle.
I would not like to take one of those up to 120psi. :eek:
Been doing this years. Cheap supermarket 2l carbonated water bottle does it. 80 -100psi. And if you really want you can take a 500ml out with you.

Hahgerthegreat

Nov 26, 2019
Northern Ireland Uk
After struggling with getting a tyre to seat when going tubeless google came up with a few of these so I set out to make my own and here is how I did it incase you want to make your own.

Fire extinguisher, I bought this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/firemax-dry-powder-fire-extinguisher-1kg/5534h

View attachment 22081

Empty it out into a bin then when your sure its not got any air left in it unscrew the top and give it a good clean out.

Unscrew this threaded nut and drill it out to 6mm, I also chopped it down a bit but its not important.

View attachment 22082

Cut a valve out of a old innertube and take the core out, cut it so it fills the hole in the extinguisher with as little play as possible.

View attachment 22083

Push the nut you drilled out onto the valve then put the valve nut on and make sure its nice and tight, wrap some PTFE tape around the lot to create a nice seal.

View attachment 22084

Screw it back into the extinguisher nice and tight.

View attachment 22085

Put your pump on and pump it up, you will need to hold the handle on the extinguisher down so it can get air in.

View attachment 22086

Push some 6mm tube (I already had some, ebay, amazon, B&Q, homebase ect all have this) onto the extinguisher and onto your tyre valve and blast.

View attachment 22087

80 PSI got these impossible tyres on but I have took this up to 120PSI with no problem, it will be rated way higher than I could pump it to, the only slight concern I would have is the valve blasting 'through' the nut but I doubt it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles