Differences in the same motor

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Hi All

Picked up my new Allmtn 5 last weekend and have managed a couple of rides out totalling around 40 miles.

I swapped my Bosch powered Hardseven 8 for this Bosch powered Allmtn and have noticed that this motor seems just a little bit less punchy when in any of the modes. Its very subtle, its not like 50% or anything close but its more like 5-10% difference. It does feel smoother in its power delivery because of this. I did check the software versions as I thought that maybe despite it being a 2021 model, I wondered if it was running the prev firmware with 75nm. Seems to be upto date as expected.

Can there be an allowance given for the fact that its just a new bosch motor. Much like there can be a variance in power deliveries from 2 different cars with the same engine ?! could that be a thing?

Also going to a full sus with mullet setup, could this be something to do with it also?

I dont believe its an issue as the difference is so marginal tbh, just thought Id ask.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have both a hardtail and full suss EMTB, and the power delivery on the hardtail feels slightly punchier simply because its a hardtail and no power loss through the suspension. As with a normal hardtail there's a directness for want of a better phrase in the transmission of power to the rear end.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I have both a hardtail and full suss EMTB, and the power delivery on the hardtail feels slightly punchier simply because its a hardtail and no power loss through the suspension. As with a normal hardtail there's a directness for want of a better phrase in the transmission of power to the rear end.

Less moving parts, that makes sense. Would explain it. :p

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I have to say after a few weeks use am still loving this thing.

After a couple of hundred miles, the motor has become quieter and ive noticed that this bosch motor has less drag when freewheeling in any mode compared to the same motor on the hardtail. Theres definitely less grunt in each mode which just means I gotta put more in, which is no bad thing.

Now that the sun is starting shine I cant wait to get out again!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have to say after a few weeks use am still loving this thing.

After a couple of hundred miles, the motor has become quieter and ive noticed that this bosch motor has less drag when freewheeling in any mode compared to the same motor on the hardtail. Theres definitely less grunt in each mode which just means I gotta put more in, which is no bad thing.

Now that the sun is starting shine I cant wait to get out again!

What tyres did your AllMtn 5 come with ? Compared to my hardtail I’ve noticed the opposite to you! Far less range, less distance when freewheeling on tarmac, grass & gravel (but rolls forever on trail). It’s the same weight as my hardtail (25kg) but feels heavier. I’m still having an absolute blast, just having to put in the extra work. I’m putting it all down to the DHR/F’s it came with and the width (2.8) of the rear DHR. Will change to E-Wild’s I reckon when the rubber’s worn

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
What tyres did your AllMtn 5 come with ? Compared to my hardtail I’ve noticed the opposite to you! Far less range, less distance when freewheeling on tarmac, grass & gravel (but rolls forever on trail). It’s the same weight as my hardtail (25kg) but feels heavier. I’m still having an absolute blast, just having to put in the extra work. I’m putting it all down to the DHR/F’s it came with and the width (2.8) of the rear DHR. Will change to E-Wild’s I reckon when the rubber’s worn

Yeah funny that. Mines running on the same tyre combo as you DHR/F. But yeah, when on the move my allmtn 5 needs more input from me to get going upto speed and also once on the move too. The hardtail would shoot off like its arse was on fire no matter which mode. You got a satisfying surge feeling when attacking the pedals, where this allmtn 5 seems less lively. As I say. the allmtn5 freewheels better and I hardly notice much drag from the motor where I did on the hardtail esp in Tour or Turbo modes where I would lose speed quickly when freewheeling.

odd init?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yeah funny that. Mines running on the same tyre combo as you DHR/F. But yeah, when on the move my allmtn 5 needs more input from me to get going upto speed and also once on the move too. The hardtail would shoot off like its arse was on fire no matter which mode. You got a satisfying surge feeling when attacking the pedals, where this allmtn 5 seems less lively. As I say. the allmtn5 freewheels better and I hardly notice much drag from the motor where I did on the hardtail esp in Tour or Turbo modes where I would lose speed quickly when freewheeling.

odd init?

Another theory I have is that the novelty of electric motor assistance has come to now feel normal and I’ve used turbo mode so often that anything less just feels like hard work!

I’d hate to have to cycle up a hill on a standard MTB bike now, think I’d puke haha

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Another theory I have is that the novelty of electric motor assistance has come to now feel normal and I’ve used turbo mode so often that anything less just feels like hard work!

I’d hate to have to cycle up a hill on a standard MTB bike now, think I’d puke haha
If im feelin a bit sadistic I'll select 'off' and find the nearest hill!!! :p

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles