• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

De-restricting speed on PW-X2 on YDX Moro

CascadeCycles

Dec 18, 2022
Seattle
[Apologies for the cross-thread - I discovered this forum after posting elsewhere]
This is very specific to the YDX-Moro/YW-X2 motor bike combo...

I just tried installing a Speedbox 3.0 on this bike/motor combination and discovered that the larger pin connector on the Speedbox does not physically match up to the one on the Yamaha motor, even though Speedbox states this unit is meant for that motor. Can anyone make a recommendation for a speed override unit for this motor/bike combination?

BTS - It's not important to me if the display indicates an incorrect speed, or if the de-restrict is on all the time. So I'm even wondering if I can just hook up the sensor connector on the Speedbox and leave the display connector connected to the motor, bypassing the Speedbox.

--Brian

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Brian there is No current manufacturer making anything that will fit the Yamaha branded Moro. Even though Yamaha sells its motor to other brands. When Yamaha use’s it’s motor in Their bikes they change the connectors. I have gone through this issue with a number of companies that make modules but none have the correct connectors nor are they perusing it. I suspect because of the small number of these bikes in the main stream. It’s just a matter of time before the Moro becomes well known especially with the new releases of the Moro 5, and 7. But until the aftermarket boys get on board your out of luck.
Enjoy your ride it’s an awesome bike !
Cheers 🍻

CascadeCycles

Dec 18, 2022
Seattle
Brian there is No current manufacturer making anything that will fit the Yamaha branded Moro. Even though Yamaha sells its motor to other brands. When Yamaha use’s it’s motor in Their bikes they change the connectors. I have gone through this issue with a number of companies that make modules but none have the correct connectors nor are they perusing it. I suspect because of the small number of these bikes in the main stream. It’s just a matter of time before the Moro becomes well known especially with the new releases of the Moro 5, and 7. But until the aftermarket boys get on board your out of luck.
Enjoy your ride it’s an awesome bike !
Cheers 🍻
Oh man, not the answer I was hoping for, but you saved me a lot of time with the research you've already done. Some additional questions I have, perhaps you or someone else can answer. If I cut the existing connectors off and replaced them with a matching set of other 4 wire connectors would that work - or do you think there would be a programming incompatibility as well? A more far reaching thought... do you think if I just connected the speed sensor to the speedbox and left the other connector connected as it came from the factory I would get derestriction, just without the ability to display true speed (this seems doubtful to me)?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
No worries at all, I considered cutting the connector route but without knowing exactly what wire does what I didn’t want to risk blowing a component. Plus finding the exact ones needed can be extremely difficult. I searched the entire net for suppliers and they all were sold out with no known date for availability.( what else is new?)
I highly doubt that leaving the offending connector off will work. I have yet to find a schematic from Yamaha or a third party to confirm anything so I stopped looking and finally gave up and started looking at the magnet/pick up as a possible mod point. That was over a year ago, I have since ridden a derestricted bike a fair bit but found I rarely went over the restriction. Since I live in the Mountains I am either going up or down, the only time the added speed was used, was on the roads going to or from the mts. I thought I would need it more, but in actual practice I hardly ever did. Though it was very sweet when I did use it. Good luck 😎

Last edited:

CascadeCycles

Dec 18, 2022
Seattle
I don't think I would need to know the functions of each wire as long as I copy the pairing as speedbox has it in their connector. Now my finding the connectors sounds like it will be a bigger challenge, given your experience. That said, I'm wondering if using the ubiquitous ethernet connector would work, assuming the wire diameter is similar.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Even though the wire connectors are stuffed up the seat tube, I would think a waterproof/resistant connector would be advisable, I’m not sure if ethernet connectors are available that way. Plus if you’re doing any cutting off of connectors your on your own when it comes to any kind of warranty. What I like about the original is how quickly you can remove the module if you need to take your bike in for service.

CascadeCycles

Dec 18, 2022
Seattle
Even though the wire connectors are stuffed up the seat tube, I would think a waterproof/resistant connector would be advisable, I’m not sure if ethernet connectors are available that way. Plus if you’re doing any cutting off of connectors your on your own when it comes to any kind of warranty. What I like about the original is how quickly you can remove the module if you need to take your bike in for service.
You're right about the waterproofness of the connector, I thought about that right after I posted. I'll do some shopping around on my own for small gauge waterproof connectors. If I have any luck with this I'll post my findings. I may also settle for the 20mph limit, given the difficulty here. Not ideal though as we do a bit more road than singletrack. Thanks again for your insights and responsiveness!

Driift

Dec 6, 2023
California
There is an awesome derestriction device currently for the Yamaha Moro. Once I have it fitted I will post it up, its very programmable etc.

Driift

Dec 6, 2023
California
Welcome to the forum Drift , I am as excited as anyone to get this installed !
It's absolutely brilliant, please keep us updated.
I assume you're referring to this...

I hope they are having an option to run a throttle if desired.
It would be great if this program could be grandfathered into previous motors as well. You are one lucky man Drift getting in early. I would love to run the battery and program here this winter in the cold and snow. I am sure it's going to be mind blowing !
... sitting here waiting for mine to arrive as well....
I can dream can't I ?
cheers
So I did watch that video from Italy and noticed something peculiar, the app he was using. At first I thought it was a shop special they made with all that power adjustments etc but when I put in speed derestrictor into goole and Australian site came up with a product by ePlus ..... so I looked at the app and facebook and voila that is what it is. And it from an Italian shop. This is who I ordered it from below ........They have two versions and one SPECIFICALLY for the Moro ..... Enjoy .... mine will be here in Southern California .... USA in a few days, cannot wait. I have a Moro 07 Special Edition and have to say to anyone reading this, I have a very experienced motorcycle background raced dirt bikes for years and owned just about every colllectilble street bike .... the Yamaha Moro 07 has amazing steering, its really good. For an overall well balanced bike its hard to beat.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Welcome to the forum Drift , I am as excited as anyone to get this installed !
It's absolutely brilliant, please keep us updated.
I assume you're referring to this...

I hope they are having an option to run a throttle if desired.
It would be great if this program could be grandfathered into previous motors as well. You are one lucky man Drift getting in early. I would love to run the battery and program here this winter in the cold and snow. I am sure it's going to be mind blowing !
... sitting here waiting for mine to arrive as well....
I can dream can't I ?
cheers

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
So I did watch that video from Italy and noticed something peculiar, the app he was using. At first I thought it was a shop special they made with all that power adjustments etc but when I put in speed derestrictor into goole and Australian site came up with a product by ePlus ..... so I looked at the app and facebook and voila that is what it is. And it from an Italian shop. This is who I ordered it from below ........They have two versions and one SPECIFICALLY for the Moro ..... Enjoy .... mine will be here in Southern California .... USA in a few days, cannot wait. I have a Moro 07 Special Edition and have to say to anyone reading this, I have a very experienced motorcycle background raced dirt bikes for years and owned just about every colllectilble street bike .... the Yamaha Moro 07 has amazing steering, its really good. For an overall well balanced bike its hard to beat.

I'm not sure what's going on here with the postings...
Dm sent

Driift

Dec 6, 2023
California
Maybe they don't like full power Moros! There was an interesting youtube video comparing a fully derestricted specialized vs not and the results were actually surprising. I plan on doing a few once it arrives and comparing for all to see. Based on the parameters of the chip, there is a boatload of potential with this.

IMG_7379.jpeg

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Your absolutely correct , the amount of settings really makes the bike tricked out personally like a factory rider.
I'm also a well seasoned with Yamaha and Honda motorcycle in every form and their products. I'm glad to see the top Motorcycle Companies finally getting serious....

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Maybe they don't like full power Moros! There was an interesting youtube video comparing a fully derestricted specialized vs not and the results were actually surprising. I plan on doing a few once it arrives and comparing for all to see. Based on the parameters of the chip, there is a boatload of potential with this.

View attachment 130484
OMG 😱 you have the anniversary edition ! Talk about sweet 🤛

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
So. hard to follow, did this work or not?
This thread has been changed from the OP , there is as yet NO derestricting chip for the Yamaha Branded x-2 motors.

The later part of the discussion started by Drift is ONLY about the new Yamaha Branded X-3 motor. The chip isn't backwards compatible as far as I know.
cheers 😎

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Check out this video about the X-3 motor de-rest program and chip that Drift brought up.
Make sure you check out the questions and comments . Enjoy !

Telstar2112

Mar 30, 2024
NY
I actually have Moro 05 with the X3 motor so I think I will go ahead and give this a try. Driift, or anyone else, any issues, or is this working as advertised?

Thanks.

Driift

Dec 6, 2023
California
Well, I have ridden my bike numerous times now. I can say for a fact it derestricts the limiter but I cannot say anything happens beyond that. I feel nothing change, you still use all the lighting for the modes blue green yellow so those dont change, I thought in race mode it would bypass Yamahas system but apparently it does not. So if you have it in std mode and race, it's still standard. I look forward to your experience because I think I am still the only one who has ridden with this device.

Telstar2112

Mar 30, 2024
NY
OK, Thanks. The speed restriction is the main thing I want, and I like the idea of still having all the normal modes as indicated by the lights. But, I would love it if I could tweak it, not by speed, but by mode, and make the assistance % less of a jump between the lowest setting of two blue lights and next step up which was the 3 green. There is a big jump there and I feel it is too much assistance compared to the two blue lights.
Thanks,
Steve.

Telstar2112

Mar 30, 2024
NY
Wow, received this very quickly from Italy. Put it in and it appears to work, I was able to go over 20mph but not much over but did not try it that much yet. Will try more tomorrow. I am not sure when I am just reaching the maximum output of the motor. I did not try any of the mappings yet and am not sure I understand them. If I load the Race mapping does that effect only one of my modes or all of them? I think the bike has 5 modes or so, and I am not sure if I can send a mapping to each or you send one that effects all. I'll try it tomorrow loading the race mode and see what happens.

Driift

Dec 6, 2023
California
Wow, received this very quickly from Italy. Put it in and it appears to work, I was able to go over 20mph but not much over but did not try it that much yet. Will try more tomorrow. I am not sure when I am just reaching the maximum output of the motor. I did not try any of the mappings yet and am not sure I understand them. If I load the Race mapping does that effect only one of my modes or all of them? I think the bike has 5 modes or so, and I am not sure if I can send a mapping to each or you send one that effects all. I'll try it tomorrow loading the race mode and see what happens.
I cannot wait to hear. I
Noticed nothing different race mode no mode etc. I just noticed the destruction.

Go ahead try race mode in the eco setting. lol. Sorry but I already knkw the result.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles