Rail (625Wh) Cushcore inserts on Trek Rail what PSI?

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Hey guys I just put a set of Cushcore on my Trek Rail 9.7 I'm the heavier side (240lbs 110kg) and hate a super firm ride and hate pinch flats and I've had a few. I typically ride about 30psi in the front and about 28psi in the rear. How low can I go????

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
I wound up around 26F /28R if I put 26 in the rear it felt like I was burping the tire and on turns it felt like I was really rolling the side walls. I might try and lower to 24 in the front and see how that feels.

Question: Do you typically put more in the Front or the Rear. I thought I read that typically you have more air in the front. Not sure why I keep more air in the back. It should be the other way around correct. If I'm using a racing car analogy (drag racing) for a Rear wheel based car they always use lower air pressure in the rear tire for better traction. But then again im not drag racing. I'm riding more similar to a road course not drag race. I'm doing more all trail type riding not down hill or cross country but a mix.

Arron M

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
As some one who has drag raced, you cannot apply this analogy, because in drag racing it’s all about weight transfer and getting the tyre to grip radially, sidewall flex adds a nice buffer for these loads but not sideways loads, So now if you take that exact same tire (and pressure) at the end of the run and hook into the turn at the end of the strip at speed, what happens? The sidewall falls over and you may even pop off a bead.

You want to set your pressures much more like a circuit car where cornering grip is the main objective. Honestly I feel like the grip is best when pressures are even front to back, but a couple extra psi in the rear assists with preventing damage as this is the wheel you case on everything when things get rough and often you’re weight is back if it’s rough and steep.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
I don't think anyone's pressure would apply to you. It would really depend on your riding style and trails.
If you were running tubeless and low pressure before installing cush core, I'd start 2 psi lower than what you were running before.

Ride your usual trails and dial the pressure up or down until you find a pressure that dampens the rough stuff enough for you but still allows enough support for the tire.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles