Day on Pivot shuttle

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Spent half the day putting the Pivot Shuttle through the Ringer.
My personal take on shuttle as a enduro rider.
First of all let me say i ride ebikes for one reason. Self shuttle for the downhills in a enduro setting. I don’t want a duel crown DH bike so slack it bulldozes everything.
Ride started off on tarmac, to 1200ft climb, tight switch backs with small amount of chunk on mostly hero dirt. Little mud, little sand and small amount of rocky chunky mix.
The bike climbs really well, gets through the switch backs well under power. The steps motor has great power, three power levels, eco, trail, boost. In trail and boost you can feel a very prominent gear on gear vibration in your feet while climbing and a almost annoying gear whine. After about an hour the noise didn’t seem to bother me as bad. Trail turned flat and the bike started to really shine in the quick turns and playful geometry. The suspension was taking all the small square edges like a dream and when you climbed out of the saddle for a sprint the bike was really solid like i had locked out the suspension, but i hadn’t.
Trail turned slightly downhill and tight and the 40mm internal wheels and DW Link really shine and bike was crazy fun, quick and agile as a cat. The single track ended with a 4ft drop into fire road and the 140mm rear flat ran out of travel. Had to stop for a breather after that hit. Now the trail was two track and speed was high 30+ mph and a mix of 5-7” chunk, use the mountain as a wall turn or flat inside corners and let it run. The fox forks where just killin it up front, smooth, slick and planted and the back was eating the 4-5” chunk and the smile began to peel bigger and bigger. Ripping the turns and poppin with life over small chunks.
First rough section came quick i manueled front over the first couple 8-10” chunky rocks and wheel tapped back and i though i had broken something in the rear locked them up and stopped for inspection. Couldn’t find anything wrong. But the rear carbon sounded like something broke and it transferred a lot of chunk into me. The smiles instantly ripped from my face and i was know concerned i wasn’t gonna make it home. Full inspection showed nothing wrong everything was tight and no play so back at it i went at a bit slower pace and again the smile came back and the fun was on. Slowly regaining conf and then came the entry into the chunk and the bike just sounded like it wasn’t going to survive. Front handled everything with ease but the rear got very harsh. So i changed a few settings and peddled up and hit it a few more times trying everything i know with air pressure, comp and rebound and just couldn’t get the rear to follow the lead the 150mm Fox forks set.
My final thoughts, the bike is amazingly playful, very stable and corners like a dream,the 40mm internal width rims, 2.8 tires taunts you to go faster then the rear suspension can handle and at 10k price tag, just isn’t enough bike for all terrain enduro riding that i prefer.
But i do have to say it destroys every ebike in 140mm travel rear suspension i have ridden so far.
5A36028C-5E59-483E-890E-C3934F0D5C3C.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nice review - interesting what you say about the vibration, can't say I have ever noticed that on either of my Steps motored bikes, suspect something to do with how the mech has been set up.

I suspect smaller tyres would make it even more of a ripper

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
When you come off a none ebike to the steps you notice the vibration.
May also be the very hard sole shoes and clipped in. But both bikes felt the same vibration.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have ridden lots of Brose bikes, and cant say I have ever noticed it, but I dont ride clipped in. Maybe something peculiar to the shuttle.

@Rob Hancill has one of your Fantics on test at the moment, you might be able to give him some setup advice as I am guessing you are one of the few people who has put some proper hard riding on one

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Tim29 The Pivot really is a great bike... I definitely didnt ride it as hard as you did, just some of the local trails / Surrey Hills, but you can instantly tell how good it handles. The frame and suspension are sublime.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I have ridden lots of Brose bikes, and cant say I have ever noticed it, but I dont ride clipped in. Maybe something peculiar to the shuttle.

@Rob Hancill has one of your Fantics on test at the moment, you might be able to give him some setup advice as I am guessing you are one of the few people who has put some proper hard riding on one
The shuttle is a Steps motor not a Brose

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I was wea
I rode a pivot shuttle for around 3 months and didnt notice any gear vibration.
i was riding in a 5ten Maltese shoe clipped in on crankbrothers emallet pedals.
It’s not a massive vibration. It’s just you can feel the gear mesh of the drive line in a vibration that changes with pedal speed. Both bikes felt exactly the same in the vibration.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The shuttle is a Steps motor not a Brose
Ahh - before you edited the spelling I thought your had meant to say Brose, not none ebike. Still cant say I have noticed it, and I must have ridden at least 5 different Steps engined bikes and put nearly 2000 miles on my two, in fact cant say I have ever noticed it on an EMTB of any sort, and I ride a fair few normal bikes too.

Wonder what it is, where both bikes Pivots?

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Normal five tens on flat pedals here, that could be the difference.
I thought it was a excellent bike, though it could of done with more travel and im not a fan of the dw link and i could feel its harshness but I think the weight of the bike helped to smooth this a little. Handling is very good. As ive said before its biggest problem is removing the battery and the price.
This is a very good bike but no way worth the asking price. I think pivot tried to position it as a premium boutique bike the same as a regular super bike but in a market that those type of bikes didn't exist at that price point. I think it goes to show how much certain bikes prices are artificial inflated.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I don’t think i would say artificially priced bike with comparison of components to other bikes. The tooling for the internal core frame was retarded expensive and the wheel sets are top notch.
The Fantic Carbon One is equally outfitted and rings the wallet just as hard. And the S works is knocking on the 10k door as well and it’s def not fitted with DT Swiss quality wheel sets.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its more that you are paying a lot compared to other bikes that will give as good a ride, some of the aluminium bikes out there at the moment are pretty incredible, and the carbon doesn't give you any real advantage with current levels of Emtb development - the carbon frame is what pushes the cost up, and I am guessing small volume numbers, but agree its no longer in rarified territory price wise, and you can pick one up in the UK with a pretty hefty discount.

You able to try an Intense Tazer? Would have thought that's a bike up your street.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I haven't looked at the fantic bike, the s-works again, i've not looked at the specs but, you can get a high quality levo for less than the pivot and people think those are overpriced. As @R120 the pivot now does have competition at that price range, which i don't think was the case when it first came out (could be wrong here) and again I think the same as @R120 that there are bikes that ride as good but at a cheaper price point. which is where i think im coming from, im looking at bikes that in my mind would offer a similar experience and maybe even better but cost a lot less

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think the thing is at the moment, I can look at my Vitus, which all in with upgrades such as a 180mm Lyric RC2 etc comes in at under 5k, and not remotely think that the Pivot is a better bike.

I think that aside from bigger battery options, there isn't really a massive justification at the moment in spending a lot more on EMTB's, most i look at I would rather buy the mid range model and put the parts I want on it, than fork out for the top end.

Lot of members on here who have bought base spec Levos for instance, and then gone to town with full Fox factory set ups, fancy wheels and parts, and spent a lot less than forking out for an S-Works, and have managed to get the weight down to similar levels too, and for me that's the better route to building ones ultimate Emtb at the moment.

I can see time in the future thought when we see more models within a motor manufacturers range, wherby the higher end bikes have a real point of difference, whereas part of the issue at the moment is the high end bikes aren't really that different to the normal ones apart from better parts you can change yourself. I can see why the pivot costs what it costs, far more than I can see why an S-Works cost what it costs

Ultimately for me, I would like to be able to buy bikes like the pivot, as a frameset with motor, and build it up myself.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I haven’t been able to give the intense or mountain cycles a fair shake down yet, so my comments have to stay to myself until i can give them a proper setup and trial bashing.
But i have to say if your not a serous enduro rider who pushes the limit your going to be hard pressed to find a more well rounded playful bike then the Shuttle at any price

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
One thing I do think is that the geometry and spec of it is nailed on for a fun ride, and as you say for everything outside of aggressive enduro riding I think that the Pivot hits the sweet spot in terms of geometry and suspension.

Appreciate the reviews, and the info you have put out on the Fantic ( A bike I really want to try) is the most comprehensive I have seen on the web, so keep it coming :cool:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ohh and @Tim29, you mention Mountain Cycles - are you dropping a hammer on me and telling us that the company has been rebooted and they are coming out swinging with an Emtb? I still have teenage dreams of a San Andreas

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I think the thing is at the moment, I can look at my Vitus, which all in with upgrades such as a 180mm Lyric RC2 etc comes in at under 5k, and not remotely think that the Pivot is a better bike.

I think that aside from bigger battery options, there isn't really a massive justification at the moment in spending a lot more on EMTB's, most i look at I would rather buy the mid range model and put the parts I want on it, than fork out for the top end.

Lot of members on here who have bought base spec Levos for instance, and then gone to town with full Fox factory set ups, fancy wheels and parts, and spent a lot less than forking out for an S-Works, and have managed to get the weight down to similar levels too, and for me that's the better route to building ones ultimate Emtb at the moment.

I can see time in the future thought when we see more models within a motor manufacturers range, wherby the higher end bikes have a real point of difference, whereas part of the issue at the moment is the high end bikes aren't really that different to the normal ones apart from better parts you can change yourself. I can see why the pivot costs what it costs, far more than I can see why an S-Works cost what it costs

Ultimately for me, I would like to be able to buy bikes like the pivot, as a frameset with motor, and build it up myself.
I think the problem with fame sets is the manufacturer are worried about industry standard sub 30lb bike parts making there way onto 48+lbs bikes and creating a safety issue.
Once the gen bike knowledge catches up to the ebike heavy weights i think you will find frame sets slowly working there way into the picture.
I have taken a 140 integra and stripped it and replaced rear linkage and shock and sold them as a 160 frame set.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Commencal where selling Emtb frame sets last year, but have stopped this year. Agree it would be bit of a mine field

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
I wish there was a button where upon pressing, it would play the audio clip from friends where Ross repeatedly shouts "Pivot".

I'd lay 10k down on that for sure.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Ahh - before you edited the spelling I thought your had meant to say Brose, not none ebike. Still cant say I have noticed it, and I must have ridden at least 5 different Steps engined bikes and put nearly 2000 miles on my two, in fact cant say I have ever noticed it on an EMTB of any sort, and I ride a fair few normal bikes too.

Wonder what it is, where both bikes Pivots?
Yes both the pivots in the picture. But when i ride a Bosch it feels really harsh, So does the Yamaha.
I do have my cleats deep in my shoes and tightly clipped in so I’m sure the metallic feel is coming through the metal contact making it considerably more noticeable then with flats.
I get a similar feel on the Brose when i spin up really fast over 110rpm and the S drive makes the swirling sound.
All the S drives make that noise above 85-90rpm.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I think the problem with fame sets is the manufacturer are worried about industry standard sub 30lb bike parts making there way onto 48+lbs bikes and creating a safety issue.
Once the gen bike knowledge catches up to the ebike heavy weights i think you will find frame sets slowly working there way into the picture.
I have taken a 140 integra and stripped it and replaced rear linkage and shock and sold them as a 160 frame set.
I think you are correct. also certain bike parts now have to certified as suitable for ebikes.
It's a shame there isnt some kind of half way measure where authorised dealers can have framesets under the agreement that they build the bike and build it with only ebike certified parts.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I think you are correct. also certain bike parts now have to certified as suitable for ebikes.
It's a shame there isnt some kind of half way measure where authorised dealers can have framesets under the agreement that they build the bike and build it with only ebike certified parts.
you also have limited sales in USA on ebikes so they need all the profit to keep the research going prob the fastest moving technology in bikes right now.
Face it, the only real reason a company would sell a frame set and loose large profit margin is for advanced riders and high end shops to build the ultimate bike which the manufacturer could never do and it be economically viable.
Face it the only people building frame set up bikes are those tied into industry and get 30-40% off all parts

eBikes_CDM

Jan 23, 2019
Newport Beach,CA
Having ridden a Pivot Firebird, Mach 429 and Phoenix over the years, suffice it to say I was incredibly stoked for the Shuttle. Met with the boys out at Shimano on my go to trail, did several runs. DENTIST DRILL! The motor sounds like a dentist drill, and the gear mesh vibrations were huge. I started riding eMTBs in 2014,with the first being a BH Easy Motion Neo Jumper 650b. The Shuttle put me off the e8000 for several months. Enter the Focus Jam2 Pro Plus, this bike is an absolutely beast, and the e8000 was as quiet as the rest of the pack, sans brose, could the carbon fiber on the Shuttle amplifying the resonance?While I didn't get out a decibel/pitch meter, I did take the focus out to the aforementioned trail at the prescribed 8am silent hour and bingo, no dentist drill.

ALUMINUM

Last edited:

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Not in my local bikeshop, most bikes are custom builds. and few of those are in the industry.

I've built all of my bikes for the last 12 years except for my new eBike. It's actually weird to look at the eBike and think it just came to me. Like, i "hardly" had to put any effort into thinking about it... like deciding on and gathering parts, thinking about custom geometry, and custom powder coating finishes, ext... it was such and "easy" process compared to what i'm use to. Im way into customizing stuff but it was sort of refreshing to get something pre-made that is about how i'd built it anyways...

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Maybe its different over here in England. but a lot of customers even go as far as having custom decals made, mainly for wheels to match there colour scheme but some have the frame done to.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Aside from the EMTB I haven't bought a complete MTB in the last decade or so, always get a frames and build it up, and the same goes for most of my mates, not just because they like going custom, but also we quite often have good parts that can be transferred over to a new build.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ohh and @Tim29, you mention Mountain Cycles - are you dropping a hammer on me and telling us that the company has been rebooted and they are coming out swinging with an Emtb? I still have teenage dreams of a San Andreas
I also have impure thoughts about the San Andreas...

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Having ridden a Pivot Firebird, Mach 429 and Phoenix over the years, suffice it to say I was incredibly stoked for the Shuttle. Met with the boys out at Shimano on my go to trail, did several runs. DENTIST DRILL! The motor sounds like a dentist drill, and the gear mesh vibrations were huge. I started riding eMTBs in 2014,with the first being a BH Easy Motion Neo Jumper 650b. The Shuttle put me off the e8000 for several months. Enter the Focus Jam2 Pro Plus, this bike is an absolutely beast, and the e8000 was as quiet as the rest of the pack, sans brose, could the carbon fiber on the Shuttle amplifying the resonance?While I didn't get out a decibel/pitch meter, I did take the focus out to the aforementioned trail at the prescribed 8am silent hour and bingo, no dentist drill.

ALUMINUM
I think your onto something here, as when i rode the Jam2 i didn’t notice the vibration as much or the audible noise as prominent on jam2 as the Shuttle.
Having owned a Jam2 for few months i can say i prefer the Shuttle over the Jam2.
The jam2 is a great bike but it doesn’t corner or ride as well rounded as the Shuttle does. I think the super boost and 40mm internal wheels the shuttle supports is what gives it such a refined handling characteristics.
On negative side, shuttle has about the best it can be out of the box setup. The Jam2 has many upgrades i believe improve the bike.
But the jam2 doesn’t fit into my quiver of flight.
So far the Fantic 180 is sitting on top my favorite ebike platform. It’s lacking in stock form but just a wheel set away from A corner shredding dream that will bulldoze chunk better then anything I’ve ridden.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles