Decoy shred or kenevo expert

EmtbMuncey

Oct 28, 2021
Hertfordshire
Hi guys,

I’m about to purchase my first emtb and looking for some advise.

I have around £6000 to spend and have narrowed it down to either a new YT decoy shred or a used Specialized kenevo expert 2020 as both are around the same price.

I have demoed a decoy from the mill in surrey hills and loved the way it rode. But that is the first and only emtb I have ever ridden.

I mainly ride at bike parks and just wondered what one you would go for? Any advise would be much appreciated.

*I should of been more specific, My local bike parks are chicksands and woburn. I normally only go for a morning or afternoon ride and want to be able to get as many runs in as possible. Also places like windhill have a long push back to the top. Also when I get one I would like to go places like surrey hills as you can cover ground so fast.*

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021
UK, South
I have to be honest, using my EMTB at an uplift-assisted bike park was not a particulary great experience. Unless you have 2 batteries you'll need to charge at lunchtime, and even then, you will still be spending ages e-climbing vs the uplift, with the need to stay in eco mode for most climbs anyway.

You can, of course, put the ebike on the uplift but then, what's the point of having an ebike that day vs. an acoustic?

Push-bikes are still the king for uplift-assisted bike parks, but for places that don't have uplifts (such as Rogate) any ebike is a win.

If you don't have access to a push-bike and only own an ebike nowadays, I strongly recommend that you just book the uplift. You can then at least sneak cheeky pedal strokes in, even on the gravity sections.

EmtbMuncey

Oct 28, 2021
Hertfordshire
I should of been more specific, My local bike parks are chicksands and woburn. I normally only go for a morning or afternoon ride and want to be able to get as many runs in as possible. Also places like windhill have a long push back to the top. Also when I get one I would like to go places like surrey hills as you can cover ground so fast.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hi guys,

I’m about to purchase my first emtb and looking for some advise.

I have around £6000 to spend and have narrowed it down to either a new YT decoy shred or a used Specialized kenevo expert 2020 as both are around the same price.

I have demoed a decoy from the mill in surrey hills and loved the way it rode. But that is the first and only emtb I have ever ridden.

I mainly ride at bike parks and just wondered what one you would go for? Any advise would be much appreciated.

The one without a motor.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
See my reply.

Got it. The Kenevo is gonna have a better battery and you're likely to have a better customer service experience with Specialized if something goes wrong. The YT is a nice enough bike, but it's based on an older drive system and the future availability E8000 spares could be a question mark since the EP8 is out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles