Dengfu E10 is this the right fork n shock before I buy?

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
Please excuse the question but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger, can anyone confirm that these are correct items for my 17" frame I've ordered?

Screenshot_20211101-095913.png

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Yes to the rear shock.
Yes and No for the fork.... The E10 was designed to run with 29" wheels, but the ZEB fork you have shown is for 27.5" diameter wheels. It will fit the frame and work with a 27.5" front wheel, but I wouldn't recommend it - the geometry of the bike will be off and the bottom backet height will be waaaaaaay too low, causing pedal strikes-a-plenty! Also if you lost your mind and fitted a 29" wheel in the rear, you would have a VERY strange ride indeed, but it might catch on...
What's a reversed mullet' called??? maybe a 'comb-over'?? :unsure:

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
Yes to a 29" ZEB, but I think 180mm is getting pretty long and the balance front and back with a 55mm stroke shock will be off. 170mm is long, but people have fitted them without too much issue.
Mullet works well as does 29-29". Horses for courses really... My only experience is with a mullet setup and it works great on the twisty single-track type of riding. If you predominantly ride fast, steep, rocky terrain, then 29" at both ends might be better? I'll let someone else comment on that setup.

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
Yes to a 29" ZEB, but I think 180mm is getting pretty long and the balance front and back with a 55mm stroke shock will be off. 170mm is long, but people have fitted them without too much issue.
Mullet works well as does 29-29". Horses for courses really... My only experience is with a mullet setup and it works great on the twisty single-track type of riding. If you predominantly ride fast, steep, rocky terrain, then 29" at both ends might be better? I'll let someone else comment on that setup.

No that's great. Bearing in mind I've ordered the 17" frame, ill order one of these.

In 170mm

Thanks for the advice. I'm only 1.70m tall so have gone for the 17" frame. I do like quite steep rocky terrain so do you think mullet 27.5 / 29 or 29/29?

And is that ok with 17" frame. Thanks for advice about pedal strike, I don't want this to be an issue ( I understand , you get pedal strike, I don't want to add to it)

Sheff73

Feb 13, 2021
UK
I think the 17" frame should be fine for you especially with a nice short stem around 35mm reach. The mullet setup will also be great.

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
I think the 17" frame should be fine for you especially with a nice short stem around 35mm reach. The mullet setup will also be great.

Thanks mate. Any advice well appreciated. Just waiting for some stock to come in. Frames not gonna be here till Christmas so plenty of time to get some good priced stuff.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
"If you predominantly ride fast, steep, rocky terrain, then 29" at both ends might be better? ". yes or 27.5 rear with 29 front 160 or 170 and 216x63 schock (with modification on the yoke). It have not only one solution, depend of your expect, stability/maniability ? safe/funny ? terrain clean/destroy (or shapped/natural) ? it is a compromise following you choice. in any case, exept if you ride on pump track, the 29 front is the better. For the rest no recomendations exepting avoid extrems (27.5x2.2 and 210x55 rear and 29x2.6 and 180 front)

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
"If you predominantly ride fast, steep, rocky terrain, then 29" at both ends might be better? ". yes or 27.5 rear with 29 front 160 or 170 and 216x63 schock (with modification on the yoke). It have not only one solution, depend of your expect, stability/maniability ? safe/funny ? terrain clean/destroy (or shapped/natural) ? it is a compromise following you choice. in any case, exept if you ride on pump track, the 29 front is the better. For the rest no recomendations exepting avoid extrems (27.5x2.2 and 210x55 rear and 29x2.6 and 180 front)

Thank you very much for the info. I do a lot of bike tracks but I enjoy mostly finding routes up mountains and just general unknown trail riding so there is a mix. I currently have a lapierre am 927i 27.5/ 27.5 in Large ( bought second hand) but frame has snapped and no warranty ( long story) I am very used to this setup and find no stability issues but I have always thought of putting a 29 on front for more downhill stability so I'm thinking on my new bike a mullet with 29 on front would be good for me.

Incidentally the people who supply my frame also supply wheels and have these, wondering if you have any advice. They will supply 27/29 of these wheels

Screenshot_20211102-092356.png

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Personally i found that expensive (can find DT 1700 for lower price for exemple on RCZ). In add carbon wheels are valid for road, but i find it less confortable than aluminium rims on rock garden and the gain of weight is imperceptible in regards of the 25 kg of the bike

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
Personally i found that expensive (can find DT 1700 for lower price for exemple on RCZ). In add carbon wheels are valid for road, but i find it less confortable than aluminium rims on rock garden and the gain of weight is imperceptible in regards of the 25 kg of the bike

Thanks mate , I will look into this. Thanks for the advice. Your bike looks brilliant by the way wish I was near those mountains

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland

I switched from 29 front rear to 27,5 front rear.

Preference 27,5 front rear for sure. Agility was very welcome with a heavy ebike.

Then I switched to mullet. It is really an in between option. Yes, more speed and grip trough corners. But lacks some agility and I also think some playfulness. Also I felt less in control of the bike.
Im not sure at the moment what setup I prefer.

Need some more time in the saddle between the setups. Also playing with different fork lengths during this to really find out what suits me best.

Please don’t forget that the energy saving of the smoother rolling 29 inch wheels (on uneven terrain) aren’t as big of an issue with an emtb as on a normal mtb.

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
I switched from 29 front rear to 27,5 front rear.

Preference 27,5 front rear for sure. Agility was very welcome with a heavy ebike.

Then I switched to mullet. It is really an in between option. Yes, more speed and grip trough corners. But lacks some agility and I also think some playfulness. Also I felt less in control of the bike.
Im not sure at the moment what setup I prefer.

Need some more time in the saddle between the setups. Also playing with different fork lengths during this to really find out what suits me best.

Please don’t forget that the energy saving of the smoother rolling 29 inch wheels (on uneven terrain) aren’t as big of an issue with an emtb as on a normal mtb.

Bollox lol , back to square one 😆

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland
If you ask me, a mullet is really an in between option. Don’t think you can go wrong with that.

And going full 27,5 or 29…. Wil always be arguably regarding frame geometry, setup and personal preference. And if you are looking for what really suits you best. Then there is only one way to find out…Try it yourself.

A wile ago I rented 2 normal dh mtbs in a bikepark with a friend. On full 29 one full 27,5. We switched bikes over after a wile. I trought the 27,5 was more difficult to hold speed. My friend struggled to flip the 29 over in thight turns. So we both preferred the bike we started with.

But if we both had the same bike that day and nothing to compare. We probably would’ve been happy also😜

Reactions: rtp

Sandur-Rx

Sep 11, 2021
Holland
What is fork offset? this is interesting to.

in the end he says this:
On my last few bikes, I’ve swapped forks out several times between reduced offset and 51mm offset forks. Each time I get used to the new offset within a ride or two. In my experience, you simply adapt to whatever you’re using. If you practice enough with whatever you have, you will get faster. That's the truth.

And I think he is absolutely right. I also think that every time i change something. Getting faster gets a little extra boost. Just because you are forced to adapt to the new setup.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Just to throw you completely. Can I ask why you need a 170mm fork. The higher you push the front together with the 29er wheel, the more slugguish and dead feeling the steering and less agility the bike because of the higher BB ( higher COG ). You need to ask yourself what sort of riding am I doing mostly, if its not serious downhills and drop offs, do I need the longer forks ? Perhaps a 150mm fork with a 29er wheel may just be enough to keep the BB height down and keep the bike more playful.

I don't do bike parks, but more gnarly XC, 150mm forks are fine, in the winter I fit 2.8 x 27.5 at the front due to the mud and slower speeds, 2.6 x 29er in the summer when all things speed up and the ground is a bit harder. I have found though with the shorter front end that I have had to fit Lunar 155 cranks, which incidentally I highly recommend with the M600 motor.

happi777

Nov 17, 2020
singapore
I‘m running 29“ front and 180 mm fork. 27.5 rear, but using a longer shock (216 x 63) to get 170 travel at the rear wheel. This bike is a beast. Head Angle 64 deg, BB hight at 358 mm. It’s a matter of taste…
216 x 63 rear shock require any modifications? Appreciate your help

rtp

Nov 21, 2021
USA
Can you please help me choose the right fork for my dengfu size M?
I will be using a 27.5" front and rear wheel.
View attachment 85904 View attachment 85905
Looks right. Luna X2 variant and I think Dengfu full bike come with 160mm travel (can't locate E10 dengfu full bike, maybe b/c from US, or it's just down again - from Dengfu full bike may be 150mm). Some have also gone to 170mm fork travel...

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
Looks right. Luna X2 variant and I think Dengfu full bike come with 160mm travel (can't locate E10 dengfu full bike, maybe b/c from US, or it's just down again - from Dengfu full bike may be 150mm). Some have also gone to 170mm fork travel...
Thank you, do you prefer 37mm fork offset or 46mm in this case?

rtp

Nov 21, 2021
USA
Thank you, do you prefer 37mm fork offset or 46mm in this case?
Not familiar with the Boxxer, but most use the shorter offset for 27.5 and the larger offset for 29ers. 37mm offset looks low to me though - my Yari is 46mm offset running 27.5". I think DVO forks are like 40-42mm 27.5 or 44mm 29er.

I know at least one person in one of the M500/600/cheeb threads swapped between different offset forks and pretty much came to the conclusion they adjusted to either one pretty quickly, but that 37mm offset sure seems low to me. It's probably worth the time to read through some of the 'cheer'/E10 build threads to see if anyone's running a boxxer. Which size wheels are you going to run?

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany
Not familiar with the Boxxer, but most use the shorter offset for 27.5 and the larger offset for 29ers. 37mm offset looks low to me though - my Yari is 46mm offset running 27.5". I think DVO forks are like 40-42mm 27.5 or 44mm 29er.

I know at least one person in one of the M500/600/cheeb threads swapped between different offset forks and pretty much came to the conclusion they adjusted to either one pretty quickly, but that 37mm offset sure seems low to me. It's probably worth the time to read through some of the 'cheer'/E10 build threads to see if anyone's running a boxxer. Which size wheels are you going to run?
I'm going to run 27.5" front and rear wheel.

Last edited:

SchadowMaster

Aug 12, 2021
Germany

Front: DT SWISS HX 1700 SPLINE 27.5'' 35 MM Boost 15x110 mm

Rear: DT SWISS HX 1700 SPLINE 27.5'' 35 MM BOOST 12X148 MM

vancouver rider

Apr 25, 2022
canada
I‘m running 29“ front and 180 mm fork. 27.5 rear, but using a longer shock (216 x 63) to get 170 travel at the rear wheel. This bike is a beast. Head Angle 64 deg, BB hight at 358 mm. It’s a matter of taste…

does 180 feels too much travel for you? have any issue with headtube damage?
if i run 180 should i up to 216x63 or can i stay 210x55?
thank you very much

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles