Cushcore on Bontrager Line comp wheels

Rikster

Jul 3, 2020
There where my bike takes me
Lets ask the question here instead of the general forum, for the Trekminded bikemob :)

Thinking of setting up the Rail 9.8 with cushcore. Has anyone tried it on Bontrager Line 30 comp wheels? Heard the dedicated plastic bontrager rimstrip could cause some problems?

Currently using the Huck Norris foam-insert but when I changed the tire it was dented and ripped. So looking for a better insert because I don't like the ride of the DD-version and they wont mount to the rim.......EXO mount's perfect.

Suggested setup:
Bontrager Line 30 comp with plastic bontrager rimstrip
Cushcore XC
Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT EXO Dual

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Yes, done with my Rail 9.8. I removed the plastic Bontrager rim strips and taped the rims with Stans rim tape. No problem at all with getting both the stock 2.6 Bontrager SE5 tyres to seat up nicely and also 2.6 Minion DHF and DHR2 at a later date. I used Cushcore Pro and did both wheels.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
@BrentD Did you do it for rim protection or lower pressures. If it was to run lower pressures did you notice the cushcore in the tyre or did it just feel like a softer tyre?

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
@BrentD Did you do it for rim protection or lower pressures. If it was to run lower pressures did you notice the cushcore in the tyre or did it just feel like a softer tyre?
I mainly did it as a pre-emptive measure right from when the bike was new given the stock Bontrager rims reputation for being made of cheese (and not a particularly hard cheese) that I have previously had problems with on a Trek Remedy I owned that I managed to beat up quite easily despite being a relatively light rider (75kg riding weight) and not really ever seeing a rock (they are so rare on Auckland and Rotorua trails that I mainly ride we'd stop and take a photo of one if we saw one!). Being light, I have always liked low pressure in my tyres anyway as I love the traction on steep, techy terrain. I don't know whether I'm good enough to be able to tell the difference between Cushcore and not as I don't notice too much difference between the Rail with Cushcore and my S-Works Enduro though the Enduro does have carbon rims.

Edit: both bikes running essentially the same tyres (DHF/DHR2) but 2.6 both ends on the Rail and 2.5/2.4 on the Enduro.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Great feedback thanks. I’m in Nelson and we’re lucky to have roots and rocks to wreck us. I’m finding 18psi on the front dhf to be the magic number for grip and comfort but am hoping there won’t be an additional change to the feeling of the tyre with a cc installed

Rikster

Jul 3, 2020
There where my bike takes me
Well, got some cushcore's on friday. Wanted to keep the rimstrip and got the XC version becasue a friend told they would work better with the rimstrip. Mounted them saturday, they fitted pretty nice and no problems mounting them.

The ride on sunday was a complete surprise how plush the tires felt, much better than with the Huck Norris. Dropping the air pressure to 1,7bar (about 25psi) at the back and 1,4 (about 20psi) in the front worked super on the trails around Vaals/Achen (3 country point Netherlands-Belgium-Germany).

The setup;
front - Bontrager Line Comp 30, Cushcore XC, Maxxis Assegai 3C Maxterra 2.5 WT EXO
back - Bontrager Line Comp 30, Cushcore XC, Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT Dual EXO

So thanks for the feedback!!

Brian.Silverio

Aug 21, 2023
Colorado
Well, got some cushcore's on friday. Wanted to keep the rimstrip and got the XC version becasue a friend told they would work better with the rimstrip. Mounted them saturday, they fitted pretty nice and no problems mounting them.

The ride on sunday was a complete surprise how plush the tires felt, much better than with the Huck Norris. Dropping the air pressure to 1,7bar (about 25psi) at the back and 1,4 (about 20psi) in the front worked super on the trails around Vaals/Achen (3 country point Netherlands-Belgium-Germany).

The setup;
front - Bontrager Line Comp 30, Cushcore XC, Maxxis Assegai 3C Maxterra 2.5 WT EXO
back - Bontrager Line Comp 30, Cushcore XC, Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 WT Dual EXO

So thanks for the feedback!!
Hey Rikster, I essentially have the same set up for your front for my back wheel. Have you replaced/removed the tire yet? With the rim strip I’m having a very difficult time taking off the tire. Welcome to suggestions if you have any.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I mainly did it as a pre-emptive measure right from when the bike was new given the stock Bontrager rims reputation for being made of cheese (and not a particularly hard cheese) that I have previously had problems with on a Trek Remedy I owned that I managed to beat up quite easily despite being a relatively light rider (75kg riding weight) and not really ever seeing a rock
This used to be the case for older Line Comp alloy wheels but in late 2021 Trek released an all new Line comp.

The all-new alloy G609 rim is made out of the same material Trek's Factory DH team's rims use. It's made to be strong, durable, and capable of handling a variety of riders and terrain. It has a shallow 20mm depth and a 29mm inner rim width to keep the rim strong yet still offer compliance.

If your on a 2022 Trek 9.8 then you'll have the new stronger wheels. Ive beaten the crap out of mine with no inserts and they are running perfect.

Brian.Silverio

Aug 21, 2023
Colorado
This used to be the case for older Line Comp alloy wheels but in late 2021 Trek released an all new Line comp.

If your on a 2022 Trek 9.8 then you'll have the new stronger wheels. Ive beaten the crap out of mine with no inserts and they are running perfect.
@JP-NZ good to know, and thanks for the response. Mine are carbon and a few years old (MY 2018?). So, I need the CushCore to protect the investment.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA

Just so everyone knows the new "Low profile" Line Comp rim has a sleeved connection on the rim instead of a welded seam. This is a downgrade that makes the rim heavier, weaker, and prone to leaking when run tubeless. I refuse to run the new rims and bought several of the previous gen rims to build up on the rapid drive hubs. My only complaint with the stock wheels are the spokes which tend to break at the threads.

I have installed a cushcore on one of my Line wheels with Bontrager rim strip and SE 6 tire, it was not easy but I don't have to run sealant with it. I still run 30psi so it is mainly for rim protection when bashing through rock gardens.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles