Day on Pivot shuttle

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I think the problem with fame sets is the manufacturer are worried about industry standard sub 30lb bike parts making there way onto 48+lbs bikes and creating a safety issue.

I don’t get this logic about ebike specific parts. Yes the bikes weight 20lbs more. Does a 220lb rider need Clydesdale spefic parts that a 190lb rider doesn’t? The same fork would work for either of them with the same riding style. I sure as hell hope that the engineering tolerances on major bike components is significantly more than 10%. It’s likely 100-150% purely from a liability standpoint.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I don’t get this logic about ebike specific parts. Yes the bikes weight 20lbs more. Does a 220lb rider need Clydesdale spefic parts that a 190lb rider doesn’t? The same fork would work for either of them with the same riding style. I sure as hell hope that the engineering tolerances on major bike components is significantly more than 10%. It’s likely 100-150% purely from a liability standpoint.
I use an analogy that some will not like. But to compare a 125cc two stroke to a 250cc two stroke there only 6lbs difference between bikes.
But yet there entire suspension spring rates, valve code, running gear are all considerably different.
But yet the bike only rips the scale 6lbs.
There considerably larger weight differences in riders, so why does the motorcycle need such a different setting??
The tq factors of the engine is what mandates the differences. Well ebikes double the human tq.
So yea the ebike mandates different running gear.
Bike weight is fixed, rider weight is managed with bike setup.to rider weight.
When you compare a 200 lb rider to 130lb rider there one common.
The rider centralizes there own mass and weight balance. But that weight doesn’t stay in sink with bikes weight and geometry.
So yea the ebike needs different parts that sub 30lb bike doesn’t.
There been 200lb riders for decades.
Why did Schwalbe make a ebike spec tire that’s much stiffer in knobs and sidewall then any other MTB tire in history??
The tq and side load of an ebike warranted it!!
Look at it like this, if you have 200lb rider on 55lb bike that now has double the pedal tq that means you transfer weight to the rear of the bike 2 times faster and harder then previously possible, how do you manage that increase mass shift with the same components??
Throw another example outside bike world.
I raced off road truck 7 unlimited. Every race i tried to compete with the v6 engine i broke front suspension parts, 6 attempts and 6 failures dnf
Over 80 races with same truck with 4cyl and never broke any parts in front suspension, 3500lb truck and the v6 only weighs 68lb more then 4 cyl. All the parts where made by Nissan for the v6 engine.
Why did 70lbs make a difference. Co pilot is 170 + and having copilot or none never made the difference of broken front end parts.
It wasn’t the 70lb that killed the truck, it was the fact the 70lbs was to far forward and transferred more of the vehicle mass to front on big hits and the front would see 40% more of the vehicle load transfer onto the front. That is what caused the failures.
So the physics are not always as simple as 10lbs here or there

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Foes are bringing out an ebike that will be available as a frame and motor package, hopefully some other manufacturers will di the same

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My view is you dont need E-Bike specific components, you just need components that are up to the job for whatever the application. However I also think the the whole EMTB thing is evolving so quickly, and at the moment the trend is to mimic conventional mountain bike thinking, but I can see more brands getting innovative in design where the begin to look at maximising the abilities of an Emtb, rather than mimicking those of a normal MTB. I would be interested in trying a linkage fork for example on an EMTB.

Personally I cannot thing of anything worse that running a plus tyre on my EMTB, so I cant see the appeal of he Eddy Currents in their current format but would be interested if they made a slimmer version, and I cant say that I have found the tires I have been using to date on the bikes have let me down, as long as they have a tough casing.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
And in our dirt all around me and my age i can’t think why anyone wouldn’t be running plus sizes. The grip, smoothness and forgiving characters the plus brings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles