Derailleur hanger chipped

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
When swapping out my cassette we and recalibrating the shifting, we noticed that the rear hanger was chipped. A small chunk of metal missing, right where the adjustment screw presses against the metal, such that the screw had nothing to press against. Anyone else experience this?

I picked up and installed a replacement, but looking at the hanger, it just seems poorly designed. The metal tip is very small easy to break off. Here's a picture of the part and I've scribbled in red where the break occurred. Apparently this is the only part available for 2019 Spectral:eek:n's.

1629042386348.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The hanger is "sacrificial". The small nub is to align the derailleur, if that's broken then it's done it's job and snapped off to save the derailleur taking all the shock force and breaking.

The general idea of the hanger is not to be a structural element, but to bend or break should the derailleur take a hit. It's common to carry a spare with you on a ride.

If you're a total mobile disaster like me then you buy replacements in sets of 4 in the hope they'd last you a few weeks.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
The hanger is "sacrificial". The small nub is to align the derailleur, if that's broken then it's done it's job and snapped off to save the derailleur taking all the shock force and breaking.

The general idea of the hanger is not to be a structural element, but to bend or break should the derailleur take a hit. It's common to carry a spare with you on a ride.

If you're a total mobile disaster like me then you buy replacements in sets of 4 in the hope they'd last you a few weeks.

Ah, ok. I was wondering 'Wow, who in the hell would design such a fragile POS'. I guess I'll order a few more then (and wait until someone design a IGH we can use instead).

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When a mech hanger's b-tension screw stop (what you've called the "tip" and circled in red) is damaged it's often from poorly installed mech.
If your mech is not rotated backwards enough while installing the mech attachment bolt the b-tension screw in the mech won't clear the stop sufficiently and then as you tighten the mech bolt to the hanger the b-tension screw can gouge the hanger.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles