Dalby Forest range test.

Charlietcat

Apr 17, 2019
North East UK
Great ride out at Dalby Forest yesterday, first long one for me on the Levo. Finished the red route (23 miles) with 36% battery left. Had it in eco for all of the easy bits, trail for fun bits & Turbo for several climbs. Guess next time I’ll use trail even more. Happy with 2hrs 30mins as when we first went & hired bikes there it took us 3hrs dead. Also we rode everything...no bottling out this time...nobody died!

Fridge

Nov 17, 2018
Northeast
Well done, I think you can smash 2.30, I am 49 and only average fitness having only jumped on a bike again 3 years ago after 20 odd years of no cycling, me and my buddy rode the full red route a few months ago he got around quicker than me but I managed 2hrs 37 mins on my orange p7 peddling all the way, my mate is fit though and went back to test himself, he did it in 2hrs 10 mins on a stumpjumper, he really amazes me with his fitness, when we did it together it was the hardest ride I have ever done but on a levo I am pretty sure you could set a 2 hour target .
can I ask if your ride was on a 500w or 700w, we are still 5 and 7 weeks away from our levos so gathering info.
Dalby PB by 25 minutes. Chuffed?
His not mine.

Last edited:

Charlietcat

Apr 17, 2019
North East UK
Well done, I think you can smash 2.30, I am 49 and only average fitness having only jumped on a bike again 3 years ago after 20 odd years of no cycling, me and my buddy rode the full red route a few months ago he got around quicker than me but I managed 2hrs 37 mins on my orange p7 peddling all the way, my mate is fit though and went back to test himself, he did it in 2hrs 10 mins on a stumpjumper, he really amazes me with his fitness, when we did it together it was the hardest ride I have ever done but on a levo I am pretty sure you could set a 2 hour target .
can I ask if your ride was on a 500w or 700w, we are still 5 and 7 weeks away from our levos so gathering info.
Dalby PB by 25 minutes. Chuffed?
His not mine.
Hi, just the 500W.

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
I ride Dalby frequently, as I live nearby in Guisborough. When I meet other riders who ask me about my ebike, I tell them that when I used to ride Dalby Red on a regular bike, it took me about 4hrs 20mins and I was always utterly and completely knackered (I am 68 years old). My best time on my Levo however is 1hr 52mins when pushing fairly hard. Usually it is about 2hrs 30mins when cruising comfortably - and then I am nowhere near being knackered. The difference with an ebike is quite shocking.

Strange how my Garmin Edge reports a different distance every time I do the exact same red route. It varies from 18 miles, as shown below, to 23 miles. Not sure why that is...

Regarding fitness, I am not particularly fit, but I was amazed to once meet a guy there who had done it TWICE on a regular bike in under 4 hours!

01.jpg

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Trying to attempt to bring this Dalby thread alive as we’ve been going there regularly recently and I’ve just paid for the annual pass!

In keeping with the posts above, the fastest time I’ve seen by a guy that seems to hold the majority of emtb KOM’s on Strava is 1 hr 22, which is quick. This is a screenshot of his red route ride on 13th May 2021. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a faster time on the red route than this, non-e or emtb

F34B2535-562D-4E74-BE8A-44B818E99C6B.jpeg

Also, there’s hundreds of amateur vids on YouTube covering Dalby, but I found this one recently and thought it was one of the best I’ve ever seen as it summarises the route just by highlighting all the better sections. He’s not on an emtb, but as a visual experience for what to expect at Dalby in terms of terrain and pace, this video is spot on:

treble99

Jun 28, 2021
hull
recently bought a e bike new to it all done dalby 6 times now managed 1 hour 22 today :) my strata stopped at 43 mins I stopped to check the chain on my bike as it was making a clicking noise and it didnt start again when I set off which I had not noticed :( had a nice clear run to

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
recently bought a e bike new to it all done dalby 6 times now managed 1 hour 22 today :) my strata stopped at 43 mins I stopped to check the chain on my bike as it was making a clicking noise and it didnt start again when I set off which I had not noticed :( had a nice clear run to

Well done that’s super fast, my quickest is 1 hr 55 so far but I do tend to chill out on the fire roads between the sections. What bike are you on?

treble99

Jun 28, 2021
hull
Well done that’s super fast, my quickest is 1 hr 55 so far but I do tend to chill out on the fire roads between the sections. What bike are you on?

its my first bike never had one before or rode one off rode its a haibike 5 bought it a couple of months ago great bit of Kit I only stopped once as it was making a clicking noise as I was peddling apart from that it was pretty much flat out :) didnt get stuck in traffic :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
its my first bike never had one before or rode one off rode its a haibike 5 bought it a couple of months ago great bit of Kit I only stopped once as it was making a clicking noise as I was peddling apart from that it was pretty much flat out :) didnt get stuck in traffic :)

Ha, I’m on the Allmtn 4. You’ve never ridden trails before yet you’re hitting Dalby red at 1 hr 22. That’s awesome, it’s pretty much the current course record. You’re faster than people that have been MTB’ ing for many many years

treble99

Jun 28, 2021
hull
Ha, I’m on the Allmtn 4. You’ve never ridden trails before yet you’re hitting Dalby red at 1 hr 22. That’s awesome, it’s pretty much the current course record. You’re faster than people that have been MTB’ ing for many many years

I have an enduro bike for years dont ride it much now tho so the down hills etc aren't a problem :) just find it good fun and no hassle

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have an enduro bike for years dont ride it much now tho so the down hills etc aren't a problem :) just find it good fun and no hassle

aah, thought you’d never ridden a bike before, any bike! I did wonder how a total novice could be hitting the course record. Thought you may have been a non forum mate winding me up haha

EezyRider

Sep 23, 2020
Lincolnshire
I was up Dalby on Sunday, 22 miles / 4400 feet of descending.... was pushed for time so only 1 battery. With 2 those figures double and it becomes a proper day out.
I don’t ride the red route except a couple of the climbs, I’ll have to try it sometime, maybe the ebike adds some fun?

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Finally done the Red Route ??What a great ride challenging in places but lots of fun ?

Came back with 32% on my 625w/Bosch Battery ride mostly in emtb definitely turbo on a few of them technical climbs

6AD370E1-7FB5-45E1-A6B6-6CDDBFC8AA08.jpeg

2E93752A-75BC-4E78-BEFB-659EBB897937.jpeg

08915BDF-1FB3-4B99-AF83-D05B3BB14D94.jpeg

21565F73-6285-4B35-A27C-D18CD049E08E.jpeg

174D35A5-C54E-4805-9B31-54C803F53009.jpeg

20F4FCA6-9ABE-4A1C-80ED-DC9802DDF294.png

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Finally done the Red Route ??What a great ride challenging in places but lots of fun ?

Came back with 32% on my 625w/Bosch Battery ride mostly in emtb definitely turbo on a few of them technical climbs

View attachment 67173

View attachment 67174

View attachment 67175

View attachment 67176

View attachment 67177

View attachment 67178

Great effort for your first time. How did you get on with the rock garden descent (Vera Lynn) & switchback descent (Medusa’s drop) ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I was up Dalby on Sunday, 22 miles / 4400 feet of descending.... was pushed for time so only 1 battery. With 2 those figures double and it becomes a proper day out.
I don’t ride the red route except a couple of the climbs, I’ll have to try it sometime, maybe the ebike adds some fun?

Yes you can easily do the full route on a higher power mode such as emtb and just blast around. The eebs take the sting out of the fire road climbs between sections

treble99

Jun 28, 2021
hull
not been riding much due to hand injury but slowly getting back to it did dalby red today bit of traffic and greasy I would have been happy with 1 hour 30 :)

3E3EB4C3-48BB-4465-B634-1625ED8D6642.png

treble99

Jun 28, 2021
hull
Trying to attempt to bring this Dalby thread alive as we’ve been going there regularly recently and I’ve just paid for the annual pass!

In keeping with the posts above, the fastest time I’ve seen by a guy that seems to hold the majority of emtb KOM’s on Strava is 1 hr 22, which is quick. This is a screenshot of his red route ride on 13th May 2021. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a faster time on the red route than this, non-e or emtb

View attachment 62280

Also, there’s hundreds of amateur vids on YouTube covering Dalby, but I found this one recently and thought it was one of the best I’ve ever seen as it summarises the route just by highlighting all the better sections. He’s not on an emtb, but as a visual experience for what to expect at Dalby in terms of terrain and pace, this video is spot on:

is the red route not over 22 miles or am I doing something wrong as this lads is not ....

D

Deleted member 7464

Are your bikes derestricted?just out of interest.
The fastest I ever did the red on a normal mtb was a whisker over 1hr30 but that was a long time ago.on my restricted levo a normal lap is still 1hr 30 without going flat out and no use of turbo.

treble99

Jun 28, 2021
hull
Are your bikes derestricted?just out of interest.
The fastest I ever did the red on a normal mtb was a whisker over 1hr30 but that was a long time ago.on my restricted levo a normal lap is still 1hr 30 without going flat out and no use of turbo.

ime fairly new to mtb I took it round the first few times restricted and I thought this is crap it was to slow .. so I took it back to be de restricted so yes mine is and to do it on a normal one in 1 hour 30 to me is very fast you must be fit !! I have done it in 1 hour 22 but I did not have it on Strava just my watch but ime still not sure on the route a I am doing over 22 miles at those times

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yea it’s about 24 miles in total

I don’t know how you get 24 miles? I always average around 21 miles, even on the rare occasions we start from the visitor centre car park, which would include the climb and final descent. Where are the mysterious extra 3 miles ?

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
I don’t know how you get 24 miles? I always average around 21 miles, even on the rare occasions we start from the visitor centre car park, which would include the climb and final descent. Where are the mysterious extra 3 miles ?
The amount of times I’ve done it usually about 38 k’s which is just under 24 miles

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The amount of times I’ve done it usually about 38 k’s which is just under 24 miles

And yet all mine are around 20 miles, apart from when starting and finishing at the visitor centre, which is 21 miles. Weird. Must be a gps error

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles