Deciding on trail preference before deciding on first eMTB

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
HI again all.

In my usual fashion, I've just about researched myself to a standstill about if/when/what eMTB to buy. I had 99% decided on the JAM2 6.8 Plus that is on sale at my local bike shop in frame size XL.

Previously, I decided I would ride the bike to work 2-3 times per week and go MTBing once per month. But I went for a hike in a local city council forest yesterday. The tracks had many sets of full width stairs (made of concrete steps and also timber construction) and there are a few signs about "no bicycles allowed" - so not well suited to an eMTB. The environment sure did whet the appetite and a normal commute will be pretty lame in comparison.

My question for today is:

Should I be deciding on the style of riding I want to do before making a bike purchase?

The JAM2 6.8 Plus would be a good thing. But I like the idea now of beating challenging terrain - particularly uphill, but fast-ish downhill will be a hoot and there is much appeal in learning to get good at general MTB skills. And I have to admit I watch way too many videos about bunny hopping, manuals and wheelies.

I am in a fortunate position (at 51 years old) in that I could afford an A$8500 bike, but don't want to be the wanker at the bike park who is obviously a total newb, can't ride for peanuts yet, but has the best bike in the place.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I'm about your age. Can't comment on local choices in that bracket - $4000 AUD was as much as I could justify on a pushbike.
I will say that I planned to ride fire roads and green/blue MTB tracks, so the Cube HT was completely satisfactory. 3 months in, I have no wish to go harder and happy with the choice. Even if I shelled out for a full spec FS, there'd be no black diamonds.
My current trails would be more comfortable though I expect and probably faster, but I don't really care.
What's the attraction with rock gardens anyway?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Absolutely. I bought my Trek Powerfly on the basis of it's low cost, sub £3000, but very soon came to regret it. Don't get me wrong, it will handle anything I can throw at it but as I have improved I am beginning to regret not having more travel on the suspension but perhaps even more importantly I would like some better brakes i.e. 4 piston as opposed to the 2 piston fitted. When I bought it I never for a moment thought that I would become hooked on the hobby and even less that I would be throwing my 72 year old body down gnarly, single track, down hills. But that's what I'm doing and I feel that I need a little bit more bike. :)

Al

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...........My question for today is:

Should I be deciding on the style of riding I want to do before making a bike purchase?

I .......... don't want to be the wanker at the bike park who is obviously a total newb, can't ride for peanuts yet, but has the best bike in the place.
The answer to your question is a definite yes. Most of the "what bike should I buy" questions get the response of "where do you want to ride?", or "what do you want to ride?" But don't let your current state of being a "newb" bother you. As @JoeBlow realised, ambition is a wonderful thing, so get the bike that is better than you right now (most of us do that). As you do a lot of commuting, consider the NINE version of your bike.

Last point. Use some of that money to go on a few skills courses. Suck it up and go on a Beginner's MTB course, then put it into practice. Then you can go on an Intermediate skills course. I went on at least one skills course per year for years until I realised at one point that I wasn't getting any better. I had plateaued!

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
What's the attraction with rock gardens anyway?

I'm not sure about rock gardens. But I think there would be real skill, and satisfaction to be gained, in scaling something next week that I couldn't do last week.

I'm also thinking of taking an MTB skills course. If there is such a thing in my area.

Years ago I did a motorbike trials course i.e. the vey low speed, technical manouvers and seemingly impossible moves that only good bike control can enable. The MTB riders in my group were the best, regardless of previous motorbikes trials experience.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There have been many threads down similar lines .. So you're not alone in trying to think this through and come up with the best solution.

Keep in mind that everyones experiences will be different and everyones ambitions will be different. We'll also have different natural abilities, different levels of paranoia and different ideas of what's right and wrong.

I started with a hard tail at the beginning of last year. Then changed to another hard tail because I was convinced you didn't need an FS bike and didn't really want to stump up the large amount of extra cash for a bit of back end squidgy.

Last September I gave in and bought a Kenevo because basically I couldn't go any faster and still be safe on a hard tail, it was plainly apparent I'd never ever be good enough. I was already unsafe. If you do plan to explore and push your limits, an FS bike is a lot more forgiving. With the hard tails I had broken ribs, fractured pelvis, bad concussion and they were just my main injuries over an 8 month period. Hard tails are great, they're simpler, lighter, you have to ride with more skill - so you have to learn. But they're not for everyone.

No one has ever questioned my choice of bike, only my paranoia makes me think people are asking themselves what that useless twit has a Kenevo. They're not. Everyone I've met has always been helpful and has only ever tried to help me with my riding without ever being demeaning because I'm new ..

If you can afford an FS bike and you plan to progress, it makes sense to buy one rather than have to change in 6 months. The benefits of a hardtail normal bike over an FS normal bike don't really translate the same with e-bikes .. you don't bob about and waste energy pedalling, and if you do ,it's so small an amount, that with the motor it makes no difference. They're both heavy ish also and you have a motor .. so who cares.

I don't have many clips of me as I'm normally filming others, or falling off .. but the OH put these together the other day when she was bored. I'm the 1st of 3 in the on bike footage. I'm only showing it as an example of FS .. I'd been working my ass off all morning, then trail building all afternoon .. then headed off to find these two knowing roughly where they were riding. If you look carefully you can see I'm being semi sensible and taking it easy, sitting up rather than being in the "attack position" . (I've finally learnt to go steady when tired !!!! It's important !!!! - you'll also get more tired, quicker, on harder trails on a hardtail as you have to work more) . So in this instance, as it's an FS bike, I could get away with relaxing and bumbling down because I was tired and knew I'll be perfectly safe as the bike would look after me. If I'd been on my hardtail I'd have been bucked all over the place as all the drops are lipped and probably have ended up hugging a tree.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
HI again all.

In my usual fashion, I've just about researched myself to a standstill about if/when/what eMTB to buy. I had 99% decided on the JAM2 6.8 Plus that is on sale at my local bike shop in frame size XL.

Previously, I decided I would ride the bike to work 2-3 times per week and go MTBing once per month. But I went for a hike in a local city council forest yesterday. The tracks had many sets of full width stairs (made of concrete steps and also timber construction) and there are a few signs about "no bicycles allowed" - so not well suited to an eMTB. The environment sure did whet the appetite and a normal commute will be pretty lame in comparison.

The JAM2 6.8 Plus would be a good thing. But I like the idea now of beating challenging terrain - particularly uphill, but fast-ish downhill will be a hoot and there is much appeal in learning to get good at general MTB skills. And I have to admit I watch way too many videos about bunny hopping, manuals and wheelies.

I am in a fortunate position (at 51 years old) in that I could afford an A$8500 bike, but don't want to be the wanker at the bike park who is obviously a total newb, can't ride for peanuts yet, but has the best bike in the place.
Haha. I’m 52 and own 3 ebikes. I’m happy to be the wanker and yes I have little skills.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I think your subject title says it all.

DECIDING ON TRAIL PREFERENCE BEFORE DECIDING ON FIRST EMTB

If you have desires to do trials type stuff or race down black diamonds with the best of them, you'd best spend your budget (and possibly more). I am the opposite end of the spectrum around here so really have no idea about such stuff.
I got the eMTB because I missed the experiences I had when I was younger - being out in the bush on horseback and later trailbike. (soft trailbike). 4WD'ing never did it for me.....why take $80000 and 2 tonnes bush with the A/C and the Stereo blaring?
I maintain that a $4000 HT will get you everywhere an $8000 FS will but slower and maybe you need to push/carry the bike over bits.
No challenges for me - life is challenging enough - all about getting out there, and back; not getting out there fast.
But that's me and as your subject says, you need to decide for yourself.

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
HI again all.

If you enjoy riding (road bike, motorcycle, horse or anything else) in general, you will love mountain biking! The learning curve can be steep at first for many people but you will improve faster than you think.

Take a class if you can, or just ride the bike in a park and work on weight shifting / body positioning before dive into bunny hopping, manuals and wheelies. A $8500 Emtb is capable to take you to a lot of places:), I hope you enjoy your time learning and exploring.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles