Diamondback Release 3 2018 + cyc x1 gen 3 - will my battery hit the front wheel?

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
Hello,

I've just spent all day trying to mount my EM3EV rectangular battery on my Diamondback Release 3 2018.
Battery I'm using:
EM3EV
50V (14S7P) Rectangle Battery Pack With Smart BMS Options
  • 14S7P Battery Option:
    52V 23.8Ah (14S7P-GA) High-Energy Pack With Smart BMS

Will the battery hit the front wheel? I'm 200 lbs and I don't plan on doing crazy jumps. However I want to make sure the front wheel doesnt smash into the battery when I ride off a curb. Once I figure out how to get a battery on this bike, I will buy the cyc x1 gen 3 mid drive 52v 3000 watts

20230313_005823.jpg 20230313_003606.jpg 20230312_233221.jpg 20230312_233211.jpg 20230313_002935.jpg 20230313_002910.jpg

Last edited:

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
Let the air out of your forks and you'll be able to see.
Dang. It hits the battery when bottoming out. Thx. I will try and mount up top by handle bar area. Seems like it would be too top heavy and make the bike uncomfortable to ride. Also the top downtube has a weird curve so I need to figure out how to mount the triple Bob's with shims underneath

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
So I've just aired up my front forks and set it to stiff.

I think with the original 3" clearance of battery on the underside of the downtube I should be good (will have to remove my front mud guard). I was putting all of my weight on the front fork and it only traveled 2.5 inches

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
Update*
Nevermind. After jumping up and down aggressively on the bike, the front fork traveled 2.90". I dont know if i want to risk the front tire rubbing against the battery if I mount it down there

My bike came with 2 rockshox gray fork spacers. If I add these to the front suspension, will it be able to reduce ma travel distance so it doesnt hit my battery?

Last edited:

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Not exactly. The volume spacers just make the air spring more progressive but don't reduce the possible travel. How ever you will need to apply more force to go deeper in to the travel.

What motor will you be using?

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
Not exactly. The volume spacers just make the air spring more progressive but don't reduce the possible travel. How ever you will need to apply more force to go deeper in to the travel.

What motor will you be using?
I will be using cyc x1 pro gen 3 3,000 watt.

I just added 2 more rockshox spacers (there was none* inside) and did a jump up and down test on the bike. The front fork traveled a little less than 3 inch. I'm going to order 3 more spacers for a total of 5.

From my understanding the spacer and air should make it more "progessive" making it harder to travel further distance (which is what I want). I will be riding this mtb bike conversion on pathed roads. I wish there was a way to just turn off front suspension :)

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Can you not just move the battery further down the down tube, so that the it doesn't hang any lower than the chainring. Hope that makes some sense

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
Can you not just move the battery further down the down tube, so that the it doesn't hang any lower than the chainring. Hope that makes some sense
I wanted to leave enough room down there for the cyc x1 pro gen3 that will be installed. I might try and move the battery further down if there is enough room later once the cyc is installed.

I'm moving forward with my install and will be purchasing the cyc.

I think 3.25" clearance from the battery to the front of my tire should be enough if I stiffen up my front fork and air it to 105psi + add 5 rockshox spacers. I will be riding on mostly pathed roads with this MTB.

I am building this MTB so I can ride this Banks Vernonia State Trail (60 Miles both ways). My Ariel Rider Grizzly is too bulky for this trail.
There is also a few MTB trails there I'd like to try (without doing the jumps and tricks)

But yeah, hoping this eMTB build works out.

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
Installed my cyc x1 gen3 today. Some issues with the gears...

I went from the stock 30t to the cyc 32t chain ring.

My 11 gear shifter is only going to the 10th cog at its highest and when I go to the lowest gear, it comes off past the tiny cog.

Is my chain too short now?

My bike's bottom bracket is 73mm, so per the cyc manual, I used a 3mm and 7mm spacer on the non drive side when I did the install. Would using the incorrect spacers cause an offset in the gear shifting?

20230528_161120.jpg

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Thx.

Now I'm having issues getting the brake cut off sensors to work. It came with 2 magnets and 2 sensors. :(
These are only a safety feature and are not required. How are you going to rip burn-outs if you can't hold the front brake on whilst pulling full throttle!?

VietPho

Mar 6, 2023
Oregon
I got my brake sensors working properly; had to make sure those magnets didn't magnetized my entire brake lever and confusing my sensors. I'm keeping it under 1900 wattage.

1st ride videos:

Screenshot_20230604-204024.jpg Screenshot_20230604-204018.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles