Cycle to work scheme...any good?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
My work has just started doing this and I keep getting to the end of the application to request a £1000 certificate and then keep closing it down thinking *do I really need another bike* haha. Is it worth it? Do you actually make a saving? Was thinking about putting towards and getting a full sus....because it comes out my wage....it doesn't seem that bad....does it? It's like I'll never see the money in the first place ???

Any info would be great ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haha
How many bikes have you bought since getting the bug? (only earlier this year as far as I recall)

Go on... you know you want to... One more can never hurt ;)

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
It does make the bike cheaper as the government refunds you the income tax on the money you paid for bike (i think thats how it works).

you will need to buy it from a bikeshop though i think it only cover particpating shops and also the shop wont give you extra discount as it costs them a percentage to run the scheme

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
954D1E4B-34AA-49BF-A408-6CD51F897C77.jpeg

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Haha
How many bikes have you bought since getting the bug? (only earlier this year as far as I recall)

Go on... you know you want to... One more can never hurt ;)
Including some cheaper ones when I first got the bug back in April/may ....5 so far ???. To be fair I thought the e bike would be the end of it all (and it's still my main bike) . But have to admit it's nice just getting my new non e bike hardtail out the shed and going out for 45 mins for a blast and then just throwing it back in again with no worrys or any time spent taking battery's on or off and then giving a clean as ok m scared of muck around the motor . Im even doing your trick @Gary of not wearing a helmet on my non e bike. Just throwing a wooley hat on and before I know it I'm in the fields adventuring again. Would like to have a full sus non e bike as my e bike is hardtail. ( I did have one but sold it as I like I said I thought the e bike would end this madness ?)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it never ends

(forum needs moar and multiple reaction options)

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I have done this for the last three years and not bothering this year. My company are on the Cycle to Work Scheme which is closely aligned to Halfords although there are other suppliers. I worked out I was saving about £70 over what you might get if you ask for a discount (based on being 40% tax payer) one advantage with our scheme is it comes out of salary each month but you do need to pay fair market value at the end. Also our scheme is capped at £1k.

Topham

Nov 2, 2018
North Wales
I looked at the salary sacrifice. It works out roughly like this

If your a higher rate tax payer, then you can claim up to 1k in voucher which can be used for bikes, 2 bikes or accessories or bike and accessories.

Out of your income, you end up losing £83.33 gross which equates to roughly £48.34 out of nett income per month

So a £1k bike over 12 months is costing £580.

At the end of that year, as mentioned above you need to pay a fair market share of what that bike is worth.

Example

market value is applied = £550 minus £30 Helmet = £520.00 minus VAT = £433.34
£433.34 is less than £500, therefore;
12 month valuation percentage = 18%
4 year valuation percentage = 3%
4 year valuation = 433.34 * 3% = £13.00 + VAT = £15.60

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
If your employer has a credit license they can offer more than £1k; mine does up to £3k. On that basis it is worth it if you are a higher rate tax payer, but if you aren’t or you are limited to £1k max I’d suggest you’re probably better buying it with discount and a 0% finance deal.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Check out the Green Commute Initiative, there’s no £1k limit (I think it’s £10k). I’ve just bought my 2019 Levo Carbon Comp through it with Berkshire Cycles, I just have to pay for it now.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unfortunately, corporate aren't interested in anything other than Cyclescheme.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Unfortunately, corporate aren't interested in anything other than Cyclescheme.
That’s a shame. I found out about it from the Specialized concept store in Ruislip. I asked the hr team at work and surprisingly they agreed. Previously they would only do the scheme with Evans.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
As it stands I'd just buy a second battery but all the stores I contacted say I can't buy only accessories. It's a shame they can't be bothered to learn what the scheme can be used for.

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
As it stands I'd just buy a second battery but all the stores I contacted say I can't buy only accessories. It's a shame they can't be bothered to learn what the scheme can be used for.
That is a shame mate...and wrong! I have just used a £1000 cycle to work scheme voucher to buy new wheels, some kit and accessories only!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Same here as not worth the hassle and larger exposure.
Yep, there are not many bike shops signed up with the GCI compared to Cyclescheme, and for a major corporate already offering B2W via them or another big provider there’s no big value proposition to changing. I may still suggest it to my HR department though, as I have 3 years til I can next utilise it anyway - they might be up for a change of provider by then!

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
I’m on my 4th, latest one a very fast Scott Scale 29er, ends this month and guess what, the scheme is live again....
Must admit a 2nd battery would be nice.....
There again I’m trying to work out how to get an e- Sommet in December.....
Jeez, why can’t I stop wanting...........

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I’m on my 4th, latest one a very fast Scott Scale 29er, ends this month and guess what, the scheme is live again....
Must admit a 2nd battery would be nice.....
There again I’m trying to work out how to get my e- Sommet in December.....
Jeez, why can’t I stop wanting...........
Tell me about it....I'm gagging for the Vitus sentier VR non e bike 2019. And once ive got that I'll gag for something else....I keep saying to myself...if I buy that though then I won't want anything anymore.....yeh right ??.

I requested a certificate on Friday and checked this evening and it says 'archived and completed ' like I've had one before (I haven't ) and now says 'you can now apply for a new cycle to work scheme'. It's like my first request has jumped straight from applied to full completion of the final payment and everything ....weird. I've emailed them.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Tell me about it....I'm gagging for the Vitus sentier VR non e bike 2019. And once ive got that I'll gag for something else....I keep saying to myself...if I buy that though then I won't want anything anymore.....yeh right ??.

I requested a certificate on Friday and checked this evening and it says 'archived and completed ' like I've had one before (I haven't ) and now says 'you can now apply for a new cycle to work scheme'. It's like my first request has jumped straight from applied to full completion of the final payment and everything ....weird. I've emailed them.

I've thought about using plastic to get the Vitus...but I've just got them all fully paid off. My wife would kill me too ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles